BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But my problem is that I could not push them all the way in. there is a ~4mm gap that they would not push in any further. I was scared I would break the tool in doing so.

So the only thing I can think of is removing the subframe and getting them pressed in, which is not going to happen. It took me about ~10 hours to do the two bushes with a homemade tool.

I had them in the freezer and also put some p-80 lube on them before inserting.

When putting in the bushes, there is a slight edge in the subframe that the bushes should go in as. (see picture Picasa Web Albums - Kris - Subframe bush)

I didn’t locate the bush correctly the first time and thought that was the reason they would not go all the way in. However on the other side, I located the bush correctly and it was like the other side, about ~4mm to and it was stuck there. :(

Here are the pics
Picasa Web Albums - Kris - Subframe bush

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you measure the new bushes to be the same length as the old ones ? When I did mine using a similar made up tool I used a thin smear of washing up liquid as the lubricant. The force required to press them in was not near the limit of breaking the tool (i.e. stripping the thread of the threaded bar).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I've got a Sealey tool for winding these bushes in and it's not a nice job !

They should go all the way , as per AliveM5's pic .

Meanwhile Simon , I'd suggest a wirebrush and spray of white grease on that pipework of yours !

D

·
Registered
256 Posts
This photos looks like the lost industrial cave of old technology.

Did you measure the new bushes to be the same length as the old ones ? When I did mine using a similar made up tool I used a thin smear of washing up liquid as the lubricant. The force required to press them in was not near the limit of breaking the tool (i.e. stripping the thread of the threaded bar).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts