BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently changed my MAF's. I did this as somewhat of a preventative maintenance but also as I was starting to see tell tale signs that they might be on the way out.

So the brand new MAF's were installed about a month ago. I am sure I have less than 100 miles on them. I took the car out for a drive today and got AE and AF.

I've cleared and will get back out there and see if they pop back up. Is it possible that I am getting these because the system is adapting to the new MAF's?

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
If you only have a 100 miles it is likely the adaptions changing because of the new MAFs. It means your old MAFs were fukked. Clear the codes and see if they come back .I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Just one additional question.

Your new MAF's, are they confirmed genuine and of the correct part number, as in does the sensor end in 029?

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Call me bloody minded, but that's 2 people who've had MAF's from RM European in the last 2 weeks, both reporting codes relating to MAF's or MAF related issues they did not get with their old ones installed.........................................

In all likelihood its something else as apparently people are vouching for RM saying they're kosher, but at 1/4 the price of new MAFs listed elsewhere, plus only getting to hear of such things through the written word on the board, it does set off spider sense somewhat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A brief follow up to my last post. I cleared the codes and took her out for short run. Maybe 30 miles or so. It did not return. I'll be able to get some more miles in once the weather clears up and will report back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know what size those tamper proof torx are? I can zip over to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap set. Just need to make sure I get the set that has the size I need. I think maybe its an 18.. maybe a 20? Anyway, I can get a set for <$10.

I would like to pull the sensor out for my own curiosity and see what P/N it is and report back here.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
You had best count the points if there are five you will not find those, special order. If there is 6 then just get a set and don't worry, because I thought it was an 8. Thank god for sets because memory is often faulty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anybody know what size those tamper proof torx are? I can zip over to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap set. Just need to make sure I get the set that has the size I need. I think maybe its an 18.. maybe a 20? Anyway, I can get a set for <$10.

I would like to pull the sensor out for my own curiosity and see what P/N it is and report back here.
Try searching the ebay. I found the security torx of L-shape at only $3 and free shipping. It has six-point on the longer side and five-point on the shorter. I only used the six-point side to remove the original MAFs and found it is OK.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just getting back to this post. I went to the HF and bought the security hex keys. They were the wrong ones, 6 point. I found a 5 point T25 security at Pep-Boys. Anyway, I pulled out the sensor from the Bosch assembly I purchased from RMeurpean. I can confirm that it is indeed the 029 model.

I have put maybe another 100 miles on my car since I last had the SES and all is still well.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts