BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My replacement mirror arrived today and I noticed that there is no real agreement on this site regarding on how to install this almost free ($75 plus shipping) part. To twist or not to twist- that is the question.

The posted manual pages say "do not twist off" but it may be speaking to the mirror itself and not the attached mounting arm. Others members indicate a clockwise twist to remove and the opposite to mount.

I would appreciate some advice as I am tired of looking at that oval bubble would like to get the replacement on this weekend.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think this is well-covered if you do a search but the consensus is to twist. It takes some bit of alignment and it's at an awkward angle so it's hard to get the right angle and leverage, but basically you line up the base so it fits onto the mounting square and until it's flush with windshield, then twist on about 1/4 to 1/3 a turn. Twist to take off, too. You need to snap apart the plastic clamshell cover first.

Reactions: lednuor

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When I looked it up on TIS , it recommend to not twisting the mirror to snap it out (Risk of damage).

Anyway, here is the procedure from TIS.
For E39 M5 owner, the procedure is Procedure E (autodimming with Rain Sensor).

Although I am still not sure which direction we are supposed to snap the mirror unit to release it.

Take a look, and perhaps you could clarify some of the step here.

Regardz,

J Irwan

Attachments

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
When I looked it up on TIS , it recommend to not twisting the mirror to snap it out (Risk of damage).
I looked at the pages you attached. It says not to remove the "mirror" by twisting. But if you're taking the entire assembly off the car, you "twist" the "mirror foot" through 45 degrees. Maybe what they really mean is "swivel." IOW, you rotate the base in the plane of the windshield, but do not "twist" it off by pulling it away by separating one edge then another.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Anyway, here is the procedure from TIS.
For E39 M5 owner, the procedure is Procedure E (autodimming with Rain Sensor).
Thanks for posting the attachment...very helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mirror On- You Twist

Just installed my mirror- after removing the clam-shell you twist the mounting arm from 6:00 to about 3:00 even with the plane of the windshield to remove. It is spring loaded so there is a bit of flexible resistance.

As others have mentioned (thanks to all) the replacement procedure is just the opposite, but it took three tries to get it on- you set the mirror arm arm base flat over the mounting plate with the arm at about 3:00 and holding base of the arm down on the mounting plate move the arm back down to 6:00. You can see how the windshield mounting plate and three spring catches on the base of the mirror arm line up.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
So I just found out that they charge double for Canadians and I'm waiting on an explanation as to why that is. That really pisses me off. It's not like it costs THAT MUCH extra to ship to Canada. Like WTF! I wil probably get them to ship to my in-laws place in Pennsylvania since I'm going there in a few weeks but I'd rather not carry it on a plane.

Here is the reply from Sybesmas:

Hi Scott,
<O:p</O:p
This is the cost that we offer to customers in Canada, it is quite reasonable compared to the cost of a new mirror. If you would like to do a remanufactured exchange we would be more than happy to assist you. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Warmest Regards,<O:p</O:p
Stacy<O:p</O:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts