BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i was all excited to install my new angel eyes.. When i removed the circular access cover behing the light i found most of the wiring with heat damage and the insulation crumbling.

So i tapped the areas i could and now my passenger side OEM angel eye is off. :( Im going to take the car to the dealership tomorrow, hopefully this wiring issue is covered under the carmax maxcare, its kind of ridiculous that bmw used this cheap *** wiring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is actually very common for the E60 that reside in hot climate areas. Whenever I receive headlights from Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. I always expect the insulation to be messed up, or crumble away when I touch it.

I kind of doubt the dealership will replace it. The best thing for you to do, is to insulate it yourself with liquid tape. I would choose liquid tape over electrical tape since the heat can alter the tape over time as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man that sucks. The insulation is really crumbling on the harder to reach areas.

Ill try to get them to fix it. If they dont budge ill hit it with some liquid tape and hope the light comes back on.

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
If it were me, I would rewire with 18AWG Tefzel. Solder and heat shrink connections.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh man that sucks. The insulation is really crumbling on the harder to reach areas.

Ill try to get them to fix it. If they dont budge ill hit it with some liquid tape and hope the light comes back on.

Thanks

It probably shorted and popped a fuse which is why it won't come back on. Fix the issue and replace fuse. I'm just guessing that there is a fuse as I'm relatively new to this vehicle as well .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes. It's probably the wires are still touching.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol so my angel eye decided to work when i was showing it to the SA. He said they will take care of it under the max care warranty. Gonna drop it off tomorrow morning, woot woot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The car ECU noticed the wire was disconnected from that bulb, which means until you disconnect the battery or reset the error, it will not send current to that bulb.
So if it already works again, perfect; and if it happens again, next time you know just disconnecting the battery a few minutes will reset that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to update.

Car has been in carmax for 3 days, there was a war between carmax and their insurance, finally the insurance decided to cover the repair. They are going to replace both of the headlights ($2100). Also I had a water leak on the backseat, they are going to remove the headliner to clean the sunroof drains. I dont have to pay for anything, so far so good.

Only downside to this is that im driving a POS ford fiesta. :/

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just wanted to update.

Car has been in carmax for 3 days, there was a war between carmax and their insurance, finally the insurance decided to cover the repair. They are going to replace both of the headlights ($2100). Also I had a water leak on the backseat, they are going to remove the headliner to clean the sunroof drains. I dont have to pay for anything, so far so good.

Only downside to this is that im driving a POS ford fiesta. :/

Yeah, MaxCare is actually pretty decent. My wife and I had it on her 2004 Cayenne S and they paid for EVERY repair no matter what. We always took the pepper to our closest Porsche dealer as well. Never had an issue even though the Porsche labor rate was higher than MaxCare is supposed to pay. I would have bought my M from Carmax but their prices were consistently 3-4k over the value. Well, that and the fact they lowballed us on the trade offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts