BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 was the hit of a party last night but its interesting what people "know" about the M5 and BMWs. As we were standing around the car...

"You should have gotten an automatic." I replied they didn't make an M5 auto. "I'm sure they do". Nope. "Come on, give'm 10 grand and they'll build anything". Nope. "Well I know someone with an auto in an M5".

Another guy.. "You must be thinking M3. They make an auto for the M3. You don't want an auto in an M5. It's a sports car unlike Mercedes. It can take on a standard Corvette" But then he adds "You can get a maunual in a Mercedes but most people don't. Folks don't see the S class as a sports car unlike the BMW 7. Have you seen the M7? You ought to go for one of those". When another guy walked over to the car he added "He's got a Z4. Now that M4 is something special too."

It went on. I just stood back and listened.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
you should have pushed them on...thats what i do when people start mouthing off about BMW's in front of me.

They ask you "ya know that a chimpanze is the head driver for BMW's test fleet?!" your reply "actually i do, his name is Hans Stuck (no disrespect to mr. Stuck--- i needed a drivers name) and hes been driving for years and even still drives competitivley."

Just keep pushing to see how big of a whole that they can get themselves into... and then you shoot them downouich

·
Registered
238 Posts
What about this:

ones a "friend" of mine, who drives a 330d himselve, asked me if he can drive my M5.

I couldn't say no so I gave him the key's.

After a minute or 10 he came back and guess what:... He was sure that his 330 was faster than the beast. :M5launch: He expected a lot more from the M5. And he also prefered an automatic gearbox.

I really don't like people like this drives BMW's.

Buy a Taxi ( mercedes ) for god's sake!!!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Unbeleivable ?????? Esp. after you were kind enough to borrow out the keys to him for a spin.

seckindogan said:
What about this:

ones a "friend" of mine, who drives a 330d himselve, asked me if he can drive my M5.

After a minute or 10 he came back and guess what:... He was sure that his 330 was faster than the beast. :M5launch: He expected a lot more from the M5. And he also prefered an automatic gearbox.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What experts :p

I have also heard a few stupid statements from people I know, not always regarding BMW's but technology as a whole.

The last good one, was. Well I suppose you got the wrong oil in your M5, since you use 10w-60. I said it's what BMW recommends. And asked him why it would be the wrong sort. He said: Well high performance engines use 0w-30 oils because of their outstanding ability to stay oily at high temperatures, well I just could not get him to understand that in 10W-60, the 10 stands for the oils cold performance, 60 stands for it's warm performance. The higher the better "thicker" (oil-like) at warmer temps.

No, no he said.
Stupid, stupid I say. :hihihi:

·
Registered
13 Posts
TELL YOU WHAT, HAVE YOUR FRIEND BE A PASSENGER WHILE YOU DRIVE AND SEE IF HE THINKS THE SAME. YOU KNOW IT TAKES A LITTLE WHILE TO LEARN HOW TO PUSH THIS CAR, IS NOT JUST PUT IT IN GEAR AND GO.:wroom:
seckindogan said:
What about this:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Richard in NC said:
My M5 was the hit of a party last night but its interesting what people "know" about the M5 and BMWs. As we were standing around the car...

"You should have gotten an automatic." I replied they didn't make an M5 auto. "I'm sure they do". Nope. "Come on, give'm 10 grand and they'll build anything". Nope. "Well I know someone with an auto in an M5".

Another guy.. "You must be thinking M3. They make an auto for the M3. You don't want an auto in an M5. It's a sports car unlike Mercedes. It can take on a standard Corvette" But then he adds "You can get a maunual in a Mercedes but most people don't. Folks don't see the S class as a sports car unlike the BMW 7. Have you seen the M7? You ought to go for one of those". When another guy walked over to the car he added "He's got a Z4. Now that M4 is something special too."

It went on. I just stood back and listened.
HAHAHA OMG... how clueless can anyone get? ouich ouich ouich ouich ouich

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Someone I met insisted that the M5 was as fast as it is because it had the same engine as the X5, only the sedan body was "a couple of thousand pounds lighter" so that's why it was so fast. I said maybe some of the parts were the same but it wasn't the "same" engine. No, he said, the engines are "exactly" the same; you can take a stock X5 V8 and put it into any 5 series and it would be just as fast, he said! Well, geez, you learn something new every day. :confused3

·
Registered
237 Posts
The saddest part is when you hear this kind of uninformed drivel from the dealer!!!

I asked a BMW salesperson once what the difference between two models was...he listed about three things...I told him "there are actually twelve" - at which point he got upset and said "well, if you knew then why did you ask me??" No doubt, he was selling Fords the week before...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I met someone who insisted the "T" in 318Ti stood for Turbo :sad1:

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's getting worse..

I can not remember the date of year but a long time ago when I had mine former M5 le mans bleu ( beautifull car by the way ), I went to a Tyre center, I parked the M in front, a couple of guys came out and while I entered the shop I can hear them talking to eachother "What the hell is this...3 what?? 318, 320??"

When I came back to the M, they asked me what it was and first I thought they were joking but I saw they were serious and I thought to myselfe..

Its obviously not A.B.C to everyone..but how stupid can you be??ouich

If they said :"what is this a 520?? " I can understand...but comparing my beast with the 3 series???

And ones, also a long time ago a friend of mine drove a 5 series wiht an M-optik pakket. Nice car!..anyway we came to his car and two guys came and asked if they can see the engine..why not so my friend said oke..they said woow what an engine...very nice..bla bla bla .they thanked us and they went..
It was a 523i!!!!:blabla:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was in the hardware store the other day and came out and two guyts were looking at the car. They said they were BMW entusuasts and only had read about the M5 in books.

They wanted to know how I had imported it as " no M5's were sold in Australia"

I will let Brisbane BMW know this!

Dallas :1:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
One of my friends told me, this summer when he bought a new BMW, that he had been surfing the german BMW site, and they got totally different BMW models in germany than in Finland ouich ouich ouich ouich

I mean how stupid can one get? :confused:
I told him, might be that some engine alternative, as with M5 and M3's might be introduced a few weeks earlier in germany than Finland, but the models are exactly the same. He would not agree with me. His 3-series is a 2004 model, he also told one of my other friends a couple of days ago that he would like to trade to a 320i next summer, so my friend said: Well than you will probably get the new 3-series.

He replied: What new 3 series? The one I got now is the new 3-series, yes you is the current but there is a new one coming. No there aint! Yes there is lets check it out on the bmw site shall we?

When shown the pictures of the upcoming 3-series he was still convinced it was his car. :confused3 Poor guy :haha2:

It's funny to listen to all of these self-appointed experts that don't know sh*t kinggf

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Did everyone know that M5 stands for manual 5 speed? Or how about M5 = 5 liters? M6 = 6 liters and of course the new M7 = 7 liters! And who in his right mind would want a little 3 liter engine from the M3?!

So long as you know, that is all tat matters,

Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The worst part is how many people have no idea that they could have gotten the Flux Capacitor option to really let you open up that M7 on the highway! :1:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
hihaThat is incredible!

seckindogan said:
And ones, also a long time ago a friend of mine drove a 5 series wiht an M-optik pakket. Nice car!..anyway we came to his car and two guys came and asked if they can see the engine..why not so my friend said oke..they said woow what an engine...very nice..bla bla bla .they thanked us and they went..
It was a 523i!!!!:blabla:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went to the lovemercedes tour last Sunday (because I found out the SCCA event (at the same location, but on a road-course) was pre-registration only ....anyway, I overheard the following conversation between two guys in front of me in the SL500 line:

"Yeah this car is their flagship car....this is the car to get"
"Oh yeah....how much power this thing got?"
"It's like 225hp....something really high like that."
"Wow...that's crazy..."

Go figure. I was about to say something....but thought better of it. Let their wives correct them. :eek:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts