BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the only thing left now is to drive the thing. In the flesh the E60 M5 is gorgeous, absolutely stunning and in Inerlagos Blue - WOW! :M5thumbs: All the pics and movies just don't do this car justice. All the reservations I had about the exterior and interior designs are gone. This machine is sweet, real sweet. I'll say it again, you really have to see it in person. There was a Silverstone II and Interlagos Blue on display at NAIAS - I guess I don't have to tell you why the Blue one hogged the camera. It would have been nice to see a Black Sapphire one on display for colour comparison. The interior is nicely upgraded over the standard 5er and the seats are very comfortable and supportive. It's kinda funny to look down between your feet and see only two pedals but hopefully BMWNA will offer something to fill that gap. Walking around the car it definetly has presence and the style of wheels really suits the car. I came away very impressed and quite excited.

Not to take anything away from the E39, it is and always will be a classic, heck I just love mine.

So each of us has and will formulate our own opinions of the E60 M5. I have and mine have come full circle.

You think the Interlagos Blue might fight with my LeMans clan?:biggrin:

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Terk said:
Well the only thing left now is to drive the thing. In the flesh the E60 M5 is gorgeous, absolutely stunning and in Inerlagos Blue - WOW! :M5thumbs: All the pics and movies just don't do this car justice. All the reservations I had about the exterior and interior designs are gone. This machine is sweet, real sweet. I'll say it again, you really have to see it in person. There was a Silverstone II and Interlagos Blue on display at NAIAS - I guess I don't have to tell you why the Blue one hogged the camera. It would have been nice to see a Black Sapphire one on display for colour comparison. The interior is nicely upgraded over the standard 5er and the seats are very comfortable and supportive. It's kinda funny to look down between your feet and see only two pedals but hopefully BMWNA will offer something to fill that gap. Walking around the car it definetly has presence and the style of wheels really suits the car. I came away very impressed and quite excited.

Not to take anything away from the E39, it is and always will be a classic, heck I just love mine.

So each of us has and will formulate our own opinions of the E60 M5. I have and mine have come full circle.

You think the Interlagos Blue might fight with my LeMans clan?:biggrin:

T.
I have always liked Lemans Blue. In your estimation how do the two colors compare? And do you think Caramel Interior would look good with Interlagos?

hmmm simmikie

·
Registered
955 Posts
i feel exactly the same thing. after seeing car in person, i think the car looks very nice. especially with Interlago Blue.

i always thought i'd get the M5 in Black Sapphire. but now after seeing the car in Interlago Blue, i am having second thought. i am now considering getting the car in Interlago Blue! what a beautiful colour!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
simmikie said:
I have always liked Lemans Blue. In your estimation how do the two colors compare? And do you think Caramel Interior would look good with Interlagos?

hmmm simmikie
LeMans is a much deeper and darker blue than Interlagos which is much brighter and vibrant. Outside LeMans seems to change depending on the amount of sun. Under direct sunlight LeMans has a purpleish tint and without the sun just gets a dark deep blue. I would really like to see Interlagos outside. Caramel looks great with LeMans so I don't see why it would not look good with Interlagos.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I will probably be alone thinking this but I don't like Interlagos Blue from the pictures I have seen so far, in most if not all of them it remind me the Subaru WRX or the Mazda Protege in blue we had 2 years back, it is very popular and one of my employes had one and I saw it every other day of the week in my office parking lot.

I am on the fence between Black Saphire or Mineral Silver,

but Terk thank you for the pictures and head up!

:cheers:

Rob

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I have seen Interlagos Blue and to be honest it's much too bright a colour for a large car like the M5. It looks much better on the M3. It's also quite flat and "two dimensional".

Of course, it's a matter of personal taste, but if you're paying this much money for a car you need to be 100% happy with how it looks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Really like the looks of Interlagos Blue and as for not the right colour for a car the size of the M5 people said the same thing about Estoril and I loved that on my M5 as well!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I have seen Interlagos Blue and to be honest it's much too bright a colour for a large car like the M5. It looks much better on the M3. It's also quite flat and "two dimensional".

Of course, it's a matter of personal taste, but if you're paying this much money for a car you need to be 100% happy with how it looks.
I completely agree. Must be a UK thing! I personally find mid-blues (as with mid-reds, greens...) only work on small sports cars and hatchbacks. Large cars look much better either light (silver) or dark (orient blue, black sapphire, carbon black etc.). It reminds me too much of topaz blue on an M3 which I always think looks as if it hasn't been cleaned for three months.

I would have gone for carbon black if it was standard, but have gone for silverstone II.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For me the Interlagos is a bit too bright, personally I`d like to have a darker one, so the LeMans Blue is the choice.
And what about completely dark blue such as a Onyx Blue ?
Regards

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thanks Tony!

Maybe I dismissed IB a little too quickly- I like how it darkens in the shadows. I think it might be a little too bright for my tastes, but I do now see why they chose it. Its very cool! Those pictures you took are the best I've seen to date that show the color with a variety of highlights/ shadows on it- too bad its not natural light... :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
vndkshn said:
I would really love to see a Interlagos and Onyx Blue side by side...

Of course, Onyx is Individual... so that might be reason enough to avoid it.
I, too, would really like to see photos of Interlagos and Onyx Blue side by side. I've had too many silver cars, so that colour (or anything like it) is out. So, for me, it comes down to Interlags or Onyx Blue (or possibly a black colour). I had thought Onyx Blue would be the way to go, so I am looking forward to seeing Ashok's car. But I don't know. I remember Gustav had a close up photo of Onyx Blue and it looked quite purply. That put me off a little. But then Gustav's other photo (from afar) didn't show off this purply effect.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Jerry, I think I would like Onyx, but my concern with it being individual arises from that "what if" and it needed repair from an accident, chips, etc.

Any Individual owners (specifically in the US) that have had cars repaired? Since the dealers look at you funny much of the time when you even mention the Individual program, I wonder how service/repairs response to it?

My only concern with Onyx is it might be a bit too dark. I can't wait to see pics of Ashok's for this very reason.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Thanks Tony!

MEnthusiast said:
Maybe I dismissed IB a little too quickly- I like how it darkens in the shadows. I think it might be a little too bright for my tastes, but I do now see why they chose it. Its very cool! Those pictures you took are the best I've seen to date that show the color with a variety of highlights/ shadows on it- too bad its not natural light... :cheers:
Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words on the pics. It was very hard to get clean shots of the M5 as the BMW booth was very busy. You are right, Interlagos Blue is quite bright and not for everyone but it is still a stunning colour. I would also like to see this colour outside and not under artifiical light. I am also anxious to see Ashok's Blue Onyx for comparison but then if I was to go individual, I would have to wonder how the E60 would look in Le Mans Blue. ;)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Le Mans would be nicer than Interlagos IMHO.

Onyx is not purply - you may be thinking of Sepia. Think of Onyx Blue as "a bluer version of Carbonblack" and you're not far off.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
OK Pud, I agree Onyx can look purple (especially under fluorescent light) but it's really gorgeous - check out this Onyx Z4:

lovelove

1 - 20 of 31 Posts