BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just installed the Graco SnugRide base in the M and it seems that it only really fits well when installed either on the left or right of the rear seat but not the middle. I would prefer to have it installed in the middle but the should belt causes the car seat to be raised on one side. Has anyone had luck installing it in the middle? I also read that the 2001+ M5's were LATCH compatible but only able to find tether connectors on the rear deck and not between the seat cushions (like my wifes RX300 which makes for a very easy and secure mounting).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Osodog said:
I also read that the 2001+ M5's were LATCH compatible but only able to find tether connectors on the rear deck and not between the seat cushions (like my wifes RX300 which makes for a very easy and secure mounting).

Thanks.
I also have a 2001 Model Year M5, and did not find any between seat latch connections, unlike my 2004 Cayenne S. I installed the infant seat on the passenger side for easy curb side access. Have there been safety studies on best positioning for a one seat install in a sedan?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Osodog said:
I had the rear side airbags disabled but in the event of a hit in the rear, my concern would be about intrusions into the vehicle and the passenger on that side. I have not read any studies on this but I have not yet spend much time googling the topic.
Thanks. My rear side airbags are also disabled. I guess you could also look at the most frequent impact areas in an accident too. My guess would be that cars are often hit by oncoming traffic during left hand turns at signals. (Which could make the passenger side location kind of questionable).

But, I also, haven't done any additional research.

Do you think the front seats might offer additional crash protection (to a child seat mounted rear side) from a frontal impact, that a center rear mount might not offer?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From everything I have read and heard, you never, ever put a child in the front seat unless you have no other option. I would think that there is a greater risk of getting hit from the front as you suggested or the front side than the rear side (no research to prove this though). I am okay with the rear side since I think the 5 series are fairly safe vehicles to begin with and with a kid in the car, I doubt I will be driving with any exuberance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used a rolled up towel to balance things out in the middle. Worked fine until we had our second. Now I got a booster on one side and a child seat on the other.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Latch D rings between seats

The Latch attachment points between the seat cushions are only on the 2003 models (9/02 production and up... I believe the law went into effect in the US in 9/02). When I was looking to buy a 2002 I was told by my dealer that it wasn't possible to retrofit them either.

As an aside my wife's 2002 Audi was retrofitted by the dealer (no charge).

Once you've installed the car seat it's a good idea to swing by your local fire/police dept. and have the installation checked.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interestingly I was told by BMW NA that the 2001+ did have LATCH even though it was not required by law but the caveat is that there are only tether attachments on the rear deck ONLY, not between the seats, which I believe will come in handy when locking down forward facing seats but not rear facing (infants).

I also found a site called www.seatcheck.org that will point you to the proper inspection folks in your area. I have a call into the local FD to have inspections done on both vehicles.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
Do you think the front seats might offer additional crash protection from a frontal impact, that a center mount might not offer?
I would think that the car seat getting hit with the open space in front of the middle position is better than getting hit with a front seat (pasenger or driver) crashing backwards....

In the incredibly unlikely event of a protrustion into the compartment then maybe the seat would block it. But in most catastrophic accidents the compartment collapses and the occupants strike the interior of the compartment. The more room between the occupant and the compartment walls the better.

So, my vote is middle position- never had to use it in the M, but in several prior cars.

A

·
Registered
97 Posts
Osodog said:
Interestingly I was told by BMW NA that the 2001+ did have LATCH even though it was not required by law but the caveat is that there are only tether attachments on the rear deck ONLY, not between the seats, which I believe will come in handy when locking down forward facing seats but not rear facing (infants).

I also found a site called www.seatcheck.org that will point you to the proper inspection folks in your area. I have a call into the local FD to have inspections done on both vehicles.
That sounds right... 2001-2002 have the tethers but not the D rings. For rear facing seats I was told by a Britex rep to run the tether attachements under the rear seats and up the back of the seatbacks to the attachement points on the rear deck. I'm not sure if this is possible on the M5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an MY 2000 - The center seat indeed has D-Rings in the center seat area- with the car seat we recently purchased, it has two seat belt looking type straps on either side that attach to the D-Rings, and then cinch down - plus I then tie it off at the back tether strap.

My thoughts are for an infant carrier, in the center rear is the best and safest spot.

FWIW

·
Registered
266 Posts
I do not have the studies handy, but the center of the rear seat is optimal. I am certain that a child or infant seat can be securely mounted in the center of the rear seat using the seatbelt.

If you are having trouble achieving a solid attachment, take the seat to your local fire department. All fire departments offer the service of showing people how to attach the seat.

I urge you to use the middle of the seat.

TexasM5

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
TexasM5 said:
I urge you to use the middle of the seat.

TexasM5
Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

I plan to move to the center (rear) seat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have 3 kids, but they have all now outgrown the required child seats.

I have often contemplated ways to strap them into the trunk, but nothing seemed to work out. The mesh cargo net does not seem to hold them in place real well, and the wife was not much of an advocate of the idea either. :eek:h:

I almost bought a bus on one long trip, just to see if I could put 10' between each kid. Lots of wailing and knashing of teeth going on. In the end, I just couldnt go with a bus. Not my style.

I found that a fly swatter works pretty well if you need to reach into the back to quiet them down a bit

Oh well, I'm sure they will be out of the house one day, and I will miss these times. Then they will probably drop off the grand kids while they go on vacation without me :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, I just installed the Graco SnugRide base in the M and it seems that it only really fits well when installed either on the left or right of the rear seat but not the middle. I would prefer to have it installed in the middle but the should belt causes the car seat to be raised on one side. Has anyone had luck installing it in the middle? I also read that the 2001+ M5's were LATCH compatible but only able to find tether connectors on the rear deck and not between the seat cushions (like my wifes RX300 which makes for a very easy and secure mounting).

Thanks.
I have a MY2000 E39 m5. I found 1 feather connectors between the seat cushions on each side of the center. It was a stretch for the tethers to reach, but I finally go it. They are offset in the two side seats towards the center. There appear to be a gold color, and triangular.

My backseat air bags are disabled so when the baby gets a front facing seat she could be on the left or right side instead of center.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Disabling the air bags DOES NOT stop the door from being crushed into the baby if you get T-boned.....middle better
You are right. but when you have two kids what's the solution? :) only 1 goes to disney?
BMWs are very solid cars maybe one of the best out there. My father was T boned by a tractor trailer in his Z4 and he walked away. They are tanks!
if you have the option of center, that is best. Absolutely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 17 month old girl and we just went through this; researching, buying car seats, etc. Center is the safest place for them, assuming you don't have two kids. Also, rear facing is recommended until age 2 (this was recently revised up from 12 months, IIRC.)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My son is outgrowing the M5, or at least in the Recaro seat we have in the car currently. I think the large frame and padding of this seat is to blame. He recently turned 2 years old (Oct 5) and with the Recaro in the back seat, behind me, the driver, his feet barely fit between the child seat and the back of my drivers seat. I tried in the past to place the seat behind the passenger seat, which has a lot more room, but I felt it was too dangerous not being able to see out the back or side windows when lane changing. So I quickly went back to having it behind the driver.

I will probably look into other safe seats that are not as large as the Recaro. I, and my son love the Recaro seat. He really seems to like it with its padding and looks very comfortable in it. But he seems to be outgrowing it in this car as it is a very large seat.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Look at the Diono Radian seats. They are fairly slim to offer quite a bit more clearance, but I don't like the impressions they leave in the leather. Even though they are smaller it is still a heavy seat that feels well built. It also doubles as a booster seat when the kids outgrow the regular car-seat. I currently use it in my wife's car.

I'm also using a Recaro seat now, it is quite substantial. I may move it to the center to try and get a bit bit more life out of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts