BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I recently replaced my gear knob and handbrake to refresh the interior as these parts were very badly worn. They were the factory fitted items with the brushed aluminium trim and the coating was really tatty and wearing badly.

I managed to acquire one of the shorter ZHP weighted knobs for £30 from a forum member (thanks again Plenty) and after reading through countless handbrake threads I decided that removing the handle was going to be a major PITA so I bought a second hand handbrake mechanism off ebay with the leather handle for £10. Due to the fact the old gear knob gaiter is attached to the knob I had to buy new gaiters but these were £20 off ebay for new leather ones for both handbrake and gear knob.

So, overall I managed to refresh the interior for the princely sum of £60.

Before (this is the only pic I have):

After:

I just need to try and find a replacement for the trim piece that surrounds the gear knob as it's scratched. The previous owner had a ring which was to blame for all of the damage.

I have to say, the ZHP knob makes such a difference to the feel of the gear changes. I love it.

Even though the parts are second hand they really do fit with the rest of the interior as it's all got ten years of wear and tear on it. I think if I had bought them brand new they would have stuck out far too much.

Also I need to replace this piece:

Do I need to replace the whole top part of the armrest or does the handle part detach?

Cheers
Vin

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Good luck finding one of those trim pieces, they easily scratch and cost about £200 from BMW!!

The handle on the arm rest is easy, buy an new part from BMW, mine cost £4.37 about 18 months ago, part number 51 16 7 141 735. They are more expensive on e-bay. Replacement is easy, pry out the rear oddments tray or cup holder, let the center vent drop. Undo the 2 screws and you can lift the arm rest off. Once off you can remove the handle and swap it over, should not take more than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Richard, that's great. I've already had the armrest out to fit the handbrake so it should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Might as well change the ugly Nav. knobs with new ones from the e9x.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Trim Piece

If i were you i would take that trim piece off and have it sand blasted with ultra fine or media blasted and go for the matt look.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
The knob looks really sharp:cool:! I ordered one and I'm just waiting for a new leather boot. It would be even cooler if the knob lit up like the original:hihi:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts