BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST OFF, Thanks to Dan "whatheheck" for the DIY thread on installing the grill, it was much help :M5thumbs:

Well, my Ebay carbon grill finally came in. Not bad for $116 (includes shipping) fitment is a little poor, clips are very sensitive. After working around it, things came together pretty well. So, caution for those who want to buy the cheaper Ebay grill, it might put up a little fight for installing. Just thought I'd share with everyone, let me know what you guys think :haha:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks nice. Keep in mind there is no "eBay grill" per se. Many different companies and manufacturers offer their wares on eBay, good, bad, and ugly.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I think it's Good quality , and Congrats :) but beware from what comes from e bay don't believe in all what you see . some times you choose the wrong
part for your beast .

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks nice. Keep in mind there is no "eBay grill" per se. Many different companies and manufacturers offer their wares on eBay, good, bad, and ugly.

Your right, but ya know what I mean. This particular one from Taiwan Lol..... probably Isn't the best on ebay, but hell, for $116 it turned out great.

·
8,369 Posts
Looks awesome Nick! I like it!

On mine, I went from original chrome, to polished black, now I have carbon black.

I may try Carbon Fiber next and see how it looks on my red beast.
It sure looks great on your blue beast.

Yes, those chinese made ones are not the best when it comes to fitment.
The technique is - when it first arrives, compare the OE and the after market side by side.
You will see that the clips on the after market are a little oversized.

Grab a pair of flush cutting side cutters and trim down the clips.
Then apply liquid soap to the clips after trimming them and it should go right in.

And you are welcome for my DIY write up! Thanks for mentioning and for the appreciation.
I have other DIY write ups posted on our websites and I never hear anything back from anyone there even though I know they put the info I provided to good use. So thank you, it helps to keep me going.

·
Registered
113 Posts
looking to the result, was for me the reason also to order one set of carbon grills. Looks great !!
Thank you very much for info !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks great can you send me the link of your auction..?? I know theres some fake CF ones that go cheap.. I want these..

Thanks

Jaron

·
8,369 Posts
Here you go. eBay link here:

You cant beat this price as these typically go for ~$350.00.
Dang Chinese can make them so cheap (I am part Chinese by the way so I can say that : )

Note:
I am not aware of a true carbon fiber kidney grille for our M6.
All of them to my knowledge are made of ABS plastic wrapped in CF cloth.

Just careful with the clips as they break off very easily.
DO NOT force the grille to go in.

Again, once it arrives, compare the OE versus the Chinese made especially the clips.
You will notice the after market clips are a little oversized.

Trim the clips down a bit using flush cutting side cutters.
Then apply liquid soap to the clips and it should go right in.

Hope that helps.

If you order, go ahead and post yours here too and let us know how satisfied you are.

Looks great can you send me the link of your auction..?? I know theres some fake CF ones that go cheap.. I want these..

Thanks

Jaron

·
Registered
67 Posts
The photo on the ebay auction very DIFFERENT to the one that you installed,. that is the reason I back off from buying it, I used to work in a speed shop that sell exhaust rims and stuff for japanese cars, and it remains me of those fake printed on carbon looking abs grill!!!

·
8,369 Posts
I thought for $86 I'd try the Chinese made CF kidney grille here.

Update:

1) Super fast expedited shipping. I received mine in 4 business days.

2) Upon close inspection of the grille:

Super thin layer of carbon fiber cloth was applied to the plastic part.
I dont know how long the CF layer will last.
I wont be surprised if it peels off after about a year.

Packaging was poor, hence, mine arrived cracked in 2 places.
The seller has great customer service though.
I sent him photos of the cracked grille and he is already sending me another one.

Hope you have better experience when you receive yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh boy...2 cracks huh..not good. Sorry to hear that. I took the same risk purchasing from the same seller. But i guess thats what we get for 86 bucks ya know. Hopefully your next set comming turns out much better.

Reactions: whatheheck
1 - 15 of 15 Posts