BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm planning to be in Stockholm for the coming New Years' Eve. I've booked a hotel already, but looking for some information from the locals on which bar/food establishments you'd recommend (and what I need to do to be able to get in) as presumably, booking in advance will be necessary.


Secondly, I'll be travelling around Sweden for the following week or so. I'd like to be able to go somewhere I'll be allowed to drive on ice (such as a frozen lake) and a semi-official facility might be best/safest/most educational. Location is not very important - although I'm in Jukkasjaervi on Jan 6.

Naturally I won't be in the M5, probably an Audi S4.

Hope you can help!

Cheers,
Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
AndyE said:
Hello all,

I'm planning to be in Stockholm for the coming New Years' Eve. I've booked a hotel already, but looking for some information from the locals on which bar/food establishments you'd recommend (and what I need to do to be able to get in) as presumably, booking in advance will be necessary.


Secondly, I'll be travelling around Sweden for the following week or so. I'd like to be able to go somewhere I'll be allowed to drive on ice (such as a frozen lake) and a semi-official facility might be best/safest/most educational. Location is not very important - although I'm in Jukkasjaervi on Jan 6.

Naturally I won't be in the M5, probably an Audi S4.

Hope you can help!

Cheers,
Andy
check www.stockholm.se
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Thomas, but I was looking for some insider information! I've read the majority of that website (and that's how I found my hotel!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
AndyE said:
Cheers Thomas, but I was looking for some insider information! I've read the majority of that website (and that's how I found my hotel!)
Hmm okay. Well there are in centrum of Stockholm some small streets full of bars and pubs. I would go there :cheers:
You cant miss them if you just to to centrum.

Or take a look at this link

http://www.wcities.com/en/cat/126/98/category.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also heard good things about Sturecompagniet, but my concern is the fact that it's New Years' Eve, and it might be necessary to buy tickets in advance (it is in the UK).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
AndyE said:
I've also heard good things about Sturecompagniet, but my concern is the fact that it's New Years' Eve, and it might be necessary to buy tickets in advance (it is in the UK).
Hmm I know what you mean. But I think that is the problem all over the world, when its new year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
AndyE said:
Exactly! And that's the insider information I need!!
Okay better to find a swede.. I am only living in Denmark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, before I did that, I was looking for any other suggestions of nice places to go. I expect a Swede who's been in Stockholm for a new year will know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I have also heard of a place called VIP Club.
That should be a hard core place as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,477 Posts
Worldsbestbars.com covered it quite good :)

Cafe Opera always works (Fridays), Sturecompagniet (Saturdays), Köket (right below Sturecompagniet (always works after 2 am :) ), Hotellet is good. Im not sure whats best on new years eve but try book a dinner in time if you should eat there.

You should not go to Skansen on new years eve night... Cold and off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
You can contact this company . They have different types of driving schools. One of the programs starts in Jukkasjaervi. It says on the webpage they you should contact them for information about dates.

Regarding Stockholm I also recommend Hotellet. Nice place to hang out and get a drink or two. If we are talking fine dinnig for New Years I would recommend "Edsbacka krog" a few miles out side the city. BonLoc is another nice place in the city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gustav and Redwings, very many thanks for the information.

I'll plan to visit Sturecompagniet and Hotellet at least - We will be in Stockholm for a little while, so plenty of scope.

I'll also investigate the active driving website. I look forward to trying to arrange some ice/snow driving to develop our winter driving abilities!!


Out of interest, I wrote Jukkasjaervi, guessing that you can replace the character å with 'ae', a bit like the Umlaut in German. Is that right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was using ae to save typing funny characters on my UK-spec keyboard! Without a numerical keypad (laptop) I can't use the Alt+Codes, and end up using Character Map!!

So can I replace å with ae if I'm typing, or shall I just write 'a'?

For example; Jukkasjårvi becomes Jukkasjaervi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Tell you what you should do when you go to Stockholm, check out that boat that they pulled up after about 300 hundred years, that had sunk in the harbour.

Its the one of the coolest things i've ever seen! Its in a museum/dry dock, that i stumbled into by accident! I completly forget what its called, but its well worth a look!


Dyl.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top