BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So guys im in the market for some intakes and I've done a lot of reading. Now I look to you guys for some feedback. I know evolve has done some extensive research prior to building theirs and puts out a quality product (Which I can def appreciate). My conflict is that my car is already a Dinan signature car and their gains are claimed to be higher. Now I know stated gains are whatever the vendor whats to post but i wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any opinion. Also, Pricing is about the same so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
First of all, I think both are awesome setup! I'm not sure you can compare the 2 to see which one is "better" but if you ask me, I think the Evolve intakes are "better" in terms of performance gains (and they look amazing under your hood). I some Dinan parts, but if I had to, I'd still go with the Evolve intakes.

Dan

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'd go with Evolve...simply because they are still making innovative products for the E60 platform and have proven results with datalogging

Reactions: randywei and Mcc420

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
I have a Dinan "signature" car as well, and have slowly added/subtracted different Dinan bits over the years.

I got a deal on my intakes from a board member (thanks Jed), so I was pretty happy. A handful of my friends have the Evolve intakes and are very happy. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you can find the Dinan intakes used, then why not?

I noticed you are catless as well...what tune are you running to maximize your headers?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't know if someone has actually dyno and data logged to have a solid comparison, besides a butt dyno and the evolve being louder due to their open design. But Dinan does claim higher hp gains than evolve. Personally I like the look of the dinan better, it looks like they improved on the factory design. The evolve looks aftermarket with a open design witch is totally opposite from what the factory design is to draw air from the outside.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Until someone does a side by side comparision I would not say either is better.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can't wrong with either kits. Since you already have a bunch of Dinan parts, I would go with their kit. Plus they are running a 15% sale and free shipping. I have the Dinan kit and I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dinan always looks great under the hood, nice and clean with the CF boxes. I would not buy them anywhere close to new asking price though. My advice - if you can find a deal on used Dinans then jump on it. Thats what I did and havent looked back!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Never really been a fan of the Dinan intakes. They certainly look good under the hood but than again so do Evolve's. I'm sort of skeptical about the whole thing in general especially with their brand new asking price.

If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Evolve setup because I don't think it suffers any significant loss compared to the Dinan setup plus the additional sound it makes lol. If another board member local to me purchased the Evolve intakes and I were to experience it first hand then I would considering buying them until then I am just holding off.

I know for a lot of us on here it is hard to get past the fact its a semi open intake design which common sense leads to believe it sucks in hot air from the engine bay, but from all the reviews and data logs it seems that could be wrong in this case.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What about the pressurization of the airbox which is why I thought RPI added the block off plates? Until I could see side by side comparison I'd wait unless of course there was a "deal" to be had....

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
This only applies to us Californians, but the Dinan intakes are CARB friendly -- if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had the Dinan intakes and switched to the Evolve ones earlier this year.

No dyno comparisons, but butt dyno says that the Evolve ones provide more power. I instantly felt better throttle response. I've only done datalogging with the Evolve intakes and not Dinan ones, unfortunately.

From my recent racing at Shift S3ctor, I would say my car performed much better having switched the intakes (and some weight savings from brakes and wheels) as my race against my friend's SC e90 M3 showed that I had closed the gap by a good amount compared to when I had the Dinan intakes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Kazakh015 and 5soko

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I had the Dinan intakes and switched to the Evolve ones earlier this year.

No dyno comparisons, but butt dyno says that the Evolve ones provide more power. I instantly felt better throttle response. I've only done datalogging with the Evolve intakes and not Dinan ones, unfortunately.

From my recent racing at Shift S3ctor, I would say my car performed much better having switched the intakes (and some weight savings from brakes and wheels) as my race against my friend's SC e90 M3 showed that I had closed the gap by a good amount compared to when I had the Dinan intakes.

We should data log my Dinans the next time I'm up north...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
2,149 Posts
Evolve intakes hands down... Best intake on the market imho, and is def more of an agressive setup then the dinan.. The Sound alone under WOT is just amazing and worth it.. Dyno proven hp gains, aswell as datalogged confirmed results.. The quality of the CF and whole kit is great aswell.

Enjoy:

http://youtu.be/Y-T90zT5_ZI

http://youtu.be/wAhr0Fa7jN4

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Oh yeah. I still have the Dinan badge and I have been going down the same route as Woody with adding/subtracting mods as time goes on.

I have replaced the Dinan intakes with the Evolve intakes, Dinan Stage 3 tune with Evolve Stage 3 tune, Dinan FRC/RSB with Rdsport sways. I also recently added the Dinan monoballs.

I still have over 10pts for my badge with the section 3 exhaust, pulley, stage 1 suspension, cf front strut, pedals (I don't really count the pedals though). 11 (12) points.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Randy when are you back in the country as I need to do some pbox testing :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts