BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Infinity Design tune sold by M Power Motorsports? Reviews?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't know anyone who has used them. I went with BPM sport for my M3 and M5 and am happy with it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found that the other day try to find some reviews and found this thread, was thinking the same thing, price is tempting compare to others.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
infinty used to work for evolve and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hey there,
I can recommend the Evolve ECU Flash Stage 1 with no doubt. Car feels more alive and definitely has more pressure especially at lower RPMs. Ive been running my E61 M5 without any errors or failures in the log for thousands of kilometers. BUT I ve replaced rod bearings and idle accurators at 90k KMs. NOW my baby has 112k KMs on the clock.
I would always reflash my ECU with Evolve Stage 1. I paid 750€ for the ECU Flash in Germany which I did on my own. The reprogrammed Software was bought in Germany but was delivered via eMail from the US.

Secondly if your seeking a high pitched and pretty loud Exhaust Sound I can recommend the Eisenmann Race for 2k €.

Both together would be 2750€ and its an extreme increase concerning Emotions and Drivability.

You should definitely replace rod bearings before anything else!

Flo
The s85 is already a highly tuned engine to start with, trying to get a power increase via tune only that one can feel is risky without being able to verify quality of gas in your neighborhood.

One of the compromises of the BMW high speed engine concept is a short stroke design in order to reduce piston acceleration in order to avoid ring flutter.

The result is loss of low end torque due to reduced lever arm length to turn the crank over at low rpm.
thus it concerns me when I hear of a tune increasing torque at low rpm, this can only be done by approaching the limits of safe smooth combustion.
I expect this tune to be hammering the rod bearings pretty good at low rpm where hydrodynamic lubrication is just getting going.

High speed engine designs are happiest at high rpm, where there is little wear on rod bearings.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The s85 is already a highly tuned engine to start with, trying to get a power increase via tune only that one can feel is risky without being able to verify quality of gas in your neighborhood.

One of the compromises of the BMW high speed engine concept is a short stroke design in order to reduce piston acceleration in order to avoid ring flutter.

The result is loss of low end torque due to reduced lever arm length to turn the crank over at low rpm.
thus it concerns me when I hear of a tune increasing torque at low rpm, this can only be done by approaching the limits of safe smooth combustion.
I expect this tune to be hammering the rod bearings pretty good at low rpm where hydrodynamic lubrication is just getting going.

High speed engine designs are happiest at high rpm, where there is little wear on rod bearings.
I designed and worked on that tune for many years. The low end torque increase is marginal. The majority effect is created from faster throttle response and larger throttle opening. Hence why people say they feel more torque.
There are however gains from the midrange onwards, especially 6000-8000rpm.

·
2,847 Posts
I designed and worked on that tune for many years. The low end torque increase is marginal. The majority effect is created from faster throttle response and larger throttle opening. Hence why people say they feel more torque.
Jim (FAMS) stated that other tunes would disable knock sensing in order to gain peak HP. Can you confirm the gains you talk about are done at the expense of knock sensing (be it disabling altogether, increasing stock knock thresholds or any other change to knock control)?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jim (FAMS) stated that other tunes would disable knock sensing in order to gain peak HP. Can you confirm the gains you talk about are done at the expense of knock sensing (be it disabling altogether, increasing stock knock thresholds or any other change to knock control)?
This is just marketing talk which tuners all throw at each other to put one another down. It's been going on for years.

Hardly any of them even knows what they are changing, just copying what was sold to them from a particular source. They wouldn't know what a knock table looks like or even understand that map location without all of the details from the corresponding DAMOS file which hardly any one has.

Changing the knock thresholds is not required to make power. It is done via increasing cylinder pressure with alterations in valve overlap and setting higher ignition targets.
Knock thresholds can be changed if wished but you just need to be careful with where you set it but then no change must be made to the relatively safe OEM timing targets.

Where many tunes fail (as the past has shown) is they usually lose power. The tuners ramp up the timing targets and minimum timing so high that the ECU cannot pull back enough timing anyway to stop knock. This is the most dangerous strategy and the one which is most commonly used. Does an amazing job on the dyno under relatively little load but things change on the road under real dynamic load in high gear pulls.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is just marketing talk which tuners all throw at each other to put one another down. It's been going on for years.

Hardly any of them even knows what they are changing, just copying what was sold to them from a particular source. They wouldn't know what a knock table looks like or even understand that map location without all of the details from the corresponding DAMOS file which hardly any one has.

Changing the knock thresholds is not required to make power. It is done via increasing cylinder pressure with alterations in valve overlap and setting higher ignition targets.
Knock thresholds can be changed if wished but you just need to be careful with where you set it but then no change must be made to the relatively safe OEM timing targets.

Where many tunes fail (as the past has shown) is they usually lose power. The tuners ramp up the timing targets and minimum timing so high that the ECU cannot pull back enough timing anyway to stop knock. This is the most dangerous strategy and the one which is most commonly used. Does an amazing job on the dyno under relatively little load but things change on the road under real dynamic load in high gear pulls.
The Master Tuner has spoken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I found that the other day try to find some reviews and found this thread, was thinking the same thing, price is tempting compare to others.
I’m sorry for not replying earlier. We just launched this tune in the states. Many cars have this tune in other parts of the world. Infinity Design (Sal) is one of the most, if not the most, respected and knowledgeable tuners out there. All of us are in love with the (FAMS) tune. Jim basically bought the tune from Infinity and rebranded it and sold it.

We all have been waiting for a better alternative for a tune for our cars. It’s here. The Infinity Design Tune exclusively sold at ///M Power Motorsports. More pictures and details to come on a separate thread. You can PM me for any details.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Throttle response is what I believe to be what makes naturally aspirated M-cars so much fun on the road ( who cares about dyno #’s)

“ Does an amazing job on the dyno under relatively little load but things change on the road under real dynamic load in high gear pulls”
This is never talked about by tuners but should be, so many great insights, well done.

Other cars with a 100 lb-ft more torque can never respond quick enough to close the gap I am shooting for.
6000-8000 is a very useful range to have a power increase on track, while corvettes fall on their face at higher rpm thus looking to grab the next gear, the s85 top end charge is mesmerizing , no need to upshift at end of straights.
Today’s performance cars are compromised with fuel saving software, that substantially curtails engine response, always an eye opener when back in my m5 after test driving a new car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Throttle response is what I believe to be what makes naturally aspirated M-cars so much fun on the road ( who cares about dyno #’s)

“ Does an amazing job on the dyno under relatively little load but things change on the road under real dynamic load in high gear pulls”
This is never talked about by tuners but should be, so many great insights, well done.

Other cars with a 100 lb-ft more torque can never respond quick enough to close the gap I am shooting for.
6000-8000 is a very useful range to have a power increase on track, while corvettes fall on their face at higher rpm thus looking to grab the next gear, the s85 top end charge is mesmerizing , no need to upshift at end of straights.
Today’s performance cars are compromised with fuel saving software, that substantially curtails engine response, always an eye opener when back in my m5 after test driving a new car.
100% Agreed.
NA gives such a massive advantage with it's response.
My current turbo M5 really does lack in this department. No where near as fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’m sorry for not replying earlier. We just launched this tune in the states. Many cars have this tune in other parts of the world. Infinity Design (Sal) is one of the most, if not the most, respected and knowledgeable tuners out there. All of us are in love with the (FAMS) tune. Jim basically bought the tune from Infinity and rebranded it and sold it.

We all have been waiting for a better alternative for a tune for our cars. It’s here. The Infinity Design Tune exclusively sold at ///M Power Motorsports. More pictures and details to come on a separate thread. You can PM me for any details.

Does this mean the Infinity tune has the SMG smoothing everyone talks about from FAMS?

·
2,847 Posts
Agreed with everything you stated. So why should we believe you? Please don't take this the wrong way it's great that you're supporting our platform just want you to explain why yours is different (is it?).

Maybe Jim started from the same common source you claim everyone uses - I don't know. I've heard claims to all tunes having a common source before. But he did offer unique options at the time (SMG tweaks, custom oil change intervals) and some that are inherent to any tune (increased rev limiter, fuel and timing tweaks, vanos changes, etc.). From personal experience (and I've stated a few times elsewhere) the SMG changes are to me the only feature making Jim's tune worth it. And he did tweak tunes for individual users - I asked for a unique OCI and NO increased rev limiter so there was some back and forth until everything was right. Based on this it doesn't seem he was selling just a canned tune.

Now this is the first time I've seen anyone else advertise SMG tweaks so can you tell us more how yours compares? And just what's the story on the SMG tweaks, was it Jim who developed it, this common source you speak of, maybe yours licensed to Jim, etc.?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agreed with everything you stated. So why should we believe you? Please don't take this the wrong way just want you to explain why yours is different (is it?).

Maybe Jim started from the same common source you claim everyone uses - I don't know. I've heard claims to all tunes having a common source before. But he did offer unique options at the time (SMG tweaks, custom oil change intervals) and some that are inherent to any tune (increased rev limiter, fuel and timing tweaks, vanos changes, etc.). From personal experience (and I've stated a few times elsewhere) the SMG changes are to me the only feature making Jim's tune worth it. And he did tweak tuned for individual users. Based on this it doesn't seem eh was just selling a canned tune.

Now this is the first time I've seen anyone else advertise SMG tweaks so can you tell us more how yours compares? And just what's the story on the SMG tweaks, was it Jim who developed it, this common source you speak of, maybe yours licensed to Jim, etc.?
@InfinityDesign - I think everyone is hoping that your tune will be the FAMS replacement especially since FAMS is at least for the moment not an option. I know I am. While there seems to be some unhappiness with FAMS as a shop towards the end I've yet to ever read anything bad/negative about the tune, quite the opposite it seems a lot of folks switched from something else to FAMS so it seems to be the benchmark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed with everything you stated. So why should we believe you? Please don't take this the wrong way it's great that you're supporting our platform just want you to explain why yours is different (is it?).

Maybe Jim started from the same common source you claim everyone uses - I don't know. I've heard claims to all tunes having a common source before. But he did offer unique options at the time (SMG tweaks, custom oil change intervals) and some that are inherent to any tune (increased rev limiter, fuel and timing tweaks, vanos changes, etc.). From personal experience (and I've stated a few times elsewhere) the SMG changes are to me the only feature making Jim's tune worth it. And he did tweak tunes for individual users - I asked for a unique OCI and NO increased rev limiter so there was some back and forth until everything was right. Based on this it doesn't seem he was selling just a canned tune.

I’ll be the guinea pig and report back. I’ve already ordered it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts