BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how beneficial it would be to wrap some of the exposed intake pieces in heat reflective or gold wrap? Our engines typically are good at getting the intake plenum and air boxes pretty hot after a while driving. Lowering the intake air temps or could be a good thing especially in the summer.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Better to wrap the exhaust to prevent heat build up in the engine bay in the first place, imo. The plastics in the intake are designed to be efficient at getting rid of heat, and gold really is used to deflect heat, usually used on firewalls or to line the engine bay in high-HP turbo builds, its not usually used to line the engine components...

If your engine would show any benefit from gold or reflective wrapping the problem is from heat build up in the engine bay, not from the intake system. Gold/reflective foil is used to do just that - reflect heat away (because it is a very poor transmitter of heat). I live in Arizona and can touch my intake or plenum after a spirited drive in 110F+ weather, I doubt MN is getting any hotter... the real problem would be if I idle at a traffic light for a few minutes then go to pull away the intakes may be heat soaked slightly, but as the intake air rushes through them it picks up any residual heat and will cool them back down pretty quickly. Exhaust wrapping my exhaust would prevent (err... minimize) the heat soak in the first place.

edit: what I'm really trying to say is while it may help slightly, if the goal is to lower intake temperatures, the best place to start is at the biggest source of heat, which will likely be exhaust. Plenum spacers would be a logical next step to, to help insulate the intake system from the hot engine. Gold wrapping the intake would be a logical next step, just dont expect any major changes. I'd also wrap the plenum before I wrapped the actual intake tubes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts