BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could one or more of you Gurus answer two questions for me:

Q1. Is intensive cleaner just more concentrated windscreen wash and if so what sort of mix do most people use (undiluted screen wash)?

Q2. If your car has an oil 'over usage' problem (I think I may have but have not had time to compare usage to mileage yet) does this negate the 3000 mile oil change ie just change the filter?

Pip :confused3

·
Registered
530 Posts
1: For the windshield washer fluid, I use what ever I find at a wholesale club on sale. I have never used the concentrated version, so no answer on that one.

2: For Oil changes, independent of engine oil consumption, I always drain all existing oil completely (by completely I mean have the engine HOT and drain the oil for at least one half hour).

Oil consumption would have to be over the 7 litre capacity in 3000 miles to make this even plausible. This is using 1 litre every 429 miles. That seems quite excessive. And all the oil is never fresh anyway.

For the S62 engine, this is one area I wouldn't consider scrimping on.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Pip said:

Q1. Is intensive cleaner just more concentrated windscreen wash and if so what sort of mix do most people use (undiluted screen wash)?

Q2. If your car has an oil 'over usage' problem (I think I may have but have not had time to compare usage to mileage yet) does this negate the 3000 mile oil change ie just change the filter?

You really have to change the oil and filter every 3000 miles or your engine ( all £15000 of it ) will prematurely wear out.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou both for that but my question regarding the intensive cleaning fluid was: Q Is this preperation just undiluted windscreen washer fluid or is it something else? What can I use to fill up this bottle, do I have to buy something special?

Pip :confused:

·
10,455 Posts
Pip, i get the stuff from my local bmw dealer. It has more of a alcohol/keytone smell to it than the regular wash fluid, it may just be more concentrated. I don't think you'd cause any problems using undiluted wash concentrate in the intensive bottle and normal wash fluid in the main bottle.
I believe both get sprayed on the windshield when you hit the 'intensive wash' button on the stalk.
Mike

Pip said:
Thankyou both for that but my question regarding the intensive cleaning fluid was: Q Is this preperation just undiluted windscreen washer fluid or is it something else? What can I use to fill up this bottle, do I have to buy something special?

Pip :confused:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't know what's in the special intensive wash solution. My guess a strong dose of methanol, not keytone. As I recall, even relatively small amounts of a keytone will dissolve paint! So will methanol, but it takes a stronger concentration for methanol to do that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pip said:

It is to clean the headlights

·
10,455 Posts
01M5 said:
It is to clean the headlights
I think it's also for the windshield, used when you press the intensive wash button on the stalk (i think it's labeled S).
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts