BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today when starting the engine I got a message on the cluster saying "Check lowbeam lights". I looked at them and the right one was not working. I know xenon lights are very durable but as mine are programmed to turn on and off automatically with the engine, I thought maybe it has died and the bulb needed replacement.

I drove 650 km during the day with the lights off. Every time I stopped and turned them on, I got the error on the cluster. Then looking at the back of another car which reflected my lights I noticed that when I turn the lights on the right one (with the problem) would quickly light up and then go off again in about 0.5 sec.

I drove some more and now the light is working just fine, no more error shown either.

The left light was OK all the time, no problem at all.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is the bulb or the ballast dying? Or is it something else?

And are the bulbs on sale in eBay for about 10% of the price of the ones from BMW actually good?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Good chance it's the ballast. Mine would flicker then stay off.

Generally a bulb will either completely die or slowly chance color, i think to a point where it's pink, then die.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Also could be a loose/pinched/corroded wire or connector. Is there any water or condensation inside the lens cover?
Turn the light on and wiggle all the connections to the ballast and the bulb.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Just swap ballasts. If you have a bad ballast, the problem should also switch sides. If not, switch bulbs.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Also could be a loose/pinched/corroded wire or connector. Is there any water or condensation inside the lens cover?
Turn the light on and wiggle all the connections to the ballast and the bulb.
Just swap ballasts. If you have a bad ballast, the problem should also switch sides. If not, switch bulbs.

Regards,
Jerry
Both of those are excellent ideas and should narrow it to the culprit.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I just checked the bulb again - it is now completely pink.
If it is the bulb, you only need to replace one. But since the expected life would similar, suggest you replace in pairs and keep the good old one as a spare.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I now replaced the bulb and everything seems to be fine. I got 5000K though and it is a bit more yellow than the original one. Does anyone know what the originals are? I see there are 5500K and 6000K available in different shops (not from BMW).

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
The OEM Osram D2S bulbs are only 4300K.

·
Registered
257 Posts
4300k is the brightest, but if you want to have that crystal clear white, which looks a bit blue when your eyes aren't used to it, that's normally 6000k. I have a pair of these bulbs to go in my beast as mine have gone a little pink. It's quite a nice modification to do - I like the clear white colour, but the 4300k bulbs are definitely a bit better for long range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts