BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,

I've taken the day off to call what seems to be anyone that sells UK car insurance.

Once again Liverpool victoria told me to get lost for what I can only assume me not being old enough (26). Dear Adrian wants 1100 quid which I find a bloody cheek when I only paid 870 last year and havn't made a claim.

I've had some cracking stories though as to why my insurance has gone up . The common one is the tidal wave over christmas. REALLY I say. Lloyds of London underwrite mud and bamboo houses do they or have the Red Cross been crashing into things? Pond life.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. The best thus far have been Direct line at 802 quid but the winner is 735 quid with Privilege. Both have to be bought online.

The most laughable quote was the brokers Allen & Allen. £2415.45 pence. This is with a new customer discount of 10%. I said if you can knock one six eighty one off I'll take it. She said, yeah I can knock 168 off. No I said. Knock one thousand, six hundred and eighty one off. She went a bit quite. hiha

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Have you tried Elephant.co.uk ?

They came up trumps with me at £702 Fully comp,

thats for me (32) full NCB, no points, driveway & live in the smoke.

Previous year it was on a classic car policy (around 750) but they decided to stop that this year (thanks ! )

Oh, and just to add insult to injury they dont count you've earned any no-claims discount on a classic car policy!

So not only did they want to fleece more money this year, they also weren't prepaired to provide proof of no-claims (B*stards)

The company ? C*role N*sh

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm with Privilage as well, FNCB, 31 - £475. Theres a catch though...looking at the policy the value of the car is, Market Value. I think this means glass's guide price which is well low i.e. 3k. As mine is a humble 3.8 5 speed i am prepared to risk it, but if I had a LE it would be a different story.
Cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thats a valid point actually, as when I was covered by the classic policy last year they met at an agreed value ( by photo valuation) of £11K,
but this year they would probably pay out peanuts...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alan Archer said:
Thats a valid point actually, as when I was covered by the classic policy last year they met at an agreed value ( by photo valuation) of £11K,
but this year they would probably pay out peanuts...
Hi Alan, Phlem5

Thanks for your input. I will have a call round to see if I can get classic insurance rather than a market value price. If anyone else on the board has a classic car insurance policy with agreed value then please let me know.

If I end up with a market value policy I'll just have to keep a tab on those good examples sold on auto trader et al and wave the book of invoices at them.

Best

Jonathan

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got mine on a classic policy arranged through Alexander Forbes in the city who do some of my other motors too (so I do wonder if it might be a favour?) - but agreed value of 10k and last renewal was £340 including some no claim discount. It is limited to 5000 miles though so may not suit everyone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live in Manchester and drive a peugeot 205 diesel as my every day car, which I have a permanent policy for. Tesco motor insurance allows me to add the M5 as a temporary additional vehicle for about £7/day, but they only let me do that a handful of times a year. This is the only way I have found to insure the M5 without paying thousands a year (Carole Nash have just quoted me £5000!!!). I live in M16, and am 25 yrs old.

The other problem is although I have 5 yrs NCB, I can only use it on one policy at a time, and without it my peugeot insurance doubles!

What do other people do? I can't be the only person this young in a city with an M5??

Does anyone have a single policy for 2 cars, so they can use their NCB on two cars at once?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Why don't you use the 5 years NCB on the M5, and pay double for the 205? Surely double is still just pennies for that....

:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
148 Posts
AndyE said:
Why don't you use the 5 years NCB on the M5, and pay double for the 205? Surely double is still just pennies for that....

:M5thumbs:
Hi Andy

Cos I live in one of the worst postcodes in the country for insurance, I still pay around £500 for the peugeot! So if I used the 5yrs NCB on the beemer the best quote i've had is £1000, so double the peugeot premium and add that = £2000! Believe it or not, when I lived in oxfordshire the m5 was the same price to insure as the peugeot is in manchester!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

I've managed to sort out the insurance after spending bloody hours on the phone but it has paid to do this.

In my case, the classic policies were all too restrictive. Most would only allow a maximum of 7500K per year or said the car has to be exactly 10 years old which mine isn't at the time of writing. Also, intrestingly, these classic policies were quite alot more if you wanted an agreed value in comparison to regular fully comprehensive insurance which I thought slightly unfair.

Anyway, I've ended up staying with Adrian Fl*X. After giving them a hard time and waving some very low prices at them, in the end the premium for fully comp with unlimited mileage and protected no claims was £680 quid including the legal + 'roadrage cover' - whatever the Fl*x that is.
All in, not too bad for a 26 year old me thinks. Still, proof of service is in making a claim. Just hope I don't have to!

Best

M5 Powered.

·
Registered
148 Posts
M5 powered - what's your postcode like? That's what makes the difference.... All my quotes have been way more than yours just for TPFT and I'm almost 26 with 5 yrs no claims!

by the way, looked at your photos, your car is beautiful....

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
jack880 said:
M5 powered - what's your postcode like? That's what makes the difference.... All my quotes have been way more than yours just for TPFT and I'm almost 26 with 5 yrs no claims!

by the way, looked at your photos, your car is beautiful....
Hi,

My postcode is quite good being B90 Solihull. Mind you, my girlfriend's house which is only two miles away is horrendous as it is classed as Birmingham.
Also they've had problems on their street for years with Radios periodically going which over time hasn't done them any favours.

Needless to say my car doesn't stay there.

The best thing to do with insurance companies is play them off one another.
Each year you tend to find one major insurer discounting more than others. This is because they are trying to get market share and have negotiated and /or bought more bulk policy coverage. Tescos did this when they first started and Privilege who are basically Direct Line were by far the cheaper this year.
If you use the lowest online price as a benchmark and then call round you'll be suprised at what reductions you can get especially as insurers have quite keen targets and use the word price match. For them this is fine though as Joe Public can't be arsed and just pays the renewal.

When I tell people I take the day off to phone round they think I'm mad.
However, when on average my saving is 400 quid who is the one mad?

J

·
Registered
148 Posts
M5 powered said:
Hi,

My postcode is quite good being B90 Solihull. Mind you, my girlfriend's house which is only two miles away is horrendous as it is classed as Birmingham.
Also they've had problems on their street for years with Radios periodically going which over time hasn't done them any favours.

Needless to say my car doesn't stay there.

The best thing to do with insurance companies is play them off one another.
Each year you tend to find one major insurer discounting more than others. This is because they are trying to get market share and have negotiated and /or bought more bulk policy coverage. Tescos did this when they first started and Privilege who are basically Direct Line were by far the cheaper this year.
If you use the lowest online price as a benchmark and then call round you'll be suprised at what reductions you can get especially as insurers have quite keen targets and use the word price match. For them this is fine though as Joe Public can't be arsed and just pays the renewal.

When I tell people I take the day off to phone round they think I'm mad.
However, when on average my saving is 400 quid who is the one mad?

J
Cheers for the advice mate. Yeah, it's definately worth phoning around, its unbelieveable the different prices you can get for the same policy.... I'll keep trying.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts