BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well of course I have looked/searched - and no recent evidence of anyone importing a M5 from Germany/euroland into the states...

AND it also goes without saying that there is official info out there - Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

BUT - if there are any personal experiences/recommendations... - it would be appreciated....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actualy a lot of people trying to bring some US cars to Europe, because they are cheaper. But in different countries there are different laws about exporting. Here we have to change front lights, radio and some other stuff also there is a lot of paper work and not every car dealer want to do that.
Just for info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The reason you're not finding much info is because, unlike some M models in the past, the Euro Spec M5 has no advantages over the US spec M5. However, I'm guessing you might be moving here and just want to keep your existing M5 when you move to the US? My suggestion, if that's the case, sell your M5 there and bring your strong Euro currency over to America and get an even better M5.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The reason you're not finding much info is because, unlike some M models in the past, the Euro Spec M5 has no advantages over the US spec M5. However, I'm guessing you might be moving here and just want to keep your existing M5 when you move to the US? My suggestion, if that's the case, sell your M5 there and bring your strong Euro currency over to America and get an even better M5.
that is a wise suggestion ... but I could see other reasons as of why he would want to go through the "hassle" of keeping his car and importing it to the U.S.

If you are searching in a car forum for this info, I think your are not looking in the right place... having experience with exporting / importing cars (from USA to Venezuela) I can tell you that the first thing you need to search / look for is a Courier in germany that has vast experience with exporting goods from germany to USA... and take it from there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If he's the car's only owner or it has extensive modifications (only compiling hoops to the certification process) I could understand. However, from what I know, the process can easily break $10k+.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Which state you are importing to makes a difference too. I have tried to figure out the best way to import 'exclusive' cars from Europe (like a Focus RS or a CSL for example) but importing and registering them through California is not worth it at the moment.

Exporting it from the source country is usually not that hard if you get the right shipping company like OJWerks suggests. They will handle all the paperwork. Registering it here means getting it past emissions and safety controls and that's where you hit the wall. So unless the car really means something to you I would say +1 to Meridian M5's comments - sell it and use those euros to get yourself a good deal here.

Now, if you have a heavily modified car you might have the option to import but not register for road use. There will still be red tape with that though.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
No major advantages, but there are many differences - in both options and the many details such as dashboard and armrest

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I wanted to look into it - to see what the options are...

Of course I know I could sell and buy one there - - however when you have a car for many years, and over service it, and know all the details and condition etc - - you have to weigh that against the unkown of another car etc...

It looks to be very expensive - - first feedback from a company;

Estimate: $7,800.00 plus any safety systems parts that are not in compliance with USDOT Standards, provided the vehicle has a functioning emissions system (new catalysts and 02 sensors USA) that specifically includes OBD (1990-1995) and OBD2 (After Jan 1, 1996) or additional emissions systems parts and testing will be necessary. In addition, USEPA requires a 1% Fee based on the declared value of the vehicle. US Customs charges 2.5% duty, and US Customs and USDOT have bonds that cost approximately 1% that must be paid upon entry into the USA.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Of course I know I could sell and buy one there - - however when you have a car for many years, and over service it, and know all the details and condition etc - - you have to weigh that against the unkown of another car etc...
If there's any place where someone could understand your feelings on that it's this place - myself included. A car has a similar place in my heart as a pet...you get very attached. If money was no object I'd import it in a second, but when you start talking $8k it gets very hard to justify. Are you stationed in Germany with the armed forces?

What are the specs on the car? mileage, options, etc.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If there's any place where someone could understand your feelings on that it's this place - myself included. A car has a similar place in my heart as a pet...you get very attached. If money was no object I'd import it in a second, but when you start talking $8k it gets very hard to justify. Are you stationed in Germany with the armed forces? What are the specs on the car? mileage, options, etc.

no - - but I do work for a large international organization...

as for the car, well it's a CB '99 with 108k km /67k miles on the clock - cherry/excellent condition, with eisenmann cans/lots of ACS bits /-carbon fiber etc etc etc, unblemished wheels, wonderful paint, over serviced etc...

So it can be very easy to spend 8k to get a car in the perfect shape you want it to be, but, most likely, I will sell, and then when I get to the US hunt for an original owner that wants his baby nurtured into retirement :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I recently purchased a one-owner, 24,000 mile Ti Silver 2000 M5 w/10/10 condition interior 9/10 paint, power sunshade package, split folding rear seats, etc. for well under $30k. So, you're going to get something pretty sweet when you come back. My advice: put your M5 back to stock and bring back the parts you want to use again and sell the rest.

Just bought some Eisenmann Race cans too. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW - another one;

The estimated cost to convert your vehicle to meet USDOT and USEPA standards is $16,000.00.

US Specs
121 Northway Drive
Havre de Grace, MD. 21078

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wish I had more details on the conversion for my car....

It was originally purchased here in Germany, then shipped to FL and converted. A few years later it made its way back to Germany.

Unfortunately, none of the paperwork from the PO reflects anything about the conversion, except for the Florida title...

·
Registered
83 Posts
the car must be 15 years old to get in usa and registered w/o problems, otherwise i would buy porsche for that money spent trying. individual can not do it , must be business approved by the government to certify specific vehicle , before the business received all the paperwork from government for all this kind of work they must buy couple of these cars and test them. i did read about some research of other people on different forums , a lot of people would like to bring supras , skylines , s15 nissans.... otherwise only use of this car is track or show
just my 2 cents ,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me know how you're going as I'm also trying to do the same.

Posted for any info about 3 months ago here, but didn't get the feedback I'd hoped for, in the sense that there wasn't anyone with firsthand experience of having done it.

I'll be relocating because of work and only reason I don't want to sell and buy in the US even though it makes sense is because they don't sell mine over there!

Have been in touch with shippers, tuners, BMW dealers and BMW USA and still can't get a definitive answer. Quotes range from 5k to over 30k!!!

Not giving up hope, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Will keep you in the loop Mark if have any breakthrough.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I would be hesitant about this

I know in this example they weren't converting it "properly" but there were instances recently of government agents cracking down and taking older generation Skylines off the road. That kind of turned me off to importing at all (even though I REALLY wanted a euro E36 M3). Even if done "right" I wouldnt want the chance that my car could be taken from me and never returned.

Seems cost-prohibitive to do to begin with

1 - 17 of 17 Posts