BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
My PLCD reading is around 190 hot and 200 cold, does this mean my clutch is worn out and chances to pass adaptation is low?

·
Registered
564 Posts
OK, here:

E60 -> SMG -> F6 -> F4 -> F4

F5

F2 (bleed slave) -> F9 and wait to finish. Repeat this 3-5 times

F2

F3 (bleed actuator) -F9 and wait to finish. Repeat 3-5 times

F3

F6 (adapt clutch valve characteristic curve) -> F9 and wait to finish

F6

F5 (adapt actuator block) -F9 and wait to finish

F5

Start engine

F7 -> F9 and ok, then wait to finish

Press start/stop 3 times to turn engine off and ignition back on and save adaptation.
How do i get adaptations to save ? Press Start Stop Button 3 times each way ? Start engine each time ? OR ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Desperate for some help with the same issue. I just took my car back from an indy after having the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder replaced. I also had a good (mechanically) used GETRAG unit put in with good sensor pack wiring after the car failed to do the learning procedures the first time.

During the whole process my car went back and forth from shop to dealer multiple times so the dealer could try to do the learning / programming procedures but they were unsuccessful. They said programming will never work with a used solenoid block (they called it E gear?) My question to those who have done this successfully is did you replace the GETRAG unit with a brand new one at $10k+ price tag or is that bs?

Current state of the car:
-runs, drives, and shifts normally!
-red transmission cog (4F67, 510E)

I have INPA and can get the car to run some of the tests as prescribed above, but I can't get any of them to finish without getting error codes that control unit is not responding. I can hear the car doing stuff during the tests (pump pumping, solenoids firing, gears shifting, etc) but cant get a successful result. Help!

Another thought is I may be using an older INPA version. Anyone have confirmed success after replacing clutch, flywheel, AND GETRAG controller?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I call the the top SMG block "Shifting block". The top shifting block is responsible to shift the gears whenever a hydraulic pressure applied to by the clutch valve solenoid. To verify if the shifting points, shifting solenoids, gear position sensor is calibrated properly, an adaptation called "transmission adaptation" must be performed and finish successfully. If this adaptation process failed you will have fault code 4F66.

The dealer statement is valuable only if the gear position sensor swapped from another shifting block as the gear position sensor is factory calibrated and matted with it's shifting block, if the swap happened then the shifting block may considered useless or may cause adaptation failure, this is not your case as you installed a complete shifting block with it's gear position sensor.

The faults 4F67 and 510E are mainly related to the clutch actuation mechanism and control, it has nothing to do with shifting operation or control. The adaptation for this mechanism is called "Clutch Characteristics Curve" This process consist of clutch valve solenoid, clutch slave, clutch position sensor, and the clutch itself which includes release bearing, fork, pin, and sleeve.

if any component of the clutch mechanism is defective then it will cause fault 4F67.

Before to start troubleshooting this you must confirm that you already performed "Transmission Adaptation" with success. Next, I want you to perform the "Clutch Characteristics Curve" adaptation and when it fails a message will pop up click display and print the screen. Next, I need to see the slave travel, to do that you need to put ignition on, access SMG ECU>Status> "Analog 3" and print screen, then depress the brake pedal and print the screen. Next, perform bleeding of the clutch slave and shifting block at least 5+ times and verify you have full SMG oil between the bleeding process 2 times to make sure the fluid is there during the process, remember you need to reduce pressure by the software before any top off. Next perform the slave travel check again as described earlier and print screen. Post all the captured values and the failed adaptation message.

4F67 adaptation failure could be of not properly bled new slave or air in the system, leaking clutch valve solenoid, bad PLCD, defective or wrong installed clutch or clutch pressure plate (warped), bad release bearing and sleeve, defective or warped fork and damaged pin, and less common bad SMG ECU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi platii, thank you for your detailed response!

I call the the top SMG block "Shifting block". The top shifting block is responsible to shift the gears whenever a hydraulic pressure applied to by the clutch valve solenoid. To verify if the shifting points, shifting solenoids, gear position sensor is calibrated properly, an adaptation called "transmission adaptation" must be performed and finish successfully. If this adaptation process failed you will have fault code 4F66.
If I don't have 4F66 fault, should I still try the full transmission adaptation step? I have tried the INPA program F6->F7->F3 Komplettadaption which should be the full transmission program but can't make it through without getting the Error19: No response from control unit message.

That is a common theme through all the different programs I tried on jcolleys instructions. I can run parts of all the programs and hear the car doing things but I get no response pop-ups here and there. I also can't get

The dealer statement is valuable only if the gear position sensor swapped from another shifting block as the gear position sensor is factory calibrated and matted with it's shifting block, if the swap happened then the shifting block may considered useless or may cause adaptation failure, this is not your case as you installed a complete shifting block with it's gear position sensor.
I need to confirm this actually. That is great info to have and I need to confirm if the shop rewired my original gear position sensor or the used one. I know they put in the used shifting block which made a difference functionally, but they may have swapped in my original (rewired) gear position sensor since the work was already done. That could definitely be a problem

The faults 4F67 and 510E are mainly related to the clutch actuation mechanism and control, it has nothing to do with shifting operation or control. The adaptation for this mechanism is called "Clutch Characteristics Curve" This process consist of clutch valve solenoid, clutch slave, clutch position sensor, and the clutch itself which includes release bearing, fork, pin, and sleeve.

if any component of the clutch mechanism is defective then it will cause fault 4F67.

Before to start troubleshooting this you must confirm that you already performed "Transmission Adaptation" with success. Next, I want you to perform the "Clutch Characteristics Curve" adaptation and when it fails a message will pop up click display and print the screen. Next, I need to see the slave travel, to do that you need to put ignition on, access SMG ECU>Status> "Analog 3" and print screen, then depress the brake pedal and print the screen. Next, perform bleeding of the clutch slave and shifting block at least 5+ times and verify you have full SMG oil between the bleeding process 2 times to make sure the fluid is there during the process, remember you need to reduce pressure by the software before any top off. Next perform the slave travel check again as described earlier and print screen. Post all the captured values and the failed adaptation message.

4F67 adaptation failure could be of not properly bled new slave or air in the system, leaking clutch valve solenoid, bad PLCD, defective or wrong installed clutch or clutch pressure plate (warped), bad release bearing and sleeve, defective or warped fork and damaged pin, and less common bad SMG ECU.
I did the Analog 3 before and after pictures, but through the whole thing I have to keep saying yes to the no response from control unit messages. I do eventually get a usable live screen to work with.

At this point Ill confirm the wiring question and circle back to your instructions. Thanks again and do you think the INPA version could be too old?

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a short follow up, the indy says they did keep the shifting block / gear position sensor wiring together as a pair.

I have to assume that is correct for now

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The SMG ECU is finicky and the transmission of data with K-dcan cable is erratic that's why you get "No Response with ECU" message. To minimize this behavior you may consider getting good cable from bimmergeek and download their INPA version. You can download the software off their website for free and test again with your cable.

When no response from ECU message shows while viewing the data just click NO and press again the button to view the data. If that message appeared during a test or adaptation you can wait until that process ends the test will finish if it doesn't require further button pressing but you will not be able to know when it is finished, what was the end result, or monitor the progress. The possibility to view the end result is to access your computer files>C: EC-APPS>INPA>BIN>SMG_60 file. Any latest activity will be stored there.

The data you posted for Analog 3 shows your clutch slave travel is within limit for both main and redundant clutch position sensor (PLCD). I don't see the PLCD could stop the clutch characteristics value unless it has in intermittent problem and you can see that at Analog 3 values PLCD bar turns to gull green and a Yellow COG or Red if both tracks are malfunctioned. Delete the fault before proceeding below.

Perform the clutch characteristics value only by accessing the SMG ECU>Activation>GmbH>adapt>un circle any black dot by pressing the corresponding FX shift button and black circle the Clutch characteristics value and start the test individually. If no response message appeared just wait 5 minutes and access the your computer files as described earlier and post the SMG_60 content. Run also Gearbox adaptation individually and post result. When an adaptation process ends a pop up windows will ask you to display the result click display and print the screen. Access the adaptation stored data by going to Status>shift+F2 and print screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The SMG ECU is finicky and the transmission of data with K-dcan cable is erratic that's why you get "No Response with ECU" message. To minimize this behavior you may consider getting good cable from bimmergeek and download their INPA version. You can download the software off their website for free and test again with your cable.
I am going to get a new setup preinstalled from ebay, will the bimmergeeks pro cable be good enough or do these cars really need an ICOM setup?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Bimmergeek is sufficient to do diagnostic and programming SMG ECU, DME, or other small files programming ECU's. I have not tried it so I am not sure if it will eliminate SMG ECU going offline during using but I would expect to minimize it.

ICOM is good if you want to update big files ECU like the CIC or updating the whole car using ISTA-P, it is just the safest. I tested two branded cables but I still get SMG ECU goes offline so I start to think it's the ECU doesn't like the cables although they are flash updated, leaving the Bimmergeek pro cable with it's gold plated connection for you to find out.

I mainly use ISTA+ for testing or adapting the SMG ECU. I use INPA for quick fault reading and deleting codes, and viewing values on the go. ISTA is slower but has built-in repair manual, wiring diagram, and comprehensive tests for all the modules and testing plans for any fault. It is a must to have.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got the bimmergeek PRO cable and INPA does not recognize the Ignition ON state, and all SMG functions like adaptations and switching on pumps do not work, so switched back to my 20$ Chinese cable which works just fine for the last 10 years

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Most likely your software setup was not correct. If you used a cable the second cable will not be plug and play, you have to remove reinstall the cable driver and possibly assign different port. Yes if the ignition isn't recognized the function tests will not run, the software will think that you didn't turn on the ignition.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts