BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I just bought a Intravee II and Alpine I pod interface.

My question is where did everyone get the ai-net to ipod cable that is long enough to run from the boot to the glove box in the e39?

Any help on vendor and model numbers would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Rob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Intravee II Install

I will pull together a post with pics on this, but I mounted the Intravee where the CD changer was, bought a 15ft generic Ainet cable off Ebay, ran the cable down the drivers side of the car from the trunck, installed the Alpine KCA-420i on the drivers side, just above the dead pedal area, there is plenty of dead space there if you remove the panel above the pedals. I then ran the ipod connection cable to the center console, drilled a small hole in the roll top storage unit and have a totally concealed connection for the ipod.

There was a post on installing the intravee under the drivers seat, I would say this is not that clean of an install and if you fully move the seat forwards,backwards,up/down you could have clearance and cable issues.

SL

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SL,

I would love to see your pictures. I am planning on doing the install this weekend. I was thinking about pulling out the change storage and using that hole to place my ipod into it. With your idea of installing the 420i about the dead pedal that would make the run into the door panel pretty simple.

Has anyone tried that location? I haven't measured it yet to see if it is even an option but by eye balling it I think it will fit. The glove box isn't a safe reach for a short guy like me while driving so I am trying to find a way to install it within reach.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you have the deep sleep issue, he only sure fix is a hack to the circuit on the KCA-420i interface that can be done. If you drive your M5 at least every other day and listen to the iPod you should never have an issue. The Intravee interface is good enough that you do not need to have access to the iPod during operation. I've jhad my IV2 for quite a while now and have it, my iPod and my HD radio module securely mounted in the trunk area where the CD changer used to be. I never need to touch them unless I've been away for a week on a business trip and then it is a quick open the trunk and boot the ipod process.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
An alternative to modifying the KCA-420i to allow wake up from Deep Sleep/Hibernation is to use calendar reminders (not Alarms). The main issue with this is the battery life of the iPod if left for a long period, with an Ipod Video you should get about 3 weeks, with a Classic or Gen2/3 Nano it will last several months, most older iPods will last a little over a week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll have to get my pics together, just a thought on the leaving the iPod in the trunk or having it readily available.

If you have a fairly static iPod with a large collection that you don't change, leave it in the trunk, if you are an active user, listen to podcasts daily, add music regularly, you will be taking the iPod with you to update it daily. I also plan on migrating to iPhone and/or Touch so I want the option of using it as an iPod or disconnecting to use as a phone. All that being said, glove box, center console or the coin tray could work for that purpose.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the iphone supports G3 and better syc'ing I will also go to one. But I can do a simple trunk install for now and if I need to move it up front I can do it at that time. No real time waisted since the trunk install is so simple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know there were some posts out here somewhere on a splitter unit so that one could keep both the iPod AND the CD player connected...anyone remember that or have any data? I have done a few searches but didn't find it.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You need an AI-Net switch. Either a KCA-410c or the older KCA-400c. In either case you can't keep the OEM CD Changer, but you can use an Alpine changer (the CHA-S634 will play MP3 CD's) which are physically the same size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
excellent!! thanks. if you use another interface, such as the dice, does the same info apply regarding the original changer? Almost doesnt seem worth it for the rare occasion when a CD is required...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
With any of the iPod interfaces that give you some form of control of the iPod or display of text you will lose the OEM CD Changer. These devices emulate a CD Changer and the car only supports one such device.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will pull together a post with pics on this, but I mounted the Intravee where the CD changer was, bought a 15ft generic Ainet cable off Ebay, ran the cable down the drivers side of the car from the trunck, installed the Alpine KCA-420i on the drivers side, just above the dead pedal area, there is plenty of dead space there if you remove the panel above the pedals. I then ran the ipod connection cable to the center console, drilled a small hole in the roll top storage unit and have a totally concealed connection for the ipod.

There was a post on installing the intravee under the drivers seat, I would say this is not that clean of an install and if you fully move the seat forwards,backwards,up/down you could have clearance and cable issues.

SL
I was too much of a wimp to do the work myself, but the Tweeter guy mounted the Intravee unit in the trunk near the CD changer, ran the cable from there all the way to the Alpine unit mounted in a dead space area under the glove comparment, and then the wire from the Alpine unit comes in through the back of the glove compartment. I couldn't be happier with this install - wish I had done it as soon as I bought the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts