BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my set and installed them today.

They are truly works of art - the innovation in design & engineering is something I've truly not seen yet for this platform.

I posted the product introduction here.

I'm working on first impressions, installed pictures, clips and an introductory community group buy most likely next week if all checks out! I'm hoping to combine this with ID's stage 1 tuning as an option.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Carbon Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ditto on price and do they use the stock accordion hose connecting them to the plenums? Also are you going to dyno before and after? Either way exciting to see any new development for the S85

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditto on price and do they use the stock accordion hose connecting them to the plenums? Also are you going to dyno before and after? Either way exciting to see any new development for the S85
They do!

It also comes with a new breather filter and brackets to fit with the OEM breather hose in the stock passenger air box. It also has a water filler cup bracket that's neatly fitted into the chassis.

I will pair this with Infinity's stage 1 tuning. It would be a great, "affordable" bolt on package for improved throttle response, some extra induction noise and a bit more power.

I was initially planning on reserving dyno for the long tube header installation + stage 2 tune. I may reserve my plans, but this is my winter daily right now.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Look great! This may be in the cards for me. I don't see these listed in the Infinity products page. Maybe they are still considered prototype?

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted my first impressions and detailed pictures at instagram.com/m3_epoustouflant/

Fully sealed intakes making use of the brilliant air flow design ducts of the OEM front bumper.

No rivets.
No exposed filter.
----
I will combine this with Infinity's own stage 1 tune by next week and film clips. This could be a relatively inexpensive "response" augmentation package for S85 owners.

Reflex camera Automotive lighting Camera lens Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Digital camera

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Black Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keep in mind...These were made with both performance and efficiency in mind. If you have Eventuri intakes and you enjoy the loud induction sound, keep them.....these don't sound like that all...they sound like stock air boxes but with the added benefit of having a much larger filter area allowing better airflow. The fit and finish is absolutely top notch.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I don't think putting a car on a standard dyno will tell you much about the performance gains of an intake. Typically gains from intakes are throttle response and maybe some power at higher speeds due to the higher airflow being rammed into the intakes. Intakes are not going to increase HP much, which is all a dyno will show. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep in mind...These were made with both performance and efficiency in mind. If you have Eventuri intakes and you enjoy the loud induction sound, keep them.....these don't sound like that all...they sound like stock air boxes but with the added benefit of having a much larger filter area allowing better airflow. The fit and finish is absolutely top notch.
I'm with you on that.

There's more growl - but it doesn't scream like a carbon plenum'ed S65. If you have a loud exhaust, you will drown it out. I will have Infinity stage 1 tune this next week and will record proper clips with my shotgun mic.

The throttle response improvements are immediately noticeable, and the design & engineering is simply on another level.

The integrated MAF on the upper housings.
The lack of rivets
The sealed design and lack of filter exposure.
The OEM ducts fitment.

There's nothing like it and will find its own spot on the market. Anyone who aligns this with Dinan & Eventuri really is missing the point of these.

This should be a seen as a response enhancement package, which the S85 really, really needs IMO.

Sound will be solved with the upcoming 1 piece CS style carbon plenum - I am like a kid on Christmas Eve thinking of this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very very nice

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'm with you on that.

There's more growl - but it doesn't scream like a carbon plenum'ed S65. If you have a loud exhaust, you will drown it out. I will have Infinity stage 1 tune this next week and will record proper clips with my shotgun mic.

The throttle response improvements are immediately noticeable, and the design & engineering is simply on another level.

The integrated MAF on the upper housings.
The lack of rivets
The sealed design and lack of filter exposure.
The OEM ducts fitment.

There's nothing like it and will find its own spot on the market. Anyone who aligns this with Dinan & Eventuri really is missing the point of these.

This should be a seen as a response enhancement package, which the S85 really, really needs IMO.

Sound will be solved with the upcoming 1 piece CS style carbon plenum - I am like a kid on Christmas Eve thinking of this.
I am curious if there are performance gains over my Dinan airboxes. If you want to send me a set for testing I'd be happy to do some 60-130 runs with both to get real life results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Here’s my set with the CarboProject air boxes :)

(I assume that given they’re listed for sale now on your website Matt, Sal is fine with posting photos of them online)

Fitment was spot on and installation took about 30mins total. Only issue was that the breather filter kept slipping off the 3D printed coupling - resolved by roughing up the coupling mating surface with some 80 grit sandpaper and reinstalling.

I can’t comment on performance gain in isolation, as I got the Infinity Design tune installed at the same time.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts