BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having trouble with the front door woodgrain trim in particular. Prior posts on this topic suggest it's nothing more than friction-fit posts and that with some work, the posts will release and the trim piece will just come off of the door panel. I'm worried I will break it cause it just does not seem to want to let go!

Any hints or do I just keep working it carefully?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ultraman, that will definitely help me with the speaker upgrade I'm considering but I wasn't clear in my original post (just went back and edited it).

I'm struggling with the woodgrain/aluminum trim and removing it from the door panel (not removing the door panel).

sorry for the confusion and thanks for trying - got another vid of removing the trim from doorpanel?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You are right, that trim is secured using post style pressure fit things, you just start at one end ( I would start on the left side of the driver door trim) and carefully pry it away but be careful to not bend it too much or you will crack the clear coat/lacquer of the wood trim, try using a big flat head screw driver or something to get farther in there so your not bending the end so much. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i saw that post and the attached doc but it doesn't explicitly deal w/ front door panels and that's the area I'm struggling with so I didn't know if it was different

·
Registered
555 Posts
Buy a cheap set of interior trim removal tools... $10 or so at Harbor Freight. They are wider than screw drivers and made of plastic so less likely to damage. However, I removed it with a screwdriver since I was in a time crunch. You can put some electrical tape on the end of a fat flat head screwdriver and genly pull on the edge. If it's really that tight, have an assistant do the same w/ another screwdriver further down the line to help spready the pressure around.

Good luck.

Jeff

Reactions: RoundelM5

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ended up just using my fingers, I was just slow and patient with it, pulling it gradually out.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
try using a big flat head screw driver
do NOT use a screw driver on any trim pieces or plastic... youll be sure to crack them...

go to your local hardware store and buy a plastic putty knife. If you do a lot of mod work on interiors or with trim pieces... purchase trim removal tools from online vendor... shouldnt be more than ten to twenty dollars.

while youre at it, go to the dealer and purchase a few of the locking tabs as well... they will tear if you pull to hard.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Are you the original owner of the vehicle?? If there was a previous owner, hopefully they didnt silicon or glue it down. I know when I was taking off the trim where the tire pressure switch was, I was sure I was going to break it. I got it off without breaking it, luckily. Good luck and even if you get removal tools, patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
The "bone" rules! I got one as a gift and it's much better than any of the trim removal tools I bought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts