BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo Gang,
I follow the board but don't post often. I have a 2000 M5 with 92,000 miles that has had a slight low speed miss since I get it 15,000 miles ago. It occurs primarily at 800 to 1500 RPm under load and I have ignored it and just kept the revs up but this weekend I was cruising at 2300 Rpm in 6th and it started when I was passing another car. I called BMP design and Chris told me that he didn't feel that changing the coils would help and to post here, that it was probably cam timing sensors. What is your experience with this problem and how would you proceed. I even thought about having an upgrade done on the ECU but again Chris said it would not solve this problem. Can't spend any money ther becasue they don't selll the sensors. These guys are something else. I had a 1995 M3 that I followed their directin on segmental upgrades and eventually sold the car to a friend and he had it Dynoed at 303 hp at the wheels. Nothing internal was ever done just cams, exhaust, and intake nozzel. Then they give free advice and tell you to keep yur money WOW!!!
mikeh
A special hello to Gerry!!!! in PBG

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
are you getting any 'service engine soon' lights? You might want to find someone would can check if you have any fault codes stored. Sure it could be a cam position sensor, sounds more likely to be a mass airflow sensor, based on the symptoms and milage. If you do not have an ses light, or codes, just an occasional low rpm miss, especially when cold, i'd bet on the mafs. Do a search on the board, there is a recent thread for replacing just the mafs insert, rather than the whole unit.
Mike

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
mikeh said:
Helllo Gang,
I follow the board but don't post often. I have a 2000 M5 with 92,000 miles that has had a slight low speed miss since I get it 15,000 miles ago. It occurs primarily at 800 to 1500 RPm under load and I have ignored it and just kept the revs up but this weekend I was cruising at 2300 Rpm in 6th and it started when I was passing another car. I called BMP design and Chris told me that he didn't feel that changing the coils would help and to post here, that it was probably cam timing sensors. What is your experience with this problem and how would you proceed. I even thought about having an upgrade done on the ECU but again Chris said it would not solve this problem. Can't spend any money ther becasue they don't selll the sensors. These guys are something else. I had a 1995 M3 that I followed their directin on segmental upgrades and eventually sold the car to a friend and he had it Dynoed at 303 hp at the wheels. Nothing internal was ever done just cams, exhaust, and intake nozzel. Then they give free advice and tell you to keep yur money WOW!!!
mikeh
A special hello to Gerry!!!! in PBG
Mike
We can go for a ride and do a MAF test, it is easy and a good excuse to go fast! Don't recall if we talked about a possible bad coil, if I change mine out with the Plasma coils I have, we can try to swap.
The CPS's are not expensive, I think the intake is about $80 ish. Ernie or Peter S. could change that out for you, but CPS usually throws a code. Maybe I will have to take your car for a ride! :haha2: :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, I am uip for anything it is a shame when such a fine car stubles at any speed. Call Me 309 1082
thanks
mikeh
gsfent said:
Mike
We can go for a ride and do a MAF test, it is easy and a good excuse to go fast! Don't recall if we talked about a possible bad coil, if I change mine out with the Plasma coils I have, we can try to swap.
The CPS's are not expensive, I think the intake is about $80 ish. Ernie or Peter S. could change that out for you, but CPS usually throws a code. Maybe I will have to take your car for a ride! :haha2: :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the latest up date for this on-going situation is that all the coils have been replaced with OEM coils and it continiued, then we checked the computer and found 3 "bad" coils out of the batch and replaced them the supplier said that he had had a 20% return on these and after installing them we had 2 addditional and one of the 2nd replacement coils go bad currently it is showing no codes however it still stumbles if loaded in a higher gear. Jerry has shown that it doesnt' do this when run in sport mode but that isn't comfortable for around town or wifely transport! I'll keep the board informed as we try other ideas and will continue to check for suggestions.
thanks
mikeh

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
have you tried mafs yet? They will often give issues before throwing a code.
Look around the board for links to suppliers, they're cheap and at your milage, they should probably have been replaced two or three times already!
Mike

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
No codes??? That will make it a bit more difficult to diagnose. Good Luck - keep us posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the quick repsonse. No I haven't done the MAFS since I've owned the car and I will do that although it just got a complete diagnostic on the computer and showed no code or history, but we all know that isn't a lock.
again thanks
mikeh

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
mikeh said:
Thanks for the quick repsonse. No I haven't done the MAFS since I've owned the car and I will do that although it just got a complete diagnostic on the computer and showed no code or history, but we all know that isn't a lock.
again thanks
mikeh

mafs can definatly be on the way out without a code. I personally think a routine replacement of every 30k or so is a good plan, esp since we can find them quite cheaply using the vw parts.
Mike

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
mottati said:
mafs can definatly be on the way out without a code. I personally think a routine replacement of every 30k or so is a good plan, esp since we can find them quite cheaply using the vw parts.
Mike
Or at least test them every 30K!:biggrinbounce: :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
mikeh said:
Well the latest up date for this on-going situation is that all the coils have been replaced with OEM coils and it continiued, then we checked the computer and found 3 "bad" coils out of the batch and replaced them the supplier said that he had had a 20% return on these and after installing them we had 2 addditional and one of the 2nd replacement coils go bad currently it is showing no codes however it still stumbles if loaded in a higher gear. Jerry has shown that it doesnt' do this when run in sport mode but that isn't comfortable for around town or wifely transport! I'll keep the board informed as we try other ideas and will continue to check for suggestions.
thanks
mikeh
Mike
If a bad coil is suspect, you can borrow one of my OEM's until the bad one(s) are replaced. Strange the car runs OK in sport, but not in normal mode. All sport does is quicken the butterfly motors vs. the throttle opening and take some assist out of the power steering. Bad coils should show up under either condition. Oh well guess we are going to have to do a MAF run (aw shucks!:biggrinbounce: )
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts