BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I have had this problem recently that I am having a little trouble diagnosing.
Every once in a while I blow some blue smoke out the tail pipes. Sometimes after WOT and other times just after coming to a stop such as at a red light. Its been there somewhat, but seems to be getting more frequent and noticeable.
The weird thing is, is that I had my buddy follow behind me and I went on a few WOT runs up to about 5k while it was still slightly cool, then WOT runs to redline when it warmed up, and nothing; no smoke but just a little puff of grey when I downshifted. Next day I get on the throttle after going through a toll booth and I can see a fair amount of blue smoke out the back and can smell it pretty strong in the cabin.
So here is some stuff you should know: Car is a 2000, has 90k right now, cat delete, and consumes about a quart of oil every 700-1000 miles. Recently did an oil change and oil didn't look too bad wasn't black or anything. Also there is always some oil leaking out of my oil cap. I bought a new one a while ago, but it still leaks which made me think there is too much pressure and that might make the oil push out of the cap. So I pulled out the crankcase ventilation valves to see if they were clogged, and I cleaned them as best as I could (didn't seem to dirty) and reinstalled. Took it for a run no oil smell, but next day it was back.
Now most recently I have noticed it when I come to a stop. It is so much sometimes that while I am sitting there I can see the smoke coming past my window and passengers. Makes me feel like I am driving a civic when people are staring at my car surrounded by a bluish haze.
I plan on getting new CVVs next paycheck just as maintenance, but I fear this isn't the main problem. From what I understand it's a little early for my engine to have ring problems, but I guess it's still possible. I am going to do a leak down test eventually to see where I am at hopefully in the next week or so. I have also heard that it might be a valve seal problem? But I am not too sure how to check that as easily as leak down and replacing CVV.

Sooo… What I have to ask you all is, is there anything I am missing? Any troubleshooting ideas that could help figure out the root of my problem? Trying to go about this the right way. Would love to see a supercharger in my future but am afraid it might not be able to handle it.
Thanks for all your guys time
Blake

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Sounds like valve stem seals. It's typical for them to leak at idle like that. And a guru on here has said it tends to be the exhaust valve stem seals. As you say, that is hard to test for, except by eliminating the other possibilities. And talking of eliminating possibilities, you need to read that thread link above. There is much more to maintaining the crankcase ventilation system on these cars than just cleaning the separators (they are oil/air separators, not valves).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will read thought it right now thanks.

Just another example, today I was driving in to work and lightly got on it in 4th at around 45 and tons and tons of blue smoke poured out the tailpipes. Enough that I noticed it in my rear view mirror. I let off and get through some traffic and get on it hard, an no smoke at all. Isn't that really really odd? It's like somehow oil comes rushing in to my intake randomly.
Am I right to say its probably not rings because those would burn almost all the time?
Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope right now it's at dead center. I just changed my oil.
Before it was even a bit low hovering around the low mark and all the symptoms were the same.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did you notice the smell and smoke before getting the cat delete? I too have a similar issue where every now and then I smell burning oil and see it some oil coming out of the tips, this happens more often when coasting down a hill - high or low gears doesn't really make a difference. Coming to a stop I get a whiff of burning 10w60. This only started happening after I removed the cats. My car has always used about 1 litre every 1500kms.

I think the cats do a such a great job of converting the burning oil that it's not as noticeable beforehand. The entire air/oil separator system on mine was done with new parts, this made no difference btw, I also have no new oil leaks appearing having degreased the engine 2 weeks ago.

Forgot to mention that I get no oil pooling on the air filters, but I can smell oil when I remove the air filters from the boxes. This leads me to believe oil is not being separated correctly and making it's way in to the inlet plenum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, so update time. I ran the car with the plenum cover off and waited to see any oil and sure enough I saw a ton of oil vapors coming from both my oil seperators. So I replaced all 5 oil seperator hoses and the seperators themselves and changed the oil. STILL BURNING A LOT OF OIL FROM THEM!! I let them settle in for a fe days and then checked them again and they are still pushing out a ton of oil vapors into the plenum. Now what? Not sure what the next step is to take right now so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
What year is your car? Month of build would help too. The vapor you see with the plenum cover off is the vapor caused by blow by. It won't be representative of what it happening with the cover on but it probably is an indicator. It is possible what you are seeing is normal, take a vid if you can.
Not much you can do short of rebuilding the engine and replacing the rings. Sorry but that is what it takes for most of these oil problems. Either learn to live with it or rebuild it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts