BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost thought of putting this in the cool features thread... but it's not really cool and I'm hoping to get conformation this is "by design"

Last night, I was showing off the car to a relative. I turned the car on and even popped the hood latch assuming he'd want to look at the engine as well. Well, we never got to looking under the hood so it remained "popped" but not open.

This morning, I warmed the car up and was heading to Starbucks which is only about a mile away. About half-way there, the car recognizes the hood is unlatched and so it throws me a warning of such. Oops, oh well, I'll shut it when I get to Starbucks. Top speed on the way will probably be 35 so no big deal... There's a double latch system. Even if I was doing 100mph I doubt it would pop up on me. So, I keep driving along and then come a crosswalk where someone is crossing (In D mode) and the transmission starts blinking numbers as it wants to downshift. This blinking is what the transmission did a few months ago when I had to have it replaced. Only then it would eventually clunk really hard into gear and then throw a yellow cog and continue skipping the gear. To make matters worse, I come to a stop directly in front of a cross street where people are trying to turn onto the main road that I'm on.

So, once the pedestrian finishes crossing, I give it some gas and the car just revs like I'm in neutral. The dash has the warning of the hood being open, but ya, how's that related to the transmission not shifting. No cogs. I put it into manual, D, N... nothing. (I now have my hazards on and I'm making obvious gestures to the cross street traffic something fubar is going on with the car and I'm sorry, but I can't move.) Fortunately people around here aren't dicks and see my hazards now on, so they weren't honking or yelling... just trying to get around me. (They might not be dicks, but it's cold out so they weren't nice enough to try and help...) I even shut the car off and turn it back on and nothing. Eventually traffic clears and the cross street traffic all went around me... not knowing what else to do before calling a tow truck, I jump out of the car and lift and then shut the hood. I hop back in the car... and everything is fine. The car starts driving like nothing was the matter. WTF!! I pull over a block later and get my code reader out of the trunk and nothing... no codes.

So, this must be a "feature" right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, I believe its a safety feature.

It happens to me everytime I forget to fully latched her hood before driving her in to the garage from the driveway.

Reactions: Mattkins99

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Normal. Just close the hood and you'll be fine..

Reactions: Mattkins99

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, while I'm glad to know it's a feature, it's really annoying that it only detected that the hood was open a half mile down the road. Fortunately it was too early for the road to be all that busy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm surprised how it detected it halfway to your destination, when I work on my car in my garage and try to move the car like 5 feet, the car won't allow me to move unless I close the hood and it will rev like you mentioned.

Seif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts