BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked like a charm! Takes a few minutes for the system to choke down all those files, but it's nice to have just one disk with a massive music collection on it.

I hope that helps someone out there who didn't know.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Worked like a charm! Takes a few minutes for the system to choke down all those files, but it's nice to have just one disk with a massive music collection on it.

What software did you use? I tried that in an '06 650i. It played MP3 CDs fine but not an MP3 DVD. I have since switched to an iPod. 1600 songs on an 8GB nano for the new 550i.

·
1,764 Posts

Thanks, but this is old news. See August 2006 post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=833462&highlight=MP3+DVD#post833462

I agree with Richard in NC, the ipod is still a lot better solution.

Richard in NC, I have used itunes to build both CD and DVD MP3 discs and they work great in many different BMWs - both CD player and DVD Nav.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the iPod is the best solution, but that is like 700 bucks to set up, since mine did not come with it.
So the DVD solution is a free solution for now.

Is there a cheaper way to get the Ipod set kit up?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I agree the iPod is the best solution, but that is like 700 bucks to set up, since mine did not come with it.
So the DVD solution is a free solution for now.

Is there a cheaper way to get the Ipod set kit up?
I think the new 8GB nano is $199. The proper module (for an '06 M5) is about $250 from EAS and others. It can be self installed if you already have a changer. Although, BMW could hit you for another $200 if you have to take the car in for a SW upgrade, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the new 8GB nano is $199. The proper module (for an '06 M5) is about $250 from EAS and others. It can be self installed if you already have a changer. Although, BMW could hit you for another $200 if you have to take the car in for a SW upgrade, etc.
I have like 3 ipods, keep getting the new ones!

I just need to swap out the CD changer. Do you have a link for EAS?

·
1,764 Posts
Here's BMW's install instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
1,764 Posts
Thanks! Those instructions may come in handy if I can find a deal on the kit...
Almost any parts department at most good dealers will give you at least 10% off the retail, some do a lot better. It's a good thing if you a good relationship with your dealer's employees!

cherrsagai

·
Registered
939 Posts

Just curious does the E60 use the same MKIV DVD unit that the E39 does?

I am just trying to figure if it were even possible before I went through the process of creating a mega DVD like you did.

Also, with 1000 songs, does the E60 software catalog each song for you like I imagine an IPOD would? You must have one heck of a memory to remember all of those tracks. :hihihi:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered the iPod kit, thanks for the link!

The software cab browse through folders, so I just organized it by band.

FYI MP3 only works, no other song file format will work...

·
1,764 Posts
Just curious does the E60 use the same MKIV DVD unit that the E39 does?

I am just trying to figure if it were even possible before I went through the process of creating a mega DVD like you did.

Also, with 1000 songs, does the E60 software catalog each song for you like I imagine an IPOD would? You must have one heck of a memory to remember all of those tracks. :hihihi:
I had an E39 M5 with the DVD MKIV and it was a large DVD player in the trunk. The E60 and E63 Nav DVD player is a slim player in the dash, so they are not the same.

On the DVD with MP3s, if you create the disc correctly you get the name of the songs on the Nav screen.

On the Ipod interface you get all the catalogs that are normally done by an ipod, except that it is listed under the 6 CDs catagories that would normally be in a changer. i.e. when you go to CD3 in the changer you get all the songs by genre, CD4 you get them listed by artists etc....

cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
With the IPod, it can play AAC, or MP3. I believe purchased protected tracks are only AAC but play just fine.

If I recall with the EAS adapter (sourced from BMW but cheaper), CD1 shows playlists, CD2 artists, CD3 genres, etc. If you keep the IPod in the car, it will remember where you are at in a playlist.

The other good side, even though you loose the changer, you still have full use of the CD & DVD slots.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had mp3 files on a normal CD (CD-R) and when i tried it in the DVD slot it never worked, so if i have the mp3 files on a DVD it will sure work ??!

I tried the mp3 CD in the cayenne Turbo and it worked !

·
1,764 Posts
I had mp3 files on a normal CD (CD-R) and when i tried it in the DVD slot it never worked, so if i have the mp3 files on a DVD it will sure work ??!

I tried the mp3 CD in the cayenne Turbo and it worked !
A CD with MP3 files works perfectly in the CD player! (The single unit not the changer).

Be careful making a CD with MP3 files, I use iTunes and it works best, as iTune also puts the correct Text if you loaded iTunes with Artist and Genre, Album etc. iTunes lets you burn either a regular CD or a MP3 Cd.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
258 Posts
A CD with MP3 files works perfectly in the CD player! (The single unit not the changer).

Be careful making a CD with MP3 files, I use iTunes and it works best, as iTune also puts the correct Text if you loaded iTunes with Artist and Genre, Album etc. iTunes lets you burn either a regular CD or a MP3 Cd.

cherrsagai
I did try playing it in the single unit but unfortunatley it never worked, I thought something was wrong with the CD but when i tried it on the 997 turbo & 650i it did work ! Do you think this issue could be solved by a software update ?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did try playing it in the single unit but unfortunatley it never worked, I thought something was wrong with the CD but when i tried it on the 997 turbo & 650i it did work ! Do you think this issue could be solved by a software update ?!
You have to put it in the DVD nav slot, that is the only one that will read MP3's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts