BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since day one of ownership of the M5 that I've always found the Bruyère Club interior trim not to be fitting to my M5's Le Mans Blue exterior and Heritage Nappa Black Leather interior.

Bruyère wood trim is too classic and too light, possibly best fitted to a Caramel leather interior, instead of the stealth luxury black interior I've always had in mind.

After many years of debating if I should go for piano black or a custom colour/pattern, I've chose for an original E39 trim that suited my vision perfectly: Technical Graphite, also known as Cubic.

Some search on the local auction websites turned up a set that was available for a very tempting price but in a bit less than reasonable condition. Here are some of the original pictures of the auction:

Dirty and in some need of TLC, which is exactly what I love to do.

First step was the clean all the trim with a mix of All Purpose Cleaner, to remove the grime, dirt, dust, finger prints and all other contaminants. Preparation is key for the polishing stage.

Each piece of trim had its own defects, ranging from light brushing swirls to deep scratches. This meant that my approach to correction had to be flexible and localized, as to not remove too much of the clearcoat and fix the problems as best as possible.

Tools of choice were varied, from wet sanding paper and compound polish/ads to correct the deeper defects to the finest finishing polish to restore the gloss and depth to the Graphite finish.

Several polishing stages and hours were necessary for this restoration. However, piece by piece, they were completed.

Before installation, all trim pieces were protected with EXO v2 (overkill, but hey!), to keep any possible yellowing from the UV rays in check.

To complete the interior refresh, an order for the following parts was placed at my local BMW dealer:

. M rear view mirror (M5's old M mirror was installed in the Touring)
. Leather shifter
. Leather handbrake lever
. Velour anthracite floor mat set
. Other bits and pieces

A worthy investment, leaving the interior of my M5 like new with 215 000km.

Installation was simple and the results of seeing everything in place left me in pure bliss. This is exactly what I had envisioned for my M5.

The depth of the reflection, the glossy shine and the way that Technical Graphite changes color hue as the angle and intensity of the light shifts, makes this trim perfect for my M5.

Could not be any happier with having now two of my favorite E39 Trims: Anthracite Birch on the Touring and now Technical Graphite on M5.

My E39 experience just keeps on getting better :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I need a set of those. I need some contrasting trims for my interior. :Thumbdown:

Aside from needing a set, you always impress me with your attention to small details and detailing.

Reactions: Tiauguinho

·
Registered
658 Posts
What's your address? I need your work on my spare Cubic set.
Great works. I too have blk heritage interior and thinking about replacing the wood trim.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
That looks really great... Well done!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lovely work!! Technical graphite is my favorite too. I am on my second set now which is near perfect. I may have to do some polishing though after seeing this.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Daaang your clean up method on technical graphite is better than mine!

The beauty is always hidden under dirt and a good polishing. I just wish the clear coat wasn't so thin.

Love that attention to detail :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
As others have said - WOW. Your attention to detail really pays off - Your car looks amazing!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What size backing plate is that? I've been looking for a quality small one for more detailed work.
This is 3'' backing plate, works great for small areas.

You car is so beautiful and pristine!! I'm always amazed!!

I am almost willing to bet that you'll finish your 1 Million KM odometer run with a car that's cleaner than when with 0KM on Odometer it left the dealer.
Thanks Oto!

That is the objective, to one day turn 1 million kilometers on the M5, in much better condition than on the day I've received the keys to it.

Hope to see you in Europe soon :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts