BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luckily, I had no choice but to take a second look as they sent me two driver's side arms, but they're sorting that out.

So, if you get the arms, make sure the bushing is installed correctly. They are still having issues with their QC. On the M5 bushing, not the X5, the orange bit points towards the ball joint with the slot pointing away which I confirmed with their people over the phone. I installed the good one with no problems, and I'll be getting a replacement for this one next week they say.

Other than the inconvenience of getting one wrong part with the bushing in it backwards, a good deal.

I also included two pics of my old torn clunky driver's side bushing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yes there have been a couple issues with parts from there.
I have bushings that moved in the arm, eight small welds and they work fine.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Luckily, I had no choice but to take a second look as they sent me two driver's side arms, but they're sorting that out.

So, if you get the arms, make sure the bushing is installed correctly. They are still having issues with their QC. On the M5 bushing, not the X5, the orange bit points towards the ball joint with the slot pointing away which I confirmed with their people over the phone. I installed the good one with no problems, and I'll be getting a replacement for this one next week they say.

Other than the inconvenience of getting one wrong part with the bushing in it backwards, a good deal.

I also included two pics of my old torn clunky driver's side bushing.
I think the situation is worse than that. IMO, the M5 and X5 bushings should not use opposite orientation. The X5 and M5 suspensions are similar except for the fact that the X5 thrust arm becomes a tension arm under engine load. The orange piece is strictly an X5 engine drive tension loading puck that provides no function for rear wheel drive M5. Turning the bushing around 180 degrees to use the orange tension load hardware for compression braking load is suspicious to say the least.

You can be sure Vines has some high school trained tech scratching his head on this one and trying to satisfy you on the phone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am needing to change these. Drivers side making a little noise. Newbie question. Is there some reason not to go with the OEM replacment. Is there a better option?

Thanks.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the wait

I went with the Vines parts because they're cheaper, and pre assembled. I was thinking about pressing out the bushings myself, but I didn't have a fitting large enough to get the old one out, and the new one in without wrecking it. The Vines replacement seems like a good choic in that respect. If you're dedicated to BMW parts, go spend the money to get the bushings (cheap) and get the work done at the $tealership (expensive). It's a cheaper and more fulfilling alternative to do it youself, so that's what I went for. I've heard of people going with the X5 bushing, but it would still have to be pressed out and back in, unless Vines or someone has a pre-built arm. I've pressed out bearings and bushings in the past and was not a fan, and to see a pre-built arm was great news for me. If you know of a good shop though, have them do the whole job, or at least have them press out the bushings after you removed them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am needing to change these. Drivers side making a little noise. Newbie question. Is there some reason not to go with the OEM replacment. Is there a better option?

Thanks
I've had the Vines arm in for about 28k miles now, along with new OE LCA's. Just recently I've gotten some noise again that sounds very familiar. The car is going in for an alignment in a few weeks and I'll check the bushings at that time, but for the moment take this FWIW. If the Vines arms are the culprit I'll be looking for another non-OE, non-Vines solution re. the thrust arms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok Thanks guys ! Im in a unique postion to get employee cost on parts and plenty of OEM maintenance at a reduced rate. Just want to put the best equipment in. If there is a better option "Mechanicly", I want to use it.
Thanks again !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts