BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did a in depth review time ago
EDIT: my bad, this review is about the IDheaders combined with FAMS, not the ID tune

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
They all come from a couple of common sources but you can modify a few different things

I had an evolve tune and it pinged a little, turns out au fuel is good compared to the rest of the world
Gots the faams tune and still pinged
Had to do stock timing

Re the smg tune, its good but if dsc is off i find it crap, as s1-s6 is absolutely brutal, too harsh, he missed the mark on it
I always drive dsc off in m mode

Hes not sitting there writing lines of code like this

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
They all come from a couple of common sources but you can modify a few different things

I had an evolve tune and it pinged a little, turns out au fuel is good compared to the rest of the world
Gots the faams tune and still pinged
Had to do stock timing

Re the smg tune, its good but if dsc is off i find it crap, as s1-s6 is absolutely brutal, too harsh, he missed the mark on it

Hes not sitting there writing lines of code like this

wouldn’t it not ping if the fuel was good?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I dont know

Am i meant to move countries to find out?? Our ppm content of sulphur is like 10 times more than other countries

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I dont know

Am i meant to move countries to find out?? Our ppm content of sulphur is like 10 times more than other countries
Still high sulfur in today’s US gas
?
Decades ago, BMW stopped selling engines with Nickasil coated cylinders in the US, they claimed high sulfur in US gas compromises bores.

BP marketed low sulfur fuel in the US a while back, the Ads showed a glass of completely clear fuel next to a glass of water, I do not believe anyone paid for the price premium however.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agreed with everything you stated. So why should we believe you? Please don't take this the wrong way it's great that you're supporting our platform just want you to explain why yours is different (is it?).

Maybe Jim started from the same common source you claim everyone uses - I don't know. I've heard claims to all tunes having a common source before. But he did offer unique options at the time (SMG tweaks, custom oil change intervals) and some that are inherent to any tune (increased rev limiter, fuel and timing tweaks, vanos changes, etc.). From personal experience (and I've stated a few times elsewhere) the SMG changes are to me the only feature making Jim's tune worth it. And he did tweak tunes for individual users - I asked for a unique OCI and NO increased rev limiter so there was some back and forth until everything was right. Based on this it doesn't seem he was selling just a canned tune.

Now this is the first time I've seen anyone else advertise SMG tweaks so can you tell us more how yours compares? And just what's the story on the SMG tweaks, was it Jim who developed it, this common source you speak of, maybe yours licensed to Jim, etc.?
I have no issues with your questions. Actually, very much like them.

All tunes have a common source yes. The information of where the maps are and how to scale them correctly is all something that has to be purchased.
Usually a calibration is sold with them and this is what most of the tuners will use without making any real changes. The changes are very general percentile increases to the fuel, ignition and throttle maps. That's what most people are buying.

You then have tuners who do what they do as their own passion. They own their own car, they have datalogging equipment, use dyno's and actually understand how an engine works.
They will make calibration changes from scratch and use a methodical way of doing so.

I have been tuning the S85 platform since around 2010 when I owned Evolve. I have been making custom changes based on customer requirements on the S85, S62, S54, S50, N54, S63, S65, Mini....etc
What's more I did a huge amount of actual custom mapping both on my own dyno and remotely working with dyno operators around the world. Not just stock setups but also strokers, supercharged setups, NA engines with different cams ( the hardest of all!). Once full throttle tuning was done we moved to actual on road fuel mapping using datalogging of the fuel adaptions to get the tunes to operate without the ECU needing to make heavy adaptive changes and therefore creating engines which performed consistently.

I was the one who supplied FAMS with the map locations and multiple different calibrations changes including AlphaN.
There was little he could really alter in terms of changing the maps themselves. This is one of the most developed and tested calibrations on the market running on many hundreds of cars all over the world with no issues with engine damage or any issue at that matter.

If someone wants 8500rpm combined with no changes to ignition and only vanos and cold start delete, it's no issue at all. It's just about choosing which maps to alter and which ones to leave alone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@InfinityDesign - I think everyone is hoping that your tune will be the FAMS replacement especially since FAMS is at least for the moment not an option. I know I am. While there seems to be some unhappiness with FAMS as a shop towards the end I've yet to ever read anything bad/negative about the tune, quite the opposite it seems a lot of folks switched from something else to FAMS so it seems to be the benchmark.
It's most definitely the option.
As you can see from my previous replies to other posts....

Those with FAMS tunes should stick to them, I know exactly what they are. Anyone wishing to have the exact same calibration changes can use me. However I do not play around with oil change intervals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ll be the guinea pig and report back. I’ve already ordered it.
I’m also jumping on and purchasing the tune. I’m also going to purchase the new exhaust when they develop it. Thanks for the info!

For those of you thinking where to get this tune from. The only place you can get it is through M Power Motorsports.

The price is just right. And now that Sal has confirmed that he was FAMS tune was actually designed by him, we know where to get our tune. We really don’t have any other option out there.

·
2,847 Posts
Alright sounds like FAMS and Infinity may be very similar then. Plus cheaper.

@InfinityDesign why not change OCI? Jim used to.

@AbdulM you def want to highlight the SMG tweaks on your website.

Oh yeah Jim stated you're the only one who've complained if memory is right. I can say my S1-6 shifts are great, nothing like what you describe.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My friend in australia has noted the same he just doesnt care.
Just because no one else mentions it doesnt mean it exists, i drove his car and it performs as described which is wrong
To not have any difference in shift speeds or harshless is simply a lazy development of understanding
I picked up on it within 10 mins of driving, no one else did

Try stock tune dsc off s1-6 and feel the difference in each at wot and redline

Now do it with fams! Its messed up

If you dont shift wot or redline or dsc off its non issue
Unfortunately i drive with wot and redline and dsc off all the time

Most people use mdm mode and most people accept things for what they are i dont

Perhape its related to uk or australian cars and the smg software thats
In it i dont know

·
2,847 Posts
I'll give it a try when weather gets nicer. That's how I drive at the track anyway... But as someone told you last time, dsc off wot shift at s1... Really?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Perhape its related to uk or australian cars and the smg software thats
In it i dont know
On the forum here I have seen an example of failed tuning between a Euro car and an US tuner because of the DMTL system. I don't know what difference is in this regards or why it failed, may be @InfinityDesign can give us some info on this.
I am concerned as I do have a Euro car and skeptical on using an US tuner if they are not an original turner not a source feed tuner.
I don't think the AU is differ from the UK and I don't think the UK is differ from the Euro versions.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Anyone wishing to have the exact same calibration changes can use me.
I can use you. I have a coming up project on my S85 installing Schrick 296 cams this summer, then later on transplant it to an E30 M3 shell. Initially I want to use the original mss65 Ecu, and if you willing to work with me on it. We can establish an online file and data logging transfer.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'll give it a try when weather gets nicer. That's how I drive at the track anyway... But as someone told you last time, dsc off wot shift at s1... Really?
Yes it does seem stupid when you say that

However try s4-5-6
It has a difference and benifits

On the fams tune its all the same

So i gain at low speed which i dont care about, and miss additonal functionality at high speed/rpm
So for me its a fail

·
Registered
93 Posts
On the forum here I have seen an example of failed tuning between a Euro car and an US tuner because of the DMTL system. I don't know what difference is in this regards or why it failed, may be @InfinityDesign can give us some info on this.
I am concerned as I do have a Euro car and skeptical on using an US tuner if they are not an original turner not a source feed tuner.
I don't think the AU is differ from the UK and I don't think the UK is differ from the Euro versions.
Never had this issue. I have been tuning cars from all regions.
If tuners are getting this wrong it's because they are over writing maps which they aren't meant to touch. Just another case of 'copy paste' tuning without knowing what the maps are for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can use you. I have a coming up project on my S85 installing Schrick 296 cams this summer, then later on transplant it to an E30 M3 shell. Initially I want to use the original mss65 Ecu, and if you willing to work with me on it. We can establish an online file and data logging transfer.
Most welcome. Using the OEM ECU is the best way and it's not difficult to setup. Tuning for the cams is quite time consuming. Lots of patience required but luckily we are dealing with a good DME so the engine will run pretty good even on the stock map. Will deal with the fuel maps first through data logging and then move on to refining the vanos maps.

I am currently working on developing two sets of headers for that E30 M3 swap. Not easy!

·
Registered
2006 M5
374 Posts
I wish we had something similar to Eurodyne Maestro like we have for VAG cars, would make data logging, adjusting tables and tuning so easy to do on our own.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Was very let down that after years of waiting, the FAMS tune disappeared as an option right when I wanted to buy. Glad to see we can still get the same performance from ID now. Will definitely be reaching out in the near future.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts