BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone direct me to a link or DIY that clearly shows how to install OEM kidney grilles. I have replaced many grilles that are aftermarket and well they simply just snap in as all in 1 piece kept together or separated slats form outer rings it didn't seem to matter. The OEM factory ones have different retainer type clips that are very delicate and well you either find a set with clips all in tact or most of them have at least one broken clip for sure. I just purchased a painted Alpine White outer rings and black slats that are OEM BMW grilles with the factory delicate clips. Well i want to install these the right way and don't want to break any clips. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bought aftermarket carbon ones from a vendor on this board. They came with no installation instructions so I simply reversed the process of how I removed the original ones. I seperated the new grills and half the clips broke, I glued the broken clips back together and continued to instal them as 2 pieces but the clips that did not break upon seperating then broke, total nightmare, after some discussion with the supplier he informed me that they are designed to be pushed in as one piece from the front, great if only I had know that from the start I would not have tried to seperate them. I advised him to include a one page assembly guide in future, not sure if he bothered.......

I fixed the second set of broken clips and pushed them in as one piece from the front, they did fit better this way, although by now I had lost the will to live and wished I had not bothered. They don't fit exactly like OEM, but from a few feet away they look better than the chrome ones...........

So, if I were doing this again it would be no seperating and push in from front as one piece...............

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts