BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the C.A. Automotive carbon fiber Rear Diffuser yesterday.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

It took a total of 2.5 hours including a trip to a automotive paint store <o:p></o:p>

My comments concerning the quality and installation:<o:p></o:p>

1. The shipping bubble wrap was applied before the clear coat was completely dry. This resulted in leaving half moons in the finish on every part. I spent 1/2 hour polishing out these marks with 3M fine liquid polishing compound. The majority of them came out, so no real damage done,<o:p></o:p>

2. The provided German mastic though in a sealed tube had solidified. We couldn't figure out why. I had to go out to a automotive paint supply company for a replacement tube ($8.00).<o:p></o:p>

3. The C.F. rear trim piece that fits over the exhaust system does not fit flush with the body. Check out the pictures. They show the problem in both of the corners.<o:p></o:p>

4. The cutouts for the Tubi exhaust are cut too low. The left exhaust tip sits 1/8 inch below the cutout. The right exhaust is 1/32 below the cut. I plan to see if I can adjust the exhaust height brackets down another 1/2 inch.<o:p></o:p>

5. The provided hardware is first class. All of the necessary hardware was included.<o:p></o:p>

6. The ACS instructions are vague but adequate. Contact me if you have any problems installing the system.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Considering I received the first unit out of the molds, I am satisfied with the quality of the light (5lbs. max) hand fabricated diffuser. The next units should even be better if they make a few small changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
MANY THANKS BOB :M5thumbs:

regarding the slightly proud edges on the deffuser frame ,here is a good solution from our carbon guy :

ONE THING THAT CAN BE DONE QUICKLY IS BOB CAN SEND HIS BACK AND I CAN INSTALL FASTNERS ON HIS PART AND SEND IT BACK. THIS WAY IT CAN BE PULLED TIGHT TO THE BUMPER COVER. THIS MOD CAN BE DONE AND SENT BACK OUT THE SAME DAY I GET THE PART. I WILL ALSO DO THIS MOD TO ALL OTHER PARTS. THIS WAY NO GLUE WILL BE REQUIRED TO SET UP BEFORE DRIVING OFF AND WILL LESSON INSTALL TIME.

THANKS <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea, but how do you propose I remove the ceter section since it is glued on? I seriously doubt it can be removed in one piece because of the adhesive.
Please provide me with the removal instructions and I will return it to you for retrofitting.

CA Automotive said:
MANY THANKS BOB :M5thumbs:

regarding the slightly proud edges on the deffuser frame ,here is a good solution from our carbon guy :

ONE THING THAT CAN BE DONE QUICKLY IS BOB CAN SEND HIS BACK AND I CAN INSTALL FASTNERS ON HIS PART AND SEND IT BACK. THIS WAY IT CAN BE PULLED TIGHT TO THE BUMPER COVER. THIS MOD CAN BE DONE AND SENT BACK OUT THE SAME DAY I GET THE PART. I WILL ALSO DO THIS MOD TO ALL OTHER PARTS. THIS WAY NO GLUE WILL BE REQUIRED TO SET UP BEFORE DRIVING OFF AND WILL LESSON INSTALL TIME.

THANKS ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Call it nit picking, but it would have been great if the weave was uniform on both peices no? As in going in the same direction?

·
10,458 Posts
Bob, did you do the install yourself? Did the bumper cover need to be removed? Just curious...
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some help on a Saturday at the local Dinan shop.
We put it on a lift to make it easier to install, since Idon't have ramps and jack stands
The OE plastic center section snaps off and from there you cut a section out of the protruding plastic piece behind the center section.
No, the bumper cover does not have to come off.
It took no more than 1.5 hours of labor to install.
A very straight forward installation.
P.M. me if you have any further questions.

mottati said:
Bob, did you do the install yourself? Did the bumper cover need to be removed? Just curious...
Mike

·
10,458 Posts
CA Automotive said:
we will try to alaign weave direction if that is what you all want , no problem . some people actyally prefer the weave to be in oposite directions on something like this ....horses for courses :)
Personally, i'm not that picky! I'll take it whichever way i get it...
Roy, when do you think the rest of us will get ours?
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roy;
Where are you in the fabrication of the rear diffuser units?
Thanks

CA Automotive said:
we are producing them as we speak :)

regards

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hi

sorry not to have posted recently

we are working now on getting all the other orders out ; the factory was affected bythe recent hurricane and storms , so we are behind due to this.

We hope to be back on track end of the week

apologies to all for this delay , but no one could have forseen the storm situation .....

·
10,458 Posts
any new info on a shipping date for these?
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts