BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't posted in quite a while but I thought I can post this and see what you guys make of it.

I will try to capture a video tonight of the problem.

I am doing an S62 swap into my E30. I have 99% of the wiring figured out. I am staying CANbus so wiring was pretty intense to say the least. Last night I went to do a crank test. (No fuel yet, I just wanted to make sure the starter cranked) I turned the key, everything lit up and came on on the cluster, DME came on, the engine did it's self test and then nothing. Everything turned off. I didn't touch anything. I went from happy to wtf. I shook the harnesses around thinking something moved or was loose. Nothing. I troubleshot and found fuse F101 to be the problem. I think. 12v everywhere except on the other side of this fuse. The rest of the main fuse box has 12v in and 12v out. I used a jumper wire to jump the fuse and still nothing.

After standing back and thinking, I heard clicking. I narrowed it down to the Vanos solenoids. The clicking would speed up too. I touch the covers and it was them for sure. I serviced the Vanos units and solenoids right before pulling the engine. I unplugged the vanos harness and it stopped. I plugged both harnesses back in and it started clicking again.

I am completely baffled by both issues. I will work more on it tonight but I just want to see what you guys think of it. Perhaps something is grounding something out? I never touched the engine harness or wires in the engine harness to the DME so I don't think that is the issue. I know the engine will crank without them plugged in but I just want to make sure I am not damaging them. Maybe the DME is adjusting the solenoids for the CmPS? Hmm...

Any advice and input is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was grounding out one of the power lines to engine harness. I wiggled it and everything came back on and no more clicking. I actually got the engine to crank too!

Pretty stoked!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts