BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I've been a long time lurker/occasional contributor to this forum ever since I purchased my 97 540. Since then I have had this burning desire to own an M5 instead of trying to make 540 into something its not. I've spent a lot of time on this forum reading, so I like to think Im quite familiar with the S62 and all common occurrences that come with it. The issue I have now is, I found a beautiful 2001 Tiag M5 but its mileage is on the high side, approaching 100k (98K). I'm still awaiting a full service history report from BMW but from what I understand and have seen on the carfax; its been serviced quite regularly. The cooling system was replaced @ 56k and the suspension serviced @ 70k, along with regular 6K oil changes. I know that at some point in this vehicles future its rod bearings will have to be addressed, most likely in conjunction with its timing chain guide rails and vanos solenoid o-rings (I'm a big DIY'er but the rod bearings/guide rails might exceed my capabilities). So, I'm on the fence....any input would be greatly appreciated in making this decision.

P.S. - No accidents, 3 owners, and the sales price is $14k.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks good. If you can get service records and a lot of the stuff has been done then mileage should not be a major issue. My '01 is 2 years from the date of purchase. I have replaced MAFS, 2 CPS, O2 sensors, fuel filter, plugs, tranny fluid, diff fluid, air and cabin filters, fan clutch, rear view mirror, belts, tires, thermostat, drivers side vanos solenoid. I have brakes and rotors on hand as well as all clutch parts, giubo, and rear main seal. These cars are a lot of maintenance but worth it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update: Just checked out the car and lets just say the pictures were quite deceiving.

- The engine definitely has excess vanos noise
- Thermostat was stuck open
- Water pump appeared to be the factory original
- Fuel smell coming from passenger side wheel well (after fully warmed up - I believe there is a leak-crack between the head/headers)
- SAP was quite noisy on initial warm-up phase
- Exhaust tips were rusted
- Fan clutch nut/ AC compressor were rusted
- Interior center air vent was broken

Here's a video of the engine full warmed up:

YouTube - E39 M5 Vanos Dieseling

The search continues!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
You get what your pay for, but I'm sure the right one is waiting for you somewhere out there.
Keep your eyes open:eek:h: the one owned by board members are usually well treated and maintained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts