BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks! I'm new here. I've been wanting to get an M5 for a while now, and am finally starting to do some research. This will be my first foreign car (I'm stateside).

Now, the only way I can see myself buying an M5 is with cash. I can't justify financing a vehicle this expensive only to owe more on the car than the car is worth within 6mos.

So I've been doing some looking at used M5's, and came across something I hadn't considered before. Insurance claims.

I found a 2002 M5, (Manual, 5.0L) with ~30k for mileage for $16,900. But it was totalled. Damage to the passenger side doors and rear quarterpanel.

Has anyone had any luck fixing up a totaled M5? My girlfriends dad has an auto-body shop with a frame-rack for straightening totalled frames, and buys a lot of wrecked cars and fixes them.

What kind of cost am I looking at, worst case scenario, given that the engine is still good?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
amish_geek said:
Hello Folks! I'm new here. I've been wanting to get an M5 for a while now, and am finally starting to do some research. This will be my first foreign car (I'm stateside).

Now, the only way I can see myself buying an M5 is with cash. I can't justify financing a vehicle this expensive only to owe more on the car than the car is worth within 6mos.

So I've been doing some looking at used M5's, and came across something I hadn't considered before. Insurance claims.

I found a 2002 M5, (Manual, 5.0L) with ~30k for mileage for $16,900. But it was totalled. Damage to the passenger side doors and rear quarterpanel.

Has anyone had any luck fixing up a totaled M5? My girlfriends dad has an auto-body shop with a frame-rack for straightening totalled frames, and buys a lot of wrecked cars and fixes them.

What kind of cost am I looking at, worst case scenario, given that the engine is still good?
Kind of scary without a pro looking at it. I would take girlfriends dad to look at car and work up estimate. Then you will know if the cost of purchase plus cost of repair is significantly below market price to make it worthwhile. My guess is no, and that is before taking into account you prob have a car with a salvage title, further depressing the value.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
531 Posts
Selling it once you fixed it up would be really hard.

When you're dealing with a engine and power of this scale I wouldn't want to be thinking in the back of my head at 120 mph if the car was 100% straight and true! I wouldn't get near anything that was totalled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts