BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am a member of M3forum, and I am excited to join the M5board. I've heard nothing but great things about this forum.

I recently traded in my 2005 Competition Package E46 M3 (which I promised myself to never sell:dunno:) for a 2006 E60 M5. I would have kept both, but we needed a wagon for the doggies, so the TDI SportsWagen had to stay. I guess, in a way, it's nice to keep the diesel; it keeps the average household gas mileage relatively high (12mpg for M5 and 40mpg for the TDI comes out to about 26mpg - not too shabby).

My own Quick Comparison:
M5 is a much different animal than the M3. I expected it to be a premium version of the M3. However, it's in a different segment. M3 was more of a sports car, M5 is much more of a car. Much more drivable, livable, with much more power, room and refinement BUT less connected. You can get the tactility of the M3 in an M5 but you have to work a bit harder. Maybe this is just because the limits are even further away in the M5 (only reachable on the track). I am looking forward to many driving events with the M5 and the local BMW CCA chapter (Northstar BMW). Can't wait to see how it does on the track, M3 just became alive there.

I guess these are my initial takes on the two cars.

Here are the pictures of the old car where she shined the most:

Missing the apex:

And the new beast (Sapphire Black):

Indianapolis Red Full Leather (what made me sell the M3)

I plan to use the M5 as intended. I will be driving it all the time, year round, even in Minnesota. I just had Blizzak LM-60s installed, and no issues in deep snow or ice. In fact, it can be fun and predictable with DSC off.

The new car is a 2006, the only things I would change is LCI lights (headlights and tail lights) and newer hard drive based CIC + related components, but I am not sure it's worth the cost.

Reactions: tlg and Gustav

·
Registered
370 Posts
Congrats and welcome :) sweet color combo!!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Welcome to M5board! Nice choice to go with a Black Sapphire/Indy Red car...one of my favorite color combos. And nice M3 as well! I've always wanted to get behind the wheel of the M3 Competition Package. Btw, if you want a nicer looking headlight without spending the money on 08+ headlights, get the 06 Euro headlights from Hella. They look far better than the American headlights and I'm pretty sure its not a ridiculously expensive upgrade.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome and don't forget to respect the Beast!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nice color combo, I didn't like my headlights either and just bought the Euro stickers. I clear bra'd the car and the stickers and I think it looks great.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Welcome, you now join many of us who gave up our M3s for the E60. Enjoy the E60 and then let the mods begin. THey will really transform the car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome guys.

By the way I bought an extended warranty for this car. It wasn't too bad for 4 years. Nothing like a peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new M5, the extended warranty is definitely the right decison:M5thumbs:

Enjoy your new beast that's an absolutely gorgeous color combo:goldcup:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome nice to see another M in Minnesnowta!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I have an 2006 E60 and agree with you about the work that it takes to drive this car. It is SUCH a driver's car. I love the fact the car is SO DEMANDING. I find it to be the BEST ESCAPE FROM LIFE I OWN. Concentrating on driving this car is so much fun that I cannot wait to get in and punch that start button.

Enjoy the beautiful new to you car.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Welcome to the M5board! Love the red leather! Nice color combo!:blabla:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome...

Getting here a little late today, welcome to the forums.:goldcup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
it is not necessary to write with huge letters. :D
welcome on board. both m3 and m5 are very nice cars, in a little bit different ways though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts