BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Stealth1 today [yeah!] and once I was finished, went to start the car to check the system and I have no NAV display, no radio, no nothing [boooooo!] though the NAV does pop out to feed a cassette tape. To make matters worse, the car was set to be immobilized so it won"t even start up for me, I just get auxiliary power. When I pop out the NAV tray to load a cassette, I notice that the display does go black from what seems to be a blank, powered screen. That"s all the info I can provide at this time unless someone says to check something else.

I attached the S1 to one of the white, grey, yellow wires under the dash [see pic] It seems like I had my choice.

I"ve checked connections, cables, even detached the S1 from the Ibus, and it still won"t display. Checked fuses, too [in the tray in the glove box]. Anything I missed? Anything I have to reset? Anything I blew?

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but is there any possibility you connected to the purple instead of gray? The 2 colors are fairly close.

Or maybe something came loose in the splice box when you were working on it? In mine, the white/gray/yellow wires were at the absolute farthest point from what was easily accessible, so it was a king-sized pain to get the tap on.

Maybe you can disconnect the S1, disconnect battery power for a couple of minutes, and then reconnect bat and at least regain normal operation.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In mine, the white/gray/yellow wires were at the absolute farthest point from what was easily accessible, so it was a king-sized pain to get the tap on.
my white/gray/yellow wires did seem to be opposite the pics provided from S1 for the install, they seemed easy to get to so i'm wondering if i tapped into the wrong wires. but the Valentine seems to be operating in stealth mode as there are no display lights showing when i start the vehicle.

Maybe you can disconnect the S1, disconnect battery power for a couple of minutes, and then reconnect bat and at least regain normal operation.
I am tempted to try that route...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
my white/gray/yellow wires did seem to be opposite the pics provided from S1 for the install, they seemed easy to get to so i'm wondering if i tapped into the wrong wires. but the Valentine seems to be operating in stealth mode as there are no display lights showing when i start the vehicle.
I think the placement of the wires is at the discretion of the assembler at the factory. They just cram them into the box as they wish. You were luckier than I regarding where the ibus wires ended up.
It's pretty obvious that it's the right wire once you find it (with the exception of the gray/purple question if the lighting is poor or if your color perception isn't good).
I am tempted to try that route...
This is a painless 3 minute drill. 10mm socket I think. But before disconnecting/reconnecting battery, it doesn't hurt to close all doors and let all lights go out so that there's less current draw while you disconnect. Make sure that Nav player is not running when you disconnect. Leave bat disconnected for a couple of minutes. There is some memory in the system that you have to let expire.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't work. any other suggestions???

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok, i reset my DSP as told by Ashok here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48709 and i get the initial BMW logo screen on the NAV display, but then it just blanks out after that.

any other suggestions?

**update**: well, at least i managed to bypass the immobilizer and get the car started. but still have no display on the NAV...

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
i'm wondering if i tapped into the wrong wires. but the Valentine seems to be operating in stealth mode as there are no display lights showing when i start the vehicle.

I am pretty sure my display lights on the V1 show at startup, but only at startup. Can you scroll through the programming (setup) options on the dash display?

At the very least, wouldn't removing the wire be determinative of a wrong wire tap?

I would also email Eric for some diagnosis, so at least you can rule out the S1.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty sure my display lights on the V1 show at startup, but only at startup. Can you scroll through the programming (setup) options on the dash display?

At the very least, wouldn't removing the wire be determinative of a wrong wire tap?

I would also email Eric for some diagnosis, so at least you can rule out the S1.
Regards,
Jerry
tried disconnecting the V1 from the S1 and disconnecting the S1 from the lead plugging into the Ibus, reset the DSP and when i put the fuses back in, I still got the initial BMW display, but then the display went black again. Then it never comes back.

I get no programming options from the S1 when I start the system when it's plugged in.

At least i got the car to start...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sounds like you definitely corrected to the wrong wire. Did you disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes ?

That will reset the IBus controller.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Need more input/ideas....

- Eric has been fantastic in trying to help me troubleshoot this issue, but before I follow his latest advice and take it to the $tealer to get fixed, I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas I might try to get my display to come back. Here is Eric's assessment from his latest message to me [I told him I was going to post it here]

- [Eric]"My theory is that you connected it to some other wire (not an IBus wire) which caused the Nav to Get confused and go into "Safe Mode". The E39 has both an I and K Bus, you most likely connected it to the wrong one.

I think the Car's Coding is confused and the only solution is to bring it to the dealer to have it checked out, furthermore, the reset sequence with the fuses and such might have only made it worse.

Connecting the StealthOne to the wrong wire might have also blown the output on the StealthOne, which is why I can send you another one to verify, I feel really bad for you, since this is the very first time something like this has ever happened, seriously.

At this point, I would remove the S1 and cable from the Car, take it in have them check out the coding."[/Eric]

- The rest of my symptoms being that I have no NAV display. Not when turning the ignition, nothing. If i reset the system [disconnect the battery, let it sit for 5 minutes, reconnect] I will get the initial BMW logo screen on the NAV display but then it goes dark and I will get nothing more from the display until I reset it again.

- on the I-bus/K-bus issue, was it possible for me to mix up tapping those two? the attached picture shows what I tapped which is white/grey/yellow as the S1 install instructions posted. It was the only wire I attempted to tap and nothing else looks like white/grey/yellow that would have gotten me confused.

Thanks, all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
before i just let this thread die and take it in to the $tealer to have them fix it, anyone have any ideas i can try at all to bring the NAV display back??

thanks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
When your display goes blank, is there no response from any buttons (menu, mode, radio knob, nav knob, etc.)?

Does the nav disk in the trunk go through any reading cycles? Normally the red activity light on the DVD nav player comes on when you open the trunk. Not sure what happens on Mk3. Can you eject the nav CD?

Are you sure there are no blown fuses?

Basic question is how dead is the system.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ok i would try opening the trunk wait for the red light to go out and pull out the nav and disconnect it for a few min and then pop it back in then start the car see if the nav screen comes back

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok i would try opening the trunk wait for the red light to go out and pull out the NAV and disconnect it for a few min and then pop it back in then start the car see if the nav screen comes back
no dice. I got activity lights on the disk, but still no display afterwards.

When your display goes blank, is there no response from any buttons (menu, mode, radio knob, nav knob, etc.)?
No response from any buttons.

Does the nav disk in the trunk go through any reading cycles? Normally the red activity light on the DVD nav player comes on when you open the trunk. Can you eject the nav CD?
Yes it does.

Are you sure there are no blown fuses?
yes. triple checked.

Basic question is how dead is the system.
The only time I get any display out of it at all is immediately after I pull the battery. I get the initial BMW logo screen on the NAV display, then nothing again until i pull the battery again.

Spoke to my indy today, he suggested looking for info on resetting the NAV system. I've gone through a few manuals on the NAV and the bus system, nothing seems to point to resetting a "safe mode" error in the system.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Spoke to my indy today, he suggested looking for info on resetting the NAV system. I've gone through a few manuals on the NAV and the bus system, nothing seems to point to resetting a "safe mode" error in the system.
Definitely strange. The most unusual reset procedure discussed online seems to be the DSP thing, which you've already done. Doesn't seem like there are going to be any more brilliant ideas. One thing you might do is try to load new nav S/W and see if it accepts it. Maybe your OS got corrupted. But you need to find someone with a working Mk3 nav S/W CD. Dealer could do this easily and maybe not charge too much. Some dealers don't seem to know a lot about recoding.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, thanks. My indy said he might be able to reset it. he has some pretty good software. And I'm taking it to him to install the new CNS clutch I'm getting in a couple weeks anyway. we'll see how it works out.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I hope it all works out well. Electrical problems can be a nightmare but in your case, you know what you connected where so if a simple reset doesn't do it, you may have fried something. Hope you find a simple resolution!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You most likely did 1 of 2 things:
1. Blew the video output stage,
2. Corrupted the firmware.

I've never heard of "safe mode".

1. seems unlikely unless you also have a tv module - a blown output stage wouldn't give you the startup screen ever.

So that leaves firmware.

Downgrade your firmware and then re-install. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but you've nothing to lose...

d-

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Display Solution [Yes!!!]

I've been busy installing my new Euro clear corners, Predator ICE and Xenon fogs & lamps all the while having the hanging wiring under the dash kinda telling me to pay attention to it. So I finally listened this afternoon and after taking some time to think about a new tack to approach this problem on, I tried removing the S1's power tap on the white/grey/yellow wire and see what happened. Voila!! I now have NAV display.

Anyone know why???

I've attached a pic of where I had the tap attached to, if anyone else who has installed theirs [without problems] can confirm that this is what it should look like, then I'm on the right track.

also, you can see where the tap chewed the wire sheath [well, that's what it's supposed to do.] I'm taking votes on whether i should just wrap it up with electrical tape and tap another wire, or cut the wire and reattach it with a connector or solder. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I've been busy installing my new Euro clear corners, Predator ICE and Xenon fogs & lamps all the while having the hanging wiring under the dash kinda telling me to pay attention to it. So I finally listened this afternoon and after taking some time to think about a new tack to approach this problem on, I tried removing the S1's power tap on the white/grey/yellow wire and see what happened. Voila!! I now have NAV display.

Anyone know why???

I've attached a pic of where I had the tap attached to, if anyone else who has installed theirs [without problems] can confirm that this is what it should look like, then I'm on the right track.

also, you can see where the tap chewed the wire sheath [well, that's what it's supposed to do.] I'm taking votes on whether i should just wrap it up with electrical tape and tap another wire, or cut the wire and reattach it with a connector or solder. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks for all the help!
You tapped POWER off the white w/ yellow wire? Hmmm... I'll need to look at notes but that seems like a bad idea to begin with...

Anyway, while I ponder that, the answer to your second question is: If you physically cut the wires inside the sheath you should solder the connection (assuming you can produce a good solder joint. If your soldering skill level will lead to a cold solder joint then don't bother) otherwise simply wrapping it in electrical tape is more than sufficient.

d-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts