BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the speedo display looks like mercedes. dont like that.
I am going to bet that we will get a nice high resolution LED screen in the next generation instrument clusters.

We will know how they look in any case when the new 7 series comes out this year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going to bet that we will get a nice high resolution LED screen in the next generation instrument clusters.
Did you mean LCD screen? From those pics it looks like electroluminscent gauges. Not 100% sure though.

I think this might be the 7 series. Center console between the seats is too wide. Plus, we haven't seen too many 7 series mules around yet.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you mean LCD screen? From those pics it looks like electroluminscent gauges. Not 100% sure though.

I think this might be the 7 series. Center console between the seats is too wide. Plus, we haven't seen too many 7 series mules around yet.

Yeah, my bad.... LCD... Althought OLED would be really nice :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

We will know how they look in any case when the new 7 series comes out this year.
you can have a look at the picture of the F01 instruments at the attachement that flickered around the net last year. But take into account that it is heavily masked.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can have a look at the picture of the F01 instruments at the attachement that flickered around the net last year. But take into account that it is heavily masked.

Thanks..... I love the 3 LED screens... I will miss the BMW Orange but I will get over it. It looks like the 3 LED screens are a reflection? Do you know if the LED technology they are using will be able to support video?

Sunshine-t, do you have any comments on why the turbos are on top of the N64 engine? Also Reithofer is alluding to fewer cylinders for future M cars or God forbid forced induction....any comments here?

Love to get some feedback on above. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if because it's a test mule, but those gauges look pretty low tech. Either they wanted to disguise it or they don't put much effort into the details since it's only a mule.

Plus, those three LCD screens at the bottom could just be camoflouge as well. It kind of looks like a reflection or fake stickers?

Hey sunshine-t, do you have inside info at BMW? I'm also eagerly waiting for the F10 M5. If M goes forced induction in this version, I'm definitely getting the last of the E60 M5's. I figure the earliest we'll find out is early 2011? I'm guessing there will be a few remaining E60 M5's on some dealer's lots. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that if they don't go FI or DCT only.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
sunshine-t is always an accurate source but it's best not to pry too much as to who, where and how :reporter:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Those taillights are horrid.
Agreed but they're not the real thing, there's just functional temporary ones they use on the mules.

·
Registered
92 Posts
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/18/bmw-2009-f01-7-series-interior/ said:
A few days ago we brought you a nice example of the next generation 7 series from the outside. Today we give you a photo of the new interior it will be sporting. There are many changes in overall button placement and layout. The controller has moved and there are added buttons on the steering wheel. The iDrive system appears to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Update: This has been verified by several sources that this is indeed the interior in design. The choice of materials and quality of them are not the finished product. This is a pre-production prototype or supplier mock-up. The production car will be made of higher quality items, and there will be an option for a leather dash. The layout is correct and so is the overall execution. The materials are just not at the final production quality.
verified...nice one...he he he...i say this picture is the real deal but not in all edges - it's p-shopped around the screen. by the way the controller already moved for x5/x6 series...but however...the look and position of the controller is not the interesting thing about it

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
verified...nice one...he he he...i say this picture is the real deal but not in all edges - it's p-shopped around the screen. by the way the controller already moved for x5/x6 series...but however...the look and position of the controller is not the interesting thing about it

Did they improve the user-interface of i-drive? I really hope BMW is using high res LCDs. My limo in my last trip to Asia was a new S class and the instrument cluster looks amazing....I trust BMW will be no different this time around.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Did they improve the user-interface of i-drive? I really hope BMW is using high res LCDs. My limo in my last trip to Asia was a new S class and the instrument cluster looks amazing....I trust BMW will be no different this time around.
Agreed.

This F10 looks smaller. I'm sure it isn't though. Cars always get bigger until 3 becomes 5, 5 becomes 7 and BMW have to introduce a 1...

·
Registered
92 Posts
overall interior quality on the F01 picture is not production version!

what do you mean by "user-interface"? the controller is the interface and it obviously has changed (but the biggest change is not yet out of the bag :D). but i assume your question was aimed on whether the look and feel of the display changed and the answer is: yes,look and feel change dramatically. not comparable with the only minor changes coming with the new audi mmi3G which starts in the audi q5.

i remember the resolution of the screen on the F01 is 800xsomewhat. forgot the exact number...

and don't forget about http://m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114860

also remark the "expert" opinion here: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/21/expert-opinion-new-idrive-controller/ (but it also doesn't reveal the real news...)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
overall interior quality on the F01 picture is not production version!

what do you mean by "user-interface"? the controller is the interface and it obviously has changed (but the biggest change is not yet out of the bag :D). but i assume your question was aimed on whether the look and feel of the display changed and the answer is: yes,look and feel change dramatically. not comparable with the only minor changes coming with the new audi mmi3G which starts in the audi q5.

i remember the resolution of the screen on the F01 is 800xsomewhat. forgot the exact number...

and don't forget about http://m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114860

also remark the "expert" opinion here: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/21/expert-opinion-new-idrive-controller/ (but it also doesn't reveal the real news...)
Thanks Sunshine-t

By user interface, I mean the way a driver connects to electronics and how they will be used.

With the 08 M5 / M6 refreshed, BMW introduced the programmable buttons and it looks like BMW is going to add a few more fixed function buttons....which is good. I appreciate the desire to have a clean cockpit and honestly, I set up my car once and drive.

Based on the position of the screens, perhaps you guys have gone to touch screen too?

User Interface can make or break a product....look at the iPod :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts