BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on a situation that's just started recently. Intermittently, the engine seems to "hiccup", and the tach bounces around for a few seconds, and then seems okay.

The car starts fine and runs great, but at idle, there seems to be something amiss...very slight, but there nonetheless.

I've noticed this more now that the weather is warm again here in the North East. (Finally!)
Never had a problem like this before, and I'm wondering if it's just a case of bad gas, etc. Should I try one of those commercial fuel treatments??

The dealer did the fuel system treatment when I had Inspection 1 about 6 months ago. Any advice would be great. Thanks...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Not to worry. I sometimes will get an oscillation when I first start the car in the morning. The tach will move up and down a couple hundred rpm's before it settles down. It usually goes away after I run the car in gear a minute or so. Gremlins perhaps, no just warm up issues that fix themselves from time to time.

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 00 does the same thing when 1st cranked. it is normal from what my dealer has told me. i did get a kick out of a buddy's statement. "it's just camin" and how pretty that sound is..:M5rev:
lsdvm said:
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on a situation that's just started recently. Intermittently, the engine seems to "hiccup", and the tach bounces around for a few seconds, and then seems okay.

The car starts fine and runs great, but at idle, there seems to be something amiss...very slight, but there nonetheless.

I've noticed this more now that the weather is warm again here in the North East. (Finally!)
Never had a problem like this before, and I'm wondering if it's just a case of bad gas, etc. Should I try one of those commercial fuel treatments??

The dealer did the fuel system treatment when I had Inspection 1 about 6 months ago. Any advice would be great. Thanks...

·
Registered
56 Posts
m5 guru maybe you could help on the thread about mods=hp thanks
MAH said:
Not to worry. I sometimes will get an oscillation when I first start the car in the morning. The tach will move up and down a couple hundred rpm's before it settles down. It usually goes away after I run the car in gear a minute or so. Gremlins perhaps, no just warm up issues that fix themselves from time to time.

Mark

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
gilmores m5 said:
m5 guru maybe you could help on the thread about mods=hp thanks
I'll have a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi just curious what the solution was to this issue? I seem to have a similar problem, runs fine more or less, but then at idle there is a slight stumble or hiccup and then it goes back to normal (no jumping around). it's intermittent, maybe 30 -45 seconds between stumbles, and will rarely occur when cold. After the car warms up or after spirited driving it happens moer often. The vanos and cps have recently been fixed/replaced so it shouldnt be that and I am unsure of where to begin in diagnosing. No CEL and no mis firing under load leads me to believe a possible vacuum leak somewhere? or ignition coils (which i hope not) possibly O2 sensors or Maf? any advice or tips?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts