BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Re: Would this work in our E39 M5?

No idea, but why would you want one in a manual car ?

Alternatively, since the Instrument Cluster has the standard LCD fitted that will include the gear slection lights for other automatic BMWs there *may* (and this is stretching things somewhat) be a way to turn that back on, presuming of corse BMW wire in the manual gear boxes as they do the autos.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
Re: Would this work in our E39 M5?

It probably would work, apart from the neutral indicator.

If you have either Nav or RDC (tire pressure control) installed you can easily get the speed pulse. Getting an RPM pulse is a little more tricky.

There is supposed to be an RPM signal available at the round diganostic connector in the engine compartment.

I have searched for an RPM pickup point inside the passenger compartment, but not found one.

(The RPM signal to the instrument cluster is via a data-bus.)

Further, I don´t think there is a "Neutral" switch on these gearboxes, just a "Reverse" switch.

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
All the data you need should come off the OBD2 bus, but the unit you picked probably wont understand the data. There are also GPS-based data acquisition systems that will do the same thing, are portable, and do not require hardwiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Anybody figure out how this works?

Here is my take- it is not a position indicator, but just a division chip: it takes road speed and engine speed and determines what the gear must be.

I suspect that without a neutral signal, you can roll along at 50 and change the engine rpm, dwell for a second or two at certain rpm, and make the display change 2,3,4,5,6...

it will NOT help with missing shifts....

If your brain cannot do this innately, you ought not to be driving a manual...

my 2 cents.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ard said:
Anybody figure out how this works?

Here is my take- it is not a position indicator, but just a division chip: it takes road speed and engine speed and determines what the gear must be.

I suspect that without a neutral signal, you can roll along at 50 and change the engine rpm, dwell for a second or two at certain rpm, and make the display change 2,3,4,5,6...

it will NOT help with missing shifts....

If your brain cannot do this innately, you ought not to be driving a manual...

my 2 cents.

A
Heres my 98c- so why bother answering then? It was just a question, once in a while I am not sure if I am in 3rd or 5th, 4th or 6th, after all the new M5 has the info on the hud and the dash, is there a way to program the comp to show it on the dash? I would like to take that not too sure instance out of the equation.
WillM5AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
The E60 (and other SMG- or SMG-like cars) have an indicator on the dash because the transmission is electronically shifted via shift paddles. There is no other way to tell, at a stop for example, what gear you're in.

The E39, on the other hand, has a genuine good old fashioned shift lever that is actually (believe it or not) mechanically connected to the transmission. The lever is in a different physical position for every gear and neutral. Wanna know what gear you're in? Look at the gear lever. Works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
greg said:
The E60 (and other SMG- or SMG-like cars) have an indicator on the dash because the transmission is electronically shifted via shift paddles. There is no other way to tell, at a stop for example, what gear you're in.

The E39, on the other hand, has a genuine good old fashioned shift lever that is actually (believe it or not) mechanically connected to the transmission. The lever is in a different physical position for every gear and neutral. Wanna know what gear you're in? Look at the gear lever. Works for me.
Thanks for stating the obvious greg appreciate it, just asking a simple question out of interest, didnt require blatant sarcasmm is that the way it goes on here these days? No problems we can all be rude, but some people answer respectfully others just keep their opinions to themselves. Thanks DavidS and Stumbo for your constructive responses.
btw I am english so manual is the norm for me.
WillM5AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ard said:
Anybody figure out how this works?

Here is my take- it is not a position indicator, but just a division chip: it takes road speed and engine speed and determines what the gear must be.

I suspect that without a neutral signal, you can roll along at 50 and change the engine rpm, dwell for a second or two at certain rpm, and make the display change 2,3,4,5,6...

it will NOT help with missing shifts....

If your brain cannot do this innately, you ought not to be driving a manual...

my 2 cents.

A
Correct me if wrong, but his first posts states he had "given the go-ahead" ...

Only question was upgrading the brake 'drums'


If I had such limited choices for service here in the US, I don't...


Do I know you ARD? This is the second time you have had a skit at me recently, do we have an issue? I certainly dont think so but you can correct me if I am wrong please.
WillM5AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
willm5ad said:
Heres my 98c- so why bother answering then? It was just a question, once in a while I am not sure if I am in 3rd or 5th, 4th or 6th, after all the new M5 has the info on the hud and the dash, is there a way to program the comp to show it on the dash? I would like to take that not too sure instance out of the equation.
WillM5AD
Will-

Don't take it the wrong way- Perhaps I was being too snippy...I

This is not a swipe at you for asking about one of many interesting products, but a swipe at the product design itself. If you have to let out the clutch and wait while the electronics compute the gear from engine speed and road speed, it doesn't help with missed shifts- that's all I'm getting at.

The comment about the brain learning this was directed to folks that are new to manuals or relearning them- after a while it becomes second nature. But I agree I could have been more 'diplomatic'.. (The John Bolton school of post etiquette)

:)

A

PS On the other post you excerpted out, I stand by that- as written the only question you asked was brake rotors! My reply back then was simply pointing out to the many replies that based on the original post it was a done deal... of course, that was not true and you corrected the thread to state you'd mis-typed.

And I followed up with a light hearted reply!

Anyway, we've got no issues. Happy M-ing

willm5ad said:
So I have to have the work done, not much change from $20,000 in total given the go-ahead and just trying to work out if I can keep it from the wife.
Any ideas for uprated brake drums or should I just stick with replacing the originals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ard said:
Will-

Don't take it the wrong way- Perhaps I was being too snippy...I

This is not a swipe at you for asking about one of many interesting products, but a swipe at the product design itself. If you have to let out the clutch and wait while the electronics compute the gear from engine speed and road speed, it doesn't help with missed shifts- that's all I'm getting at.

The comment about the brain learning this was directed to folks that are new to manuals or relearning them- after a while it becomes second nature. But I agree I could have been more 'diplomatic'.. (The John Bolton school of post etiquette)

:)

A

PS On the other post you excerpted out, I stand by that- as written the only question you asked was brake rotors! My reply back then was simply pointing out to the many replies that based on the original post it was a done deal... of course, that was not true and you corrected the thread to state you'd mis-typed.

And I followed up with a light hearted reply!

Anyway, we've got no issues. Happy M-ing
Thanks Ard for putting it straight appreciate your reply.
Was waiting for....... "Maybe this is the reason his gearbox just been replaced...".:) .
BMW say they found a weld in the gearbox which would explain my gearbox replacement, must have been a good weld as I have had the car for a year.
Cheers
WillM5AD
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
Will,

A weld in the gear-box? That I have never heard of before... You don´t happen to have a picture, do you?

What on earth have they done to that car before selling it to you?

My speculations on what might have transpired:
Perhaps hit a rock and cracked the gearbox housing. Then leaking the gearbox oil. After a while noticing it shifts bad and sounds weird. Looked under car found cracked gearbox. Not wanting to tell the Big Boss Sheik, so they went to a mechanic who fixed the gearbox housing, put new oil in.
Then sold the car...

Good news is, once you put a new gearbox it, it will be back to perfection.

Best Regs,

David
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top