BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a MKIV and then updated the firmware to V32 with splash screen from here BMW Navigation Files @ neiloakley.com . Now I notice that the INFO button does not work. This is necessary to access RDS etc.

I searched but haven't found anyone else with this going on. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Just to cover the basics; is the radio turned "on" and the mode set to FM? The Mk-IV and custom v32 firmware should not affect the radio and the RDS/PTY settings.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Did the "Info" button work prior to installing the custom v32 firmware? Does the "Info" button work in Tape or CDC mode?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, for sure it worked with the MKIII and with the earlier version (didnt note that version). I haven't tried in tape mode (I don't own a single cassette). I can try in CD mode.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yes, for sure it worked with the MKIII and with the earlier version (didnt note that version). I haven't tried in tape mode (I don't own a single cassette). I can try in CD mode.
Ditch the custom firmware and load an OE firmware. If normal function returns, you will have your fix.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I was already contemplating that. I think that this can be resolved with navcoder also. I saw this post splitscreen view radio mode - Xoutpost.com where the navcoder creator says that navcoder can correct this. From his website NavCoder Website he says you need a I-bus interface cable and points to Rolf Resler - Homepage as an example of a source. Unfortunately, it appears only the USB side is provided. What I don't know is what the I-Bus connector that you would need looks like and where this connects to interface with the cars computer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just ordered the official V32 from local dealer (<$10.00 w/tax). I am thinking one of the things that could be an issue is that the software that is on the site I posted earlier and used for my install is coming from Europe. Is it possible that it is looking for you Euro spec unit (e.g. BM54).

Anyway, I will go back to what I know is a real driver version. At least then I will have a good reference point. I have found some good information on using SSS and Progman to reset the unit information. Hopefully my stuff shows up from BMcables before too long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I don't know is what the I-Bus connector that you would need looks like and where this connects to interface with the cars computer.
This website should clear up some things for you:
IBUS Interface for BMW cars

Basically, if you get a USB ibus interface, you plug the USB connector into your laptop (with the NavCoder software) & the other end of the cable you'll need to tap into a switched power wire, a ground wire, and the ibus wire. On my e39, I found all three in the trunk by the Nav. Switched power is usually a red wire with a white stripe, ground is always brown, and an ibus wire is yellow & white with grey dashes (if I recall correctly).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This website should clear up some things for you:
IBUS Interface for BMW cars

Basically, if you get a USB ibus interface, you plug the USB connector into your laptop (with the NavCoder software) & the other end of the cable you'll need to tap into a switched power wire, a ground wire, and the ibus wire. On my e39, I found all three in the trunk by the Nav. Switched power is usually a red wire with a white stripe, ground is always brown, and an ibus wire is yellow & white with grey dashes (if I recall correctly).
Thanks. I saw the Reslers I-Bus interface (noted it earlier in this thread). I am a bit leery of cutting into my electrical. I dont suppose you have a couple of shots of where you tapped in?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You don't have to actually cut into your wires.
Radio Shack sells "T-taps" that clamp down on your existing wire, while it also holds your new wire.
It makes a small cut into the existing wire to make contact with the braided wire part (same with the new wire).

They are also easy to take off if you don't like it, and a quick wrap or two with black electrical tape & you're as good as new.

But no, it was 3 easy wire taps, so I didn't bother to take any pictures.

I believe the 3 wire connector to your CD changer is made up of a power wire, a ground wire & the ibus wire.
If you just disconnect that connector from you CD changer (there are 2 connectors, the other is for audio & it has more than 3 wires) it would give you easy access to the 3 wires you could use to connect to a Resler interface cable.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
don't use the "t-taps", scotch locks or the like. The connection can become unreliable. better to buy the three MQS terminals and the 3pol. uncoded female connector from BMW or an electrical supplier (Newark/Element 14 does stock them) and plug it in at the CDC I-bus connection. If you have downloaded NavCoder it has a schematic for and interface that you can build for less than $10.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class="r11 i0">Universal pin terminal uncoded</TD> <TD class="r10 p1">3 POL.</TD> <TD class=r11>?</TD> <TD class=r10></TD> <TD class=r11></TD> <TD class=r10 noWrap>61136931929</TD> <TD class=r11 noWrap align=right>$2.00</TD> <TD class=r10></TD> <TD> <CENTER></CENTER></TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=r10> <TD class=r11 noWrap>only in conjunction with</TD> <TD class=r10> <TD colSpan=7></TD> <TR> <TD class=r00>--</TD> <TD class="r01 i0">Pin-contact</TD> <TD class="r00 p1">0,2- 0,5MM²</TD> <TD class=r01>?</TD> <TD class=r00></TD> <TD class=r01></TD> <TD class=r00 noWrap>61130005198</TD> <TD class=r01 noWrap align=right>$1.82</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I-Bus Interface

Here are some images of the I-Bus interface that I built. I have never had any issues including traffic collisions.

It has the connector mentioned above and plugs into the vehicle's harness at the CDC.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Complete I-bus interface with USB to serial cable

Connected to the Sirius I-bus cable (formerly the CDC)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet. There are a lot of threads I have now found on xoutpost.com in their navigation forum as well as on Bimmerforum and here. It seems that there is one trick that somehow sets it back and that is to load an earlier version and then re-install v31 or v32. Alternatively, you can get Navcoder, which I have done but still waiting on my interface from Resler.

There is another thing that I am going to try. That is to load the OEM v32 index "Y". I have order it from getbmwparts.com. My local says it is NLA. ECSTuning says it is NLA. getbmwparts.com shipped yesterday. I suggest that anyone who wants an original copy, order it now. I am afraid that the versions that are available online is for European market. Additionally, if you are downloading the version with splash screens, etc, who knows what you have really installed.

So back OEM for me. I will report back once I have it installed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't have any special splash screen. I'm also in the UK. I'm interested to hear how you get on as this issue has been bugging me ever since i bought the car! But thinking about it I did flash the nav to v32 pretty much as soon as i got the car!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
more info on the connectors please? i have th eNav coder by rolf reisling.
The connector and terminals are TE Connectivity (AMP) MQS (Multi Quad lock System). BMW part numbers are below.

don't use the "t-taps", scotch locks or the like. The connection can become unreliable. better to buy the three MQS terminals and the 3pol. uncoded female connector from BMW or an electrical supplier (Newark/Element 14 does stock them) and plug it in at the CDC I-bus connection. If you have downloaded NavCoder it has a schematic for and interface that you can build for less than $10.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class="r11 i0">Universal pin terminal uncoded</TD> <TD class="r10 p1">3 POL.</TD> <TD class=r11>?</TD> <TD class=r10></TD> <TD class=r11></TD> <TD class=r10 noWrap>61136931929</TD> <TD class=r11 noWrap align=right>$2.00</TD> <TD class=r10></TD> <TD> <CENTER></CENTER></TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=r10> <TD class=r11 noWrap>only in conjunction with</TD> <TD class=r10> <TD colSpan=7></TD> <TR> <TD class=r00>--</TD> <TD class="r01 i0">Pin-contact</TD> <TD class="r00 p1">0,2- 0,5MM²</TD> <TD class=r01>?</TD> <TD class=r00></TD> <TD class=r01></TD> <TD class=r00 noWrap>61130005198</TD> <TD class=r01 noWrap align=right>$1.82</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 20 of 55 Posts