BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my old motorola phone that sits in the armrest with a Bluetooth setup. Consequently, I don't need the phone and cradle in the center armrest - and would like to replace them with something else. Does the M5 have an alternate armrest insert? Is it retrofittable and if so, what does it look like and what's the product code? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
GGarai, check out www.bmwtips.com , look under the INTERIOR section you will see a link for euro armrest conversion, (# 6)
In this you can see part numbers for stock armrests and the euro ones, maybe just convert to the euro. It slides and flips up too...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you give me better link - when I click on one you suggested, there is no Interior section. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
first click tips and tricks, interiors is under that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can order just a blank insert that will snap into the armrest. The blank has a rubber-lined slot but no markings/phone hook ups.

To properly remove the insert that accepts your phone, you will have to R & R the whole sliding armrest, which is easy:

1. On the rear of the center console, below the rear seat vents there is either a small storage compartment or rear cupholders. Either way it will pull out. Actually pull up & out, they snap in at the sides. It's a hard pull but it will pop out.

2. Move the rear seat vent assembly down about 1". They will be loose now and easily slide down revealing two screws.

3. Remove the two philips head screws that appear behind the vents at the very top near the armrest

4. Lift the whole armrest up & aft and you can take it out of the car.

... Now you can flip the armrest over and look inside two holes... toward the front of the armrest, from underneath, there are two holes that reveal two little black plastic clip that is holding your phone cradle. These plastic clips hold the phone cradle in at its sides toward the front. With a small flathead screwdriver you can move the plastic clip "out" (toward the outside edge of the armrest) while trying to pull the phone cradle out of the armrest. It should "pop" then you can do the other side.

The blank slot will snap right into the armrest, which can be installed by reversing the above steps.

Hope this helps...

Paul

·
10,455 Posts
you can also get an adapter to put your bluetooth phone in the same place. It will charge and can use the external antenna while it is docked. Check with your dealer for supported phones.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Paul,

Is that insert a BMW factory part? Would you have a part number by chance?

Thanks for this info,
Bill

pkarmouche said:
You can order just a blank insert that will snap into the armrest. The blank has a rubber-lined slot but no markings/phone hook ups.

To properly remove the insert that accepts your phone, you will have to R & R the whole sliding armrest, which is easy:

1. On the rear of the center console, below the rear seat vents there is either a small storage compartment or rear cupholders. Either way it will pull out. Actually pull up & out, they snap in at the sides. It's a hard pull but it will pop out.

2. Move the rear seat vent assembly down about 1". They will be loose now and easily slide down revealing two screws.

3. Remove the two philips head screws that appear behind the vents at the very top near the armrest

4. Lift the whole armrest up & aft and you can take it out of the car.

... Now you can flip the armrest over and look inside two holes... toward the front of the armrest, from underneath, there are two holes that reveal two little black plastic clip that is holding your phone cradle. These plastic clips hold the phone cradle in at its sides toward the front. With a small flathead screwdriver you can move the plastic clip "out" (toward the outside edge of the armrest) while trying to pull the phone cradle out of the armrest. It should "pop" then you can do the other side.

The blank slot will snap right into the armrest, which can be installed by reversing the above steps.

Hope this helps...

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
SouthshoreM5 said:
Paul,

Is that insert a BMW factory part? Would you have a part number by chance?

Thanks for this info,
Bill
BMW part# appears to be: 51-16-8-215-943. I paid $21.06 (I think that's a retail price)...

By the way, courtesy of the BMWtips page mentioned above I also replaced the ashtray with a blank storage compartment part# 51-16-8-159-695 was $9.80.

Paul

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks Paul!

pkarmouche said:
BMW part# appears to be: 51-16-8-215-943. I paid $21.06 (I think that's a retail price)...

By the way, courtesy of the BMWtips page mentioned above I also replaced the ashtray with a blank storage compartment part# 51-16-8-159-695 was $9.80.

Paul

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Re: Using the European armrest in M5 - different leather

The M5 has Napa leather and the European armrest is Montana. Has anyone seen how that works together? I have a black interior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts