BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is info from Scott26, insider from BMW. I seen info from him before anyone else heard of it and all info I heard from him has always been correct. So its a big chance this is true.

414 bhp
Coupe , Sedan , Touring and Coupe - Cabrio body styles
Alluminium front end
innovative chassis design
SMG drivelogic 7 speed
Manual gearbox 6 speed
Carbon fibre roof ( Coupe only)
Magnesium components
Thermo plastic body parts.
Lighter high performance CSL

The next M3 as always will be the flagship of the 3er portfolio. And will be available as coupe, sedan and then a high performance touring version.
The reintroduction of a sedan and the introduction of a Touring was chosen because we realise we are losing customers who want the practicality . The logical choice would be Alpina but many defect to other manufacturers.

The next M3 will receive a high rev V8 evolved from the latest V10 - Basically two cylinders removed but no less spectacular.
due to increasing competition ,power up to 414BHP The next CSL will head into 500 BHP territory.
Specified , top speed could be unlimited up to 180 or 190mph. Six speed manual gearbox and optional Seven speed SMG. drivelogic.

The next M3 is all about progress - We upgrade the current car (E46) to todays requirements , add tweak here, more developments , new materials and remove some weight from there.

The Coupe is expected to follow the M6 with a carbon fibre roof however both a metal roof and carbon fibre have beeen tested to see which one emphasizes the cars capabilities. Carbon fibre won. As it will be positioned as the top M3 variant. More use of cabrbon fibre and composite plastic as seen with M6. Structure and chassis will benefit with use of alluminium for exceptional ride quality , rigidity and handling.

The next M3 is known as the 100%er
As a car especially a performance it can do no wrong - The appeal of the M3 will still be there but with the use of lightweight materials . This evolution will give a feel of nostalgia by mirroring past M3 achievements.

In giving a strong character and a driving experience like no other car on the market. Audi may have 420BHP RS4 - but they have 4.2 engine and quattro technology = weight penallty.

The next M3 will fully be seen in all body styles of the 3er E90 platform -
think of it as an M3 for all types of users. Sedan for the family , Coupe for the enthusiast , cabrio for the sunseekers and Touring for the capacity. All to known coupe-cabrio as 4er - BMW have now changed their mind and will develop a new 4er car from the ground up - What shape this is to be in is not known as yet.

Here is a nice picture I found

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure but 2006 sounds to early, probably 2007. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just_me said:
Im not sure but 2006 sounds to early, probably 2007. I could be wrong though.
Auto Motor und Sport also talks about early 2007 deliveries. Probably means a presentation in the second half of 2006 (Frankfurt or Paris?).

V8 414hp to 500hp in a 3-series body. Should be a real Porsche beater. Especially since BMW always offers their M3 at a very competitive price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder where it will fall in terms of weight. They did a good job of balancing the E90 3er out with weight and keeping a 50:50 balance, but with a big V8 up front, I wonder how they'll maintain this balance? Push the V8 further back in the engine bay so it sits behind/ right on the front axel?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hartge already put the V8 in the previous 3-series and just got away with it. Was a little nose-heavy though and much less forgiving to drive than a normal M3.
BMW will be using a modified version of the V10. Therefore the new V8 should be lighter than the V8 from the M5 E39. I guess the new engine shouldn't be much heavier than the current 6cyl. The engine will also be shorter so can be placed right against the fireboard. Should help weight-distribution and be good enough for 50:50.
Total weight shouldn't be bad also. Somehow BMW succeeds in keeping the weight-growth within acceptable limits when building a new model. As Just_me states the new M3 will use more composite materials and more aluminium than before, so should even be possible to have a weight reduction in standard form.
With BMW building the M5, M6 and soon the M3 they really have a good set of cards on their hands.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Do we have weight stats for the E90 generally yet? I would imagine that the E90 M3 would have a similar weight relationship to the E46 M3 that the E90 and E46 330s have, though BMW M might decide to get more aggressive on the use of CF and aluminum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hope the M3 does make use of more carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium. However, that to me says much more $$$ if you have an accident or slip up at the track. Imagine how much it would be to replace a full carbon fiber air dam. Eek, I think I can already hear insurance rates jumping up. Oh well, odds are if it is anything close to the E60 M5, this car will more than make up for it's expenses with endless smiles.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
414 BHP going to 500 bhp!

Where does this end? Are we going to have 750bhp road cars in about 10 years time?

This is turning into a power war.

·
Registered
455 Posts
bernhtp said:
Do we have weight stats for the E90 generally yet? I would imagine that the E90 M3 would have a similar weight relationship to the E46 M3 that the E90 and E46 330s have, though BMW M might decide to get more aggressive on the use of CF and aluminum.
As far as i remember, the weight gains are tiny considering it is a bigger car.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
bernhtp said:

Yes, that can be determined from the manufacture's literature available at the dealer or on-line. Also, magazine tests have the info.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just_me said:
This is info from Scott26, insider from BMW. I seen info from him before anyone else heard of it and all info I heard from him has always been correct. So its a big chance this is true.

414 bhp
Coupe , Sedan , Touring and Coupe - Cabrio body styles
Alluminium front end
innovative chassis design
SMG drivelogic 7 speed
Manual gearbox 6 speed
Carbon fibre roof ( Coupe only)
Magnesium components
Thermo plastic body parts.
Lighter high performance CSL

The next M3 as always will be the flagship of the 3er portfolio. And will be available as coupe, sedan and then a high performance touring version.
The reintroduction of a sedan and the introduction of a Touring was chosen because we realise we are losing customers who want the practicality . The logical choice would be Alpina but many defect to other manufacturers.

The next M3 will receive a high rev V8 evolved from the latest V10 - Basically two cylinders removed but no less spectacular.
due to increasing competition ,power up to 414BHP The next CSL will head into 500 BHP territory.
Specified , top speed could be unlimited up to 180 or 190mph. Six speed manual gearbox and optional Seven speed SMG. drivelogic.

The next M3 is all about progress - We upgrade the current car (E46) to todays requirements , add tweak here, more developments , new materials and remove some weight from there.

The Coupe is expected to follow the M6 with a carbon fibre roof however both a metal roof and carbon fibre have beeen tested to see which one emphasizes the cars capabilities. Carbon fibre won. As it will be positioned as the top M3 variant. More use of cabrbon fibre and composite plastic as seen with M6. Structure and chassis will benefit with use of alluminium for exceptional ride quality , rigidity and handling.

The next M3 is known as the 100%er
As a car especially a performance it can do no wrong - The appeal of the M3 will still be there but with the use of lightweight materials . This evolution will give a feel of nostalgia by mirroring past M3 achievements.

In giving a strong character and a driving experience like no other car on the market. Audi may have 420BHP RS4 - but they have 4.2 engine and quattro technology = weight penallty.

The next M3 will fully be seen in all body styles of the 3er E90 platform -
think of it as an M3 for all types of users. Sedan for the family , Coupe for the enthusiast , cabrio for the sunseekers and Touring for the capacity. All to known coupe-cabrio as 4er - BMW have now changed their mind and will develop a new 4er car from the ground up - What shape this is to be in is not known as yet.

Here is a nice picture I found

I am just loving your M3 post. Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is see if I stick with an M6 Manual or wait for M3 Manual. ouich

·
Registered
573 Posts
so lemme get this straight, if history repeats it's self, in about 5 M3 generations we'll be hitting the 1000HP?

also, whom here prefers manual over SMG? i traded in my 6 speed manual E46 M3 and got the new M5 in SMG, i love the SMG, but 6 speed manual has the endge over SMG when it comes to "when you wanna shift".

anyways, so hopefully by next summer we'll see the E90 M3 in concept form at the show?

also when is BMW unvieling the 3 series cope, and when is it expected to be sold?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mad_Al said:
the audi rs4 is going to hit sales jan 2006, i dont think bmw will will wait until 2007 to unveil their car.
I hope so.....i'm dying to see what the next M3 would look like....chances are that i would purchase it 99.999999999999999999%

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
marwan said:
also, whom here prefers manual over SMG? i traded in my 6 speed manual E46 M3 and got the new M5 in SMG, i love the SMG, but 6 speed manual has the endge over SMG when it comes to "when you wanna shift".
ssshhhhhh... don't say that too loud or the SMG guys might here you and bring the war here too!

BTW, I prefer manual over SMG so much that if forced, I may have just bought my last new M car from BMW.

·
Registered
573 Posts
vndkshn said:
ssshhhhhh... don't say that too loud or the SMG guys might here you and bring the war here too!

BTW, I prefer manual over SMG so much that if forced, I may have just bought my last new M car from BMW.
well the current M5 and the next generation M3 would both be offered in 7 speed SMG, and 6 speed manual. so nothing to worry about buddy :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts