BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed both thrust arms as supplied by EAC tuning today:

E39 Thrust Arms with HD bushings :: EAC Tuning

Nice in that new ball joints and Meyle HD ALL RUBBER bushes are already installed on the arms...SO getting the ball joints out was simply a matter of beating them out with a pickle fork...

The X5 bushings installed at about 50K actually had loose metal pieces that could be moved around when still installed...Think this was one of my rattles!

Car feels great! Tight and precise...I did re-torque the big end with the weight on the suspension (up on ramps) but no sand bags and the like in car...

Took 2 hours: Special tools 2 21 mm combo wrenches for big end of arm (not really special just big), 22 for ball joint, pickle fork and beater, ramps and jack/ and stands. I did all the work up on jackstands after running up the ramps to get the car up high enough to jack by the sub-frame (with blocks), and then put her back down on the ramps to do the final torquing and raplace the belly pan...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Just curious, what was the lead time on getting these? The EAC site mentions that the arms require extra shop time. I'm due up for thrust arm bushings, might as well just do the whole arms...

Cheers,
M

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They showed up pretty quick as I recall, within a week or so, i was actually surprised...They have been laying around for a while awaiting install...

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures of Failed X5 Bushing

Both were like this, the loose piece could be rattled by hand while still installed...I think this was (one of my) my rattle (sounded like a heat shield).

Actually now that i look carefully, I see that they both sort of 'twisted' out: A result of tightening everything with the suspension unloaded? They definitely look like their preferred neutral position would have been with the arms 'hanging'...Hmmm: The metallic piece in the middle appears to end up seized by the bracket attached to the front axle carrier, so when the suspension moves the rubber is stressed around the center metallic piece; It makes sense now why the big end is tightened with the weight on the wheels (i did this but not with extra weight as is specified...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So how are the Meyle bushings supposed to compare to the oem parts or the X5 bushings as fare as reliability?

I've got X5 bushings waiting to go in, but not arms and I'm sure my ball joints are tired. Their price for arms and bushings is only ~$25 more than I could get the arms (with stock bushings??) from Tischer ($150 each) and I've already paid for the X5's but could sell them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Those X5 bushing look bad. As you pointed out I would guess probably a result of not pre loading the suspension before tightening everything down.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Meyle HD bushings supposedly don't have the tasty candy center like the stock and X5 (?) bushings do. I really didn't look at them too hard as i didn't have much of a choice...The job is really pretty easy knowing that the ball joint is going way so no mechanical sympathy given in it's removal...I didn't even take the front wheels off...I could do this again in 2 hours tops.

PS. Trick for getting the big end out is turning the front wheels to get the steering gear away from the end of the bolt (it needs to slide fwd enough to allow the big end of the arm to drop out)...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tell the truth I drove it for about 15 minutes after completing the work and haven't touched it since: The car felt great, nice tracking, felt a bit tighter and the little rattle caused by the loose pieces was gone.

I am convinced that there is a placebo effect every time I work on her; Hell I swear it runs better after a good wash...

Shimmy on braking is definitely gone, to answer the question about ride quality, its much improved if what you mean by ride qulity is tightness and precise feeling...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently put the Meyle HD bushings in my M5 as well. I agree with Tortuga that the car tracks well with no more suspension geometry changes mid-turn like I was getting with my kaput stock bushings. It is hard to tell if they are noticeable firmer compared to a new stock bushing, I am really hoping that the payoff for this bushing is that it stays intact longer, so only time will tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts