BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm so close to buying my dream car, a 92 or 94 BMW M5, but sadly I think I'm going to fail so close to the end!

In a nutshell, I'm an American whose living in the UK. I've lived here for 3 years but only recently got my license. Before I started looking I checked confused.com for an insurance quote, and when it asked how many years I had no claims, I rightfully put down 13+ years. My quotes were about £800-£900 a year for full comprehensive which I thought was reasonable.

However, I have just now found out that Insurance companies only care about the no claims had in the UK, and despite the fact that I am 34 and have been driving since I was 15, I am being statistically treated like a teenager! My quotes are about £3,000+ for just third party!!

Does anyone know of any insurer that will not treat me like a child? I am so bummed so be so close, but so far!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Geoffrey

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi there,

I'm about to renew my insurance next week and am looking for a classic policy if possible. I would have thought this would be your best bet, as more often than not they don't take no claims in to account.
The companies to try are Herts Insurance Consultants, Adrian Flux and Firebond off the top of my head, although Firebond wouldn't insure my M5 as a classic because of the performance :confused: I didn't realise classic meant no performance :hihi:

I will post my findings for you next week after I've done some phoning round.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try Elephant.co.uk - I only pay £1200 Fully Comp and i am 32 with only 3 years N/C (Because of theiving Scum!!!!)

Hope that helps

Simon:cheers:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Iv'e just insured my 91 M5 3.6L for £377 fully comp 250xs on a 'Future classics' policy with AON Classic car insurance.
No claims are not useable on this classic policy anyway, which is great cos I can run a 730i with my no claims.

http://www.aon-classiccar.com/new_contacts.htm

Hope this makes your new toy a bit more accessible..
Nearest I could get on a regular policy was £877 so I think it makes sense to limit to 5000... mine's currently broken so It ain't goin nowhere for a bit anyway... saving me miles haha

·
Registered
757 Posts
durt said:
Try "Liverpool Victoria" - they are very competitive and take some beating.

:thumbsup:
Didn't they offer you a low settlement though?

For what it's worth, LV were the lowest I could get until my broker decided to undercut them.
:happybirt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts