BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an E46 M3 and E30....selling both these and picked up a 2004 Range Rover and waiting on an M6

I talked to my insurance agent to ask what the quotes on the RR and M6 would be....and I was surprised to find that my rates would nearly double compared to what I was paying before...

something about the M3 being rated a "21" vs. the M6 being a "27"?

Are people paying this much on an M6 for insurance?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course it depends on your driving record, age, where you live, etc.
For my M6 I'm paying $650 every 6 months from State Farm.
Wow!!!...that is an incredible rate!!!..you must have a clean record!

I got quoted almost 4 times that due to a bad driving record...

any good insurance companies?....ill try State Farm....

·
Registered
192 Posts
for my 08 M6....I'm paying $2420 every 6 months from state farm because im only 23

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wow!!!...that is an incredible rate!!!..you must have a clean record!

I got quoted almost 4 times that due to a bad driving record...

any good insurance companies?....ill try State Farm....
A bad driving record will kill you every time. I've never been
in an accident and I've never gotten a ticket (knock on wood).

You can get cheaper insurance from more unknown companies but
I would be wary. Take a look over this site. It's California data but
it's informative:

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0040-studies-reports/0020-complaint-study/auto_complaint_composite_web.cfm

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I am paying $680 every 6 months. I have $250 deductible. It’s thru USAA.

This is NOT directed at the OP.

I was thinking of this exact issue the other day and it came to mind that we are seeing many more people on this board that may not be able to afford these cars at the $1800 monthly lease payments, but can justify (with the specials on the 2007 cars) the $1200 payment. It was going to be a shock when the insurance company gets wind that they went from a $35k to a $100k car.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I am paying $680 every 6 months. I have $250 deductible. It’s thru USAA.

This is NOT directed at the OP.

I was thinking of this exact issue the other day and it came to mind that we are seeing many more people on this board that may not be able to afford these cars at the $1800 monthly lease payments, but can justify (with the specials on the 2007 cars) the $1200 payment. It was going to be a shock when the insurance company gets wind that they went from a $35k to a $100k car.
Well, now that you mention it, as you know it's more that this. You have
$700 for vehicle registration + at least $1300 for gas per year. And on
top of this there are those that are mod crazy. Add an additional 20k
per year...yeah...this car is expensive. ouich

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Dude, I used to POC race and that cost me $30k a year, between tires, entry fee's, hotels, gas, not including engine rebuilds that could cost an additional $30k from PNA, it could easlily be a $60k year without including the cost of the car or getting into any accidents.

To spend $100k a year on racing is cheap. To spend $20k a year modding a car is chump change.

Needless to say I had to give it up as it was just too financialy draining for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im 24 yrs old. Decent driving record, I have mercury Insurance and pay 1400/yr ($700 every 6 months)full coverage with a 100.00 deductible and thats on the convertible. It also helps to have multiple cars and your homeowners insurance to get a slight discount.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Dude, I used to POC race and that cost me $30k a year, between tires, entry fee's, hotels, gas, not including engine rebuilds that could cost an additional $30k from PNA, it could easlily be a $60k year without including the cost of the car or getting into any accidents.

To spend $100k a year on racing is cheap. To spend $20k a year modding a car is chump change.

Needless to say I had to give it up as it was just too financialy draining for me.
LOL! Yes, there's always another level.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. guys....

Well, after doing much research, Progressive gave me the lowest rate...and it's a whopping $1970/6 mos. to cover the M6 and '04 RR...

So why is my rate so high? It's my own fault, of course...I have one speeding ticket (shamefully speeding in excess in the M3) that has categorized me as a higher risk....

Lesson = do NOT get a speeding ticket!!!!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have no idea what I am paying for my insurance on my M6 and don't care. I love the friggin thing. I have one moving violation in the past 15 years (that sound you're hearing is me knocking on my wooden desk) so my rates are not that unreasonable.

If I'm going to pay $100K plus for a V10, 500 hp monster then, really, am I going to worry about my insurance rates?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I pay 490$ for 6 months i am 19 insured in geico full coverage connections you know :) fiew tickets all fixed up by lawyers this way my records are clean

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I pay 490$ for 6 months i am 19 insured in geico full coverage connections you know :) fiew tickets all fixed up by lawyers this way my records are clean
Big Surpirse here ouich

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nevertheless, 490 is crazy cheap!!! at age 19 how are you even affording an M6?!?

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have computer business ;) i own acura tl 2008, and now m6 conf softclose door and :) night vision that everybody said its inposible with conections everything is possible, they have 2 m6's including mine that is driving with night vision... :)(installed by bmw)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
now m6 conf softclose door and :) night vision that everybody said its inposible with conections everything is possible, they have 2 m6's including mine that is driving with night vision... :)(installed by bmw)

Yoda...Yoda is that you?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts