BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got rear ended and need new exhaust and rear bumper. Fortunately, the person who rear ended me has insurance. I'm concerned about what the insurance company is trying to do. They will not budge, and insist since there is a reconditioned bumper available that it is within their right to use that as a replacement. As long as it is in acceptable and quality condition.

Does anyone know if I have any leverage other than when the bumper arrives and if it doesn't appear to be of good quality I can get them to pay for a OEM bumper. The ridiculous thing is that the OEM is only $100 more.

Also, any thoughts about the reconditioned bumper? Should I be this concerned? I guess I'm thinking if I were to resale a buyer might not like the idea of a reconditioned part.

Any constructive imput sure would be appreciated!

The best news is I'll now be switching from my Tubi exhaust to RPI's GT exhaust system. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tell them no, you want OEM - and don't take no for an answer.

I assume you mean the other person's insurance company is making this demand, right? I had this happen to me once. A woman rear ended me, requiring a new bumper cover and paint. The woman's insurance company tried to tell me which body shop to use (it was basically the equivalent of Maaco) and they wanted me to use non-OEM replacement parts. I just said no, that it was not their decision. Their client hit me, so they had no say over how my car was repaired. I told them I was going to a BMW certified body shop and they were going to use an OEM bumper. They can figure out how to recoup the cost from their client. My car was OEM before their client hit me and it's going to be OEM afterwards. They pushed back initially, so I started talking about a diminished value claim and they quickly backed off.

Bottom line - Don't let them bully you. Stand your ground.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AGS!
The bumper they are trying to pawn off on me is OEM, it's just a reconditioned one. Do you still hold the same position? Wouldn't a BMW certified shop use the same part?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I still hold the same position. Did you have a reconditioned bumped on the car before the accident? No! Why should you have to settle for that (even if it is undetectable)? Again, you did nothing wrong - they hit you. The shop may offer you a reconditioned part to save you money, but since your not paying for it why settle? The body shop should do whatever you tell them to do. If you specify new OEM and they use a reconditioned OEM (to line their pockets) that's fraud.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had a similar situation happen with my 10 yr old Mercedes I just sold. I was rear ended and they at first where only going to repair the bumper which was unacceptable to me. I ended up taking my car with the estimate to one of the best body shops in my area of VA and they strong armed the insurance company as they refuse to use used parts and they use all brand new parts and use nothing existing that was in any way affected by the accident. When they where done the cost was about 4 times what the estimate was.

I suggest you do research in your area and find a top tier shop as they will refuse to use reconditioned parts and they will fight on your behalf with the insurance company.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Tell them no, you want OEM - and don't take no for an answer.

I assume you mean the other person's insurance company is making this demand, right? I had this happen to me once. A woman rear ended me, requiring a new bumper cover and paint. The woman's insurance company tried to tell me which body shop to use (it was basically the equivalent of Maaco) and they wanted me to use non-OEM replacement parts. I just said no, that it was not their decision. Their client hit me, so they had no say over how my car was repaired. I told them I was going to a BMW certified body shop and they were going to use an OEM bumper. They can figure out how to recoup the cost from their client. My car was OEM before their client hit me and it's going to be OEM afterwards. They pushed back initially, so I started talking about a diminished value claim and they quickly backed off.

Bottom line - Don't let them bully you. Stand your ground.
I had a similar situation happen with my 10 yr old Mercedes I just sold. I was rear ended and they at first where only going to repair the bumper which was unacceptable to me. I ended up taking my car with the estimate to one of the best body shops in my area of VA and they strong armed the insurance company as they refuse to use used parts and they use all brand new parts and use nothing existing that was in any way affected by the accident. When they where done the cost was about 4 times what the estimate was.

I suggest you do research in your area and find a top tier shop as they will refuse to use reconditioned parts and they will fight on your behalf with the insurance company.

I agree with these guys 100%. Also don't use he reccommeded insurance company repair shop either. MY insurance company suggested that i go to the worse rpairshop in my little city. I ended up going to the shop that BMW and Mercedes take their cares and the repair bill went from $2200 to $5300 in just an hour. Definitely don't let them try to bully you. Like AGS said threaten them with the diminish value and they will calm down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts