BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so whether work was done by your mechanic or someone with a previous owner always give the car a detailed look over. here is one example:

whoever removed the prop shaft at some point beat the nuts off of it (im guessing they were seized). this actually i can understand, but why someone would put the same destroyed nuts back on is beyond me! :Thumbdown:

i replaced all of them with shiny new ones from the bmw parts bin :)

sure this was not much of a safety or performance issue but imagine trying to get them off years from now when its seized grrrrrrr

another thing i noticed (sorry no pic) is that when the diff was replaced they were too lazy to remove the exhaust and now its has a dent in it, have to replace the pipes back there :mad:

·
Registered
470 Posts
That is unfortunate. I can understand not wanting to take the exhaust off. It took me 2 hours to get the exhaust off of my M5 in one piece when I did my clutch, and I had 5 people helping.

I would also say from experience, those nuts are hard to get off, I think they are torqued to 140 ft-lbs if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The CV Joint nut torque is no where near 140 lb/ft. They just feel that way as they are PTNs (Prevailing Torque Nut). This mean that they are a proper bast*rd to remove and re-install. Also, they should not be reused (not saying that you cannot just not supposed to).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hey atleast they were tight!

When I bought my car, off this forum granted you, the owner failed to mention the destroyed front differential bushing and tremendous clunking going on! No big deal though! So when I went under the rear diff to install the new bushing, I saw that HALF the bolts holding the drive axles to the diff flanges were missing and the other half were finger tight loose!

How those axles didnt come loose hitting 120+mph on the way home, only God knows! I really didnt expect that when buying a 61k miles M5.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ridiculous what you can find, especially on a care that requires care and attention. im just glad none of this has caused serious issues ... yet

@pizzaman09

as for the exhaust i looked and you can disconnect it fairly close to the diff, it slides out fairly easily. with the clutch thats another story though :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts