BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my new SS headers from Shadowman (Discovery Automotive) earlier this week and spent the last few days installing them in my garage. I used my ramps and floors jacks to do the job.

This type of project is not for the faint of heart as the passenger side is a piece of cake but the drivers side is a real bastar*. Removing the drivers side engine mount nut and lifting the engine was not enough to get the header out so I dropped all the right side front suspension bolts out and jacked up the car some more so the suspension would drop down a bit futher allowing me to get the header out....a pain but there you have it. I am sure this is not normal but in my situation, it is what I needed to do. Maybe if the car was on a hoist it would have come out.

This was a tough job doing this on the floor of my garage but all in all I am very satisfied that I did this myself.

If you have the patience and apptitude then go for it, just take your time like I did. Installing an SC is much easier IMO.

I would like to extend my thanks to Shadowman for his great tech support on the phone and after hours, giving me pointers etc....he did a fantastic job...a real motor head like the rest of us here. I cannot speak highly enough about Discovery Automotive...great job guys..Thank You!

Performance wise, well the car takes off like a jack rabbit now...I bloody love it!!!!!!!!. This mod really helps my supercharger breath better releasing more performance from the car. The exhaust tone has more of a growl to it and is deeper. This is a fantastic mod, while rather steep, I think it is well worth the price of admission.

Cheers all.

Ben

·
Registered
784 Posts
ESS540iA said:
Well I got my new SS headers from Shadowman (Discovery Automotive) earlier this week and spent the last few days installing them in my garage. I used my ramps and floors jacks to do the job.

This type of project is not for the faint of heart as the passenger side is a piece of cake but the drivers side is a real bastar*. Removing the drivers side engine mount nut and lifting the engine was not enough to get the header out so I dropped all the right side front suspension bolts out and jacked up the car some more so the suspension would drop down a bit futher allowing me to get the header out....a pain but there you have it. I am sure this is not normal but in my situation, it is what I needed to do. Maybe if the car was on a hoist it would have come out.

This was a tough job doing this on the floor of my garage but all in all I am very satisfied that I did this myself.

If you have the patience and apptitude then go for it, just take your time like I did. Installing an SC is much easier IMO.

I would like to extend my thanks to Shadowman for his great tech support on the phone and after hours, giving me pointers etc....he did a fantastic job...a real motor head like the rest of us here. I cannot speak highly enough about Discovery Automotive...great job guys..Thank You!

Performance wise, well the car takes off like a jack rabbit now...I bloody love it!!!!!!!!. This mod really helps my supercharger breath better releasing more performance from the car. The exhaust tone has more of a growl to it and is deeper. This is a fantastic mod, while rather steep, I think it is well worth the price of admission.

Cheers all.

Ben

Ben:

Thank you for the kind words.... Working with you through the process was truly my pleasure.

For the record, Ben had a bit more trouble getting the driver side OEM exhaust out because on his 540 he had the precats that are connected directly to the OEM manifld. On the typical M5 the project is still ...... well lets say tedious but much easier than Ben's experience.

Having shared this his results were as we experience everytime.....wonderful.

Ben, thanks again.

The door remains open and the phone is on.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ben

Thank you for the post I too enjoyed our conversations. As I shared with you a Supercharged 540i is one of my favorite daily drivers and I’m still a little sad I didn’t buy board member DHarlands when I had the chance.

I’m glad she goes like a jack rabbit now.. enjoy her buddy

Sean

·
Registered
511 Posts
How do you see the ehaqders performing on a N/A 540, seeing that the 540 and M5 share the same exhaust manifolds one could presume that the manifolds are more than enough for the 540?

·
Registered
784 Posts
You are correct, both do share the same manifold system as such both have similar results based on where the process begins.

In the case of the M5 the headers with the supporting software such as PowerChip will produce an average of 35 RWHP however beause the 540 is not as high strung to begin with the results are a bit less....... since I have never dyno'd this application I would have to speculate that the result would be in the 20-25 RWHP range.

Please keep in mind that the headers produce not only an increase in Horsepower and Torque but also general throttle repsonse....the vehicle will feel and be much crisper to drive.

This consideration should remain at the top of your list.

Enjoy.

Shadowman

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks guys. Reason I ask is that on another board a member quoted that he had went that route and found no significant gains and thought it was just a waste of money. He seemed pretty convinced so I let it be. Thanks guys for the wonderful advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts