BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I wonder if Dinan would send me an S2 badge? I contacted them before buying to confirm the options on it.
I think you'll have to install Dinan springs/Konis/rear sway bar at a minimum? They may require front camber plates too. At least way back in the old days, an "S2" required the full Dinan stage 3 suspension which at the time was: springs, Konis, rear sway bar, camber plates (later they added the 1mm larger front sway bar to that).

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Congrats and welcome. If you're looking for things to do, I'd ditch the wood trim for piano black. Do you know and trust a shop to do a P(ost)PI on the car?
Thanks! I kinda like the wood trim! Though the "M" emblem on the shifter is pretty word out so maybe I'll replace it. But I'm open to suggestions. I do have a shop I trust to to a post PI on the car in Fremont called Trackspec. They did work on my E46 M3 and I went to college with one of the owners. Their new shop car is a totally sweet K20 powered exige.

I think you'll have to install Dinan springs/Konis/rear sway bar at a minimum? They may require front camber plates too. At least way back in the old days, an "S2" required the full Dinan stage 3 suspension which at the time was: springs, Konis, rear sway bar, camber plates (later they added the 1mm larger front sway bar to that).
Ah that would make sense. I was planning on going that route in a little while once I've saved up some more money given that the stock springs/shocks might not have all that much life left in them at this point too.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Oh, you're in the Bay Area? You'll have to swing by the paddock in Campbell at some point... TrackSpec is a great shop, I've known Jon for a few years...

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh nice! Yeah, I went to college with Victoria. I'm not familiar with the Paddock?

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Also, anyone have any good advice on how to restore the front seats? I did a quick search but all the threads were kind of old so if there's some new latest and greatest technique/product, please let me know!

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Most of the issues are on the passenger seat where I think the previous owner's dog sort of did a number on them. Let's see if I can post pics on the first try...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Some Leatherique dye will clean that right up. Clean the seats with a bit of 50/50 isopropyl water mix to remove any dirt / waxes. Dye until happy. Let dry for a few days and coat with SwissVax. I have some pics of the seats from my $600 project M5 I'll post before / after on...

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh wow, looks great! What was the other work you were doing on the interior and engine bay.

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Would love to after I get some of the initial stuff sorted. Sounds like registering an out of state car is a little tougher in covid times.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Not sure if AAA does out of state, I don't know if you need the DMV inspection. If so, it's probably more tedious. Might even be worth going somewhere further away with less people trying to get things done....

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
AAA does out of state but I need either CHP or a private VIN inspector to verify the VIN. I'd rather not go to the CHP because of all the Dinan stuff. Even though it all has CARB stickers, it could create added confusion.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts