BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
10,455 Posts
I was quoted $850 for inspection 2, but ended up doing it myself for about $150 in parts from the dealer, and about 2 hours of my time bonding with the car... lovelove
Mike

·
Registered
661 Posts
Getting Inspection I and II done by the dealer is the biggest rip-off ever. i did Inspection II myself and just spent about $200 for parts and 2 hours on a weekend. So i guess I made over $300/hr :)

·
10,455 Posts
dmz said:
Getting Inspection I and II done by the dealer is the biggest rip-off ever. i did Inspection II myself and just spent about $200 for parts and 2 hours on a weekend. So i guess I made over $300/hr :)
I mostly agree, the independant shops around the bay area aren't much cheaper, i was quoted $700 for an inspection 2 on my 528! I do occasionally bring the car to the dealer for services (oilservice mostly) just to keep a little goodwill going while i'm under cpo warranty. It's been worth the cost in my case. But when we're talking near $1k, that could pay for something fun, i'd rather spend it elsewhere, and know the job is being done with a little more care. Every notice things not tightened correctly/hanging in the engine compartment after a dealer job!?
Mike

·
Registered
214 Posts
OKAY Ladies...I found my receipt....

Inspection 2..at least mine..

Filter element
Oil
Air filter inserts
spk plugss
wipers
brake fluid (complete change)
antifreeze
fuel add
diff oil (complete change)

Now that I am looking at the sheet, I'm getting PO'd.

I thought the following were part of "inspection 2"

changed AC belt $154.19
M Mobiltiy kit $30.80
Coolant flush $99.95 why did I pay above?
manual trans fluid change $94.08

In addition..my "guibo was replaced...warranty, stripped oil pan...$609.21...NAV change...85.00 (?)...a few emergency parts $40 bucks......first aid kit...$28.60......all books..$75.56....turned off audibel beep$85.00.....diff oil...?...new air temp sensor and cover $189.71...new valet keys..too much...

Jesus...Over 2 grand for my first visit...maybe I should pay more attention to the Visa bill.

Hope this helps???

KCD

m5.individual said:
How much do you guys pay for the Inspection I and II on your M5:s?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the answears! Maybe I can do a lot of things by myself. Almost everything in the Inspections.

Next question: When I´m doing the work by myself and buying the parts from BMW, how do you guys think that affect the value of the car? :confused2

·
Registered
635 Posts
What is the difference between the I and II. At what mileage or what is the time frame we should get either of these inspections done.

If we do it ourselves, How does it affect our CPO warranty. TIA

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
FREE

Under warrenty.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jayson,

Free with the CPO or free with the full maintence warranty? I believe my maintence warranty is expired.

Regards,

Marion
Jayson said:
FREE

Under warrenty.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
m5.individual said:
How much do you guys pay for the Inspection I and II on your M5:s?
Inspection I: $460 including tax from an independent shop. They told me $400 before they did the work. I always forget to get a written quote before any work is done. The dealer was about $450. It's just a stupid inspection that you could do yourself if you had a hoist.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Mvious said:
Jayson,

Free with the CPO or free with the full maintence warranty? I believe my maintence warranty is expired.

Regards,

Marion
Full warrenty from the factory. I got my car new. If yours is experied you can get the extended warrenty and then its covered just like it was.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Mvious said:
What is the difference between the I and II. At what mileage or what is the time frame we should get either of these inspections done.

Regards,

Marion
Here is the minimum per the owners service/maintenance guide (for 2003):

Inspection I:

Actual Tasks:
Change Oil and Filter
Read diagnostic Codes ; Clear Service Interval
Road Test

Check and/or Inspect:
Transmission for Leaks
Rear Axle for leaks
Half Shafts; leaks at Flexible Boots
Fuel Tank and Lines for leaks
Exhaust system
Power Steering for leaks; Top off fluid
Steering for Play, Suspension
Check Brake Pad Thickness
Brake System for leaks
Parking Brake actuation
Tire pressure, wear pattern, tread
Body panels for rust through
Coolant system for leaks; top off
Brake Fluid Level; top off
Windshield washer level; top off
Air conditioner operation
Replace Microfilters
Battery Charge
Light system operation
Instrument panel and dash illumination
Turn signals, flashers, etc
Wipers and washers
Safety Belts
SRS Airbag covers
Central locking
Latch Operation
Heater/air blower, rear defogger
Rear view mirrors

Inspection II

All in I, PLUS:

Replace Air Cleaner Elements
Replace Spark Plugs

Brake Fluid: replace every 2 years
Coolant: Replace Every 3 years
Oxygen sensor: Replace 100k miles
M-Mobilit: replace every 3 years

As you can see there is maybe two hours of work in an inspection I- most likely more if you need to use a jack (no lift). The majority of the 'check and inspections' can me done by a driver (ie do the lights work, dash OK?, tire pressure? brake fluid? latches work? etc, etc)

It is illegal for anyone to fail to honor a warranty due to WHO does a maintenance task. Keep good records: Take notes- best use a bound book with dates, comments, etc, etc. Save receipts with puirchase records of maintenance items (oil, filters, etc) I've never had an issue.

A

PS If I was paying for an AC inspection, I would want to know ambient temp as well as inlet and outlet temps. Anyone want to bet how most dealers inspect AC? My point is that a simple "blowing cold" assessment is probably OK, and likely what they perform, but they charge based on a 'performance diagnosic check'....

·
Registered
95 Posts
After 16 months of ownership I just turned 10,000 miles. I've still got 2 green blocks left so I'll probably not get ins. 2 under my warranty. Maybe ins. 1 in a year or so? So, where do I go to find out what's included in these inspections anyway? I don't remember a maintenance schedule in the manual.
Thanks, James.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
JamesB said:
After 16 months of ownership I just turned 10,000 miles. I've still got 2 green blocks left so I'll probably not get ins. 2 under my warranty. Maybe ins. 1 in a year or so? So, where do I go to find out what's included in these inspections anyway? I don't remember a maintenance schedule in the manual.
Thanks, James.
Open up the owners book, everything is listed there.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I believe I will do a partial inspection II myself and leave a few things for the dealer. This would probably be the best of both worlds. Lets see, the dealer would take care of flushing the radiator and coolant replacement, differential oil R&R and adjust parking brake.

The rest I have already done or can do myself with time and parts. Besides, not everything (parts) needs replacing that they suggest in inspection II at this time. The plugs are probably good for at least 60,000 miles and I only have 44k miles. The wipers are ok as well as the belts.

I have only the yellow block left, but at 44k miles I will let common sense also play a role here.

Mark

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Mvious said:

Regards,

Marion
Inspection I every 15k interval; Inspection II every 30k interval; oil service every 7,500miles (optional) These are "words of wisdom" in an e-mail I received from BMWNA recently:typing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts