BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend a work with a '01 M5 and it's experiencing dead pixels on his instrument cluster. The dealer said it's a common problem and that they could get him a new cluster but they said after they install a new instrument cluster the car will be reset to 0 mileage and they will put a sticker on the car to document the cluster replacement. This sound unacceptable to my friend since this could kill the resale value of the car. I always thought that the mileage info was stored in the computer and the cluster was just a display. Is this true about the mileage reset?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yep, thats bull. My '00 guages were even replaced by the dealer without my consent so it must be easy to do! I had the nice black face guages and due to a few missing pixels at the bottom, dealer swapped it for the grey type. Everything was reprogrammed fine and you'd never know it was changed so your dealer is misinformed or he's trying to discourage you from doing it for whatever reason.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
dmz said:
I have a friend a work with a '01 M5 and it's experiencing dead pixels on his instrument cluster. The dealer said it's a common problem and that they could get him a new cluster but they said after they install a new instrument cluster the car will be reset to 0 mileage and they will put a sticker on the car to document the cluster replacement. This sound unacceptable to my friend since this could kill the resale value of the car. I always thought that the mileage info was stored in the computer and the cluster was just a display. Is this true about the mileage reset?
My '01 cluster was replaced over a year ago and everything was simply recoded. Correct mileage included. If that wasn't the case, just think of how many "low mileage" E39 M5's could be floating around! :rolleyes:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright, that what I thought. Sounds like the stealer is just trying to discourage him to do this because it's a warranty item. One more reason to hate those **** stealers!:grrrr:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
dmz said:
Allright, that what I thought. Sounds like the stealer is just trying to discourage him to do this because it's a warranty item. One more reason to hate those **** stealers!:grrrr:
A competent mechanic actually has two ways to recode the speedometer. They can download the original speedometer odometer reading or they can synchronize the new speedo assembly to the light module register which is typically within 100 miles.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Yup... total BS!

My cluster was replaced with the newer grey one and all they did was upload the data from the old cluster and download it onto the newer one! Simple!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
dmz said:
Yo dmz before he goes and spends lots of money on the new cluster try this out - it worked for me. On both side walls of the engine bay above each wheel there are two earthing blocks, just attached to the chasis for earthing reasons, get him to try them to see if they are loose, they were on mine and it sorted out the problem all pixels now fully functioning, worth a try anyways.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
610 Posts
willm5ad said:
Yo dmz before he goes and spends lots of money on the new cluster try this out - it worked for me. On both side walls of the engine bay above each wheel there are two earthing blocks, just attached to the chasis for earthing reasons, get him to try them to see if they are loose, they were on mine and it sorted out the problem all pixels now fully functioning, worth a try anyways.
WillM5AD
What do you mean by earthing blocks? Don't suppose you have any pictures?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Will meant the grounding wire. I can see that could be the ground if the whole cluster went out. But how would ground affect only some pixels?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I had my 00 replaced with the gray 03 last year because of pixels.. and the dealership gave it back to me with about 300 less miles than when I gave it to them. I wondered if it was to allow them some free time with my M5 on the local roads... hmmm

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Anzir said:
I had my 00 replaced with the gray 03 last year because of pixels.. and the dealership gave it back to me with about 300 less miles than when I gave it to them. I wondered if it was to allow them some free time with my M5 on the local roads... hmmm

They can download the original speedometer odometer reading or they can synchronize the new speedo assembly to the light module register. These values will seldom agree exactly because they are driven off different wheel sensors. The comparison registers slowly slip from synchronicity due to electrical glitches, wheelspin etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer a display with a few random pixels out or a new gray cluster. I just like the black better, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
TexasM5 said:
I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer a display with a few random pixels out or a new gray cluster. I just like the black better, I suppose.
I was the same until I was forced to get a new one because so many of the pixels went out. Now I'm glad I have it.. it's actually quite slick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anzir said:
I was the same until I was forced to get a new one because so many of the pixels went out. Now I'm glad I have it.. it's actually quite slick.
I didn't see this ongoing thread on the subject.

Just had mine switched and the light grey color is a shock to my system.

I like the black much better. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. The black background is much easier to read. Especially when you are wearing sunglasses.

·
Registered
612 Posts
TexasM5 said:
I just like the black better, I suppose.
I'm with you guys - I like the Black much better. But I didn't have a choice on my 2002! Another BMW "improvement"? (Of course there will be those on the Board that love the gray faces. It's all personal taste. At least they didn't go with the dreaded retro white faces!)

Hee hee.... just checked my post here and it is SOOO nice to have that M5 avitar now that I actually have my beast!!

(But driving to and from work yesterday it managed to pick up a rock chip on the left front side panel! :mad: Okay, relax....breathe deeply. Oh well, if you drive them, I guess we have to know that it will happen. But the very first day!?!)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
dmz said:
....they said after they install a new instrument cluster the car will be reset to 0 mileage and they will put a sticker on the car to document the cluster replacement.
That is 100% BS. Get it in writing, then call BMW NA.

You need the DIS or GT-1 computer to properly set up the instrument cluster, but ever BMW dealer has those.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts